66 replies to this topic

#1 Jinroh OFFLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• 704 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:46 PM

Hey guys,

Dunno if I'll ever get back to this, if so it's on the long range scanner, but figured it's pointless to let it sit on the HD and nobody ever gets to play around with it. I put it on hold to do Carrot Kingdom. :D

So I made this back in May/June. Darryl1970 made a sweet single frame Raiden sprite, and I took and ran with it. I made a crapload of animations for Raiden and started Sub-Zero.

Some of the fight logic is in there, but still buggy with changing rounds and such. You can punch, uppercut, duck, move left and right. 1P/2P controlled by their respective joysticks. So you can kinda do a fight against another person.

So have fun! (For a few seconds)  :) If anyone wants any of the resources for an MK project, let me know I'm happy to share. :D Don't wanna really release the source atm though, because it's a mess as I was just playing around more or less.

MK1.png

Attached Files

• Attached File  MK1.bin   4KB   964 downloads

Edited by Jinroh, Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 PM.

#2 hendersonn OFFLINE  

hendersonn

Star Raider

• 57 posts

Posted Sat Jan 2, 2016 10:41 PM

Great potential! I hope you pick it back up at some point.

#3 Omegamatrix OFFLINE  

Omegamatrix

Quadrunner

• 6,241 posts

Posted Sat Jan 2, 2016 10:50 PM

Looks good so far! :)

#4 Jinroh OFFLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 704 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Tue Jan 5, 2016 2:24 PM

Thanks guys. :) Yeah it really wouldn't take TOO much to get a full round with special moves going, but other projects are chewing up my time. :D

Though we havea Papa's Street Fight World to play in the meantime. :D He's got some way better sprites going on.

#5 CrazyChris OFFLINE  

CrazyChris

Dragonstomper

• 965 posts

Posted Tue Jan 5, 2016 5:24 PM

Was this made with batari BASIC?

#6 Jinroh OFFLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 704 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Tue Jan 5, 2016 8:08 PM

No, actually, it is ASM with a 2 line kernel. :) A hastily put together ASM project, which is why it is a bit primitive.

Edited by Jinroh, Tue Jan 5, 2016 8:09 PM.

#7 triverse OFFLINE  

triverse

Dragonstomper

• 812 posts

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2016 10:07 PM

Loving the development here.  Wrote it up for the readers of my website and made a video - http://retrogamingma...rk-in-progress/

#8 Jinroh OFFLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 704 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2016 7:11 AM

Oh thanks man, really cool article. :)

I posted it here just in case I never get around to it, but Darryl1970 might prod me to pick it up again after Carrot Kingdom and a few other projects are done. Carrot Kingdom is way more impressive anyway. ;)

#9 Yosikuma OFFLINE  

Yosikuma

Star Raider

• 89 posts

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:14 PM

I am amused that, if you beat your opponent in this current build, you uppercut your foe for ETERNITY. ^o^

#10 Papa OFFLINE  

Papa

Dragonstomper

• 751 posts

Posted Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:09 PM

..and in the NARDS!  OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!  It's like a video stress ball!

#11 Jinroh OFFLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 704 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:23 PM

I know right? It's very cathartic. ;)

#12 Avario OFFLINE  

Avario

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:49 AM

Oh thanks man, really cool article. :)

I posted it here just in case I never get around to it, but Darryl1970 might prod me to pick it up again after Carrot Kingdom and a few other projects are done. And what is Phen375 do you know? Carrot Kingdom is way more impressive anyway. ;)

I hope that you do get back to this again one day Jinroh. I love games like this. So simple yet a lot of fun. I'll checkout Carrot Kingdom as well.

Edited by Avario, Mon May 16, 2016 11:03 AM.

#13 igorski81 OFFLINE  

igorski81

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:55 AM

Hey that's pretty darn impressive already!

#14 Jinroh OFFLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 704 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:40 PM

I hope that you do get back to this again one day Jinroh. I love games like this. So simple yet a lot of fun. I'll checkout Carrot Kingdom as well.

Hey that's pretty darn impressive already!

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. I actually have a fighting game idea I started on another platform so maybe it'll morph into that, if I decide not to make it Mortal Kombat, just in case Netherealm would wanna C&D or whatever. :)

Either way it'd be cool.

#15 Jinroh OFFLINE  

Jinroh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 704 posts
  • Catgirl Maid Lover

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2016 9:46 PM

Taking a mental break, adding a few incidental things to MK VCS.

MK1_1.png

#16 BNE Jeff OFFLINE  

BNE Jeff

Moonsweeper

• 385 posts

Posted Sat Jul 2, 2016 7:06 AM

Nice animation..  As far as the play goes, I was somewhat lost and inept, just like the real thing!

Have you ever considered enlarging the players?

Fight!

#17 GraziGamer OFFLINE  

GraziGamer

Chopper Commander

• 175 posts

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:11 PM

Wow like the project!  :D

I design the OpcodeGames boxes/labels/etc (ColecoVision).
If you need someone to develop the art box, labels, manuals, etc, you can count on me!   ;)

#18 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• 239 posts

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:23 PM

I'm sorry but pick this back the f@ck up. How do you make something this awesome and just leave it? Please tell me you'll keep going, this game would be killer

#19 MayDay OFFLINE  

MayDay

Moonsweeper

• 276 posts

Posted Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:29 PM

When I saw this, I began to wonder what might be possible for the 2600!  I mocked some stuff up, starting with the players, and eventually doing an entire screen.  This mockup would require both players to use both sprites.  This probably means flicker, but I wasn't sure if someone with more technical knowledge would be able to program that out?  Otherwise, a lot of this would be done simply with the playfield.  This isn't 100% pixel perfect, but it's pretty close.  I give you fan favorite, The Pit.  It is 240 pixels wide at a resolution of four pixels, so as to allow some side to side movement.  It is 192 pixels tall at a resolution of two pixels.

Mortal_Kombat_Full_Mockup2.gif

#20 MayDay OFFLINE  

MayDay

Moonsweeper

• 276 posts

Posted Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:54 PM

In the above mockup, players would be double wide sprites at a resolution of eight pixels and 40 pixels high.  The ninjas are easiest to create- here's a better look at them and the pixel breakdown.  I briefly looked at Raiden, but didn't get anything worth sharing.  Even using two double-wide sprites, it's tough to get something that looks nice.

ninja_mockups2.png

#21 MayDay OFFLINE  

MayDay

Moonsweeper

• 276 posts

Posted Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:24 PM

Another background with all fighters.  Still not fond of the Raided resting sprite:

Throne_Room_All_Fighters.png

#22 sn8k OFFLINE  

sn8k

Chopper Commander

• 239 posts

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2017 11:04 PM

This would be awesome.

#23 ZackAttack OFFLINE  

ZackAttack

Dragonstomper

• 762 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2017 12:26 PM

MayDay you need to be more careful about how many PF colors you put on a single scanline/row. Venetian blinds will let you get away with two, but any more than that will start to look bad. I've attempted to recreate this mockup in code. I made the columns wider because I'm lazy and it's easier to draw them procedurally if they are a multiple of 8 pixels wide. The kernel takes a bitmap though so they could have been thinner like in your drawing.

Now for the tricky sprite problem...

MK_PF_First_Attempt.png

#24 ZackAttack OFFLINE  

ZackAttack

Dragonstomper

• 762 posts

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:10 PM

Sprites sort of working. It's moving and resizing the missiles in order to avoid using flicker. Still need to handle positioning the sprites horizontally. Right now the X position is hardcoded in the kernel.

MK_PF_with_Sprites.png

#25 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,804 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:51 PM

shifting 2x or 4x players left/right on every scanline (reply #16) can be used to create smoother looking, and wider objects.  Extra width could be useful for extending the arms.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users