IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I hope Mr Lee shows up so we can "speculate with him" about the CC hardware.

Mike should be "speculated" into the oblivion of videogames, business and entrepreneurship in general.

I can definitely see Mr Lee (or Mike or whoever forgot to think it through and through) while attempting the fake proto (the Capture Card).

Trying to think if any existing console motherboard would look legit and thinking ... nahhhh the AA guys would "debuff" it way too quickly .... how about some Capture Card instead? That should keep them busy!!

[Did he happened to be sitting on one or did he have to order it on eBay or at the old "Capture Card" store? :-D ]

• Like 2

I'm sure a precedent could be found in "boardgames" vs "board games".

Man, this thread derailed quickly. Are we back to CPUWIZ's idea of "let it die" so soon, or are we just bidng time as we hope a wild Parrothead appears? :lol:

Uh-oh, I sense a potential holy war. "Video game" seems right to me. We do usually drop hyphens eventually in English but some things never need or get hyphens in the first place (ball game, card game, video card...). Bill has written books that spell it "videogame" though so I doubt that his mind will be changed by any arguments we could think up.

We Germans beat you by margins with doing that. :)

Haha yes I was going to comment that too, I'm watching Deutschland '83 at the moment and I know enough German to be on the lookout for the long compound words which I love.

• Like 2

Uh-oh, I sense a potential holy war. "Video game" seems right to me. We do usually drop hyphens eventually in English but some things never need or get hyphens in the first place (ball game, card game, video card...). Bill has written books that spell it "videogame" though so I doubt that his mind will be changed by any arguments we could think up.

I also like "video game." "Videogame" makes me want to go to a museum and throw poo at something pretty.

• Like 5

When terminology goes into common usage we tend to combine them rather than keep them seperate. ;)

Oh, right. Like "icecream" or "hotdogs"?

Edit: I'm just busting your chops, BTW. Don't take anything I say seriously. I'm still going to write it as "video games", though.

• Like 6

I see. Like remotecontrol, microwaveoven, laptopcomputer, integratedcircuit, and toiletpaper. :D

I understand the argument, but I obviously don't consider those good examples. It's OK, though, because it's always been an open issue (and I've written about it extensively in the past about my reasoning why) and you'll see plenty of uses of both (although, you'll only rarely see "video-game"; very rarely; like maybe once), and we'll no doubt continue to see plenty of uses of both for probably the next 40+ years. [side note, I also prefer "bodybuilding" to "body building," by the way.] Words are certainly a funny thing and probably what REALLY matters is being internally consistent.

Like I said, I can understand "video game" at least, but I can NEVER understand when someone writes "X-box" or "X-Box" for "Xbox." That's a pet peeve of mine. I'd love to track down who the first doofus was who tried to write it like that (by the way, when the writing counts, I try to be a stickler for the official designation for product names from the company's themselves, e.g., "Game Boy" over "GameBoy" or "PlayStation" over "Playstation.").

• Like 4

Do you guys write "retro gamer" or "retrogamer" ? I guess spacing them is correct like how "player" is separated from whatever sport is being played but I always want to combine retro gamer until the little squiggly red line tells me I'm an idiot.

Trying to bring the discussion back home. RETRO mag tells us video game is one word:

retro_mag.png

• Like 1

I understand the argument, but I obviously don't consider those good examples. It's OK, though, because it's always been an open issue (and I've written about it extensively in the past about my reasoning why) and you'll see plenty of uses of both (although, you'll only rarely see "video-game"; very rarely; like maybe once), and we'll no doubt continue to see plenty of uses of both for probably the next 40+ years. [side note, I also prefer "bodybuilding" to "body building," by the way.] Words are certainly a funny thing and probably what REALLY matters is being internally consistent.

Like I said, I can understand "video game" at least, but I can NEVER understand when someone writes "X-box" or "X-Box" for "Xbox." That's a pet peeve of mine. I'd love to track down who the first doofus was who tried to write it like that (by the way, when the writing counts, I try to be a stickler for the official designation for product names from the company's themselves, e.g., "Game Boy" over "GameBoy" or "PlayStation" over "Playstation.").

"Video-game" is dumb, and I don't think I'd even ever seen that before. "Xbox" is a proper noun so there is no debate, there.

I actually prefer "playing video games" to "bodybuilding", myself.

Do you guys write "retro gamer" or "retrogamer" ? I guess spacing them is correct like how "player" is separated from whatever sport is being played but I always want to combine retro gamer until the little squiggly red line tells me I'm an idiot.

Trying to bring the discussion back home. RETRO mag tells us video game is one word:

retro_mag.png

I don't think I ever really use the phrase "retro gamer" unless I am talking about the magazine, which if I'm not mistaken does separate the words. Could be wrong though. I do sometimes use the term "retrogaming" though, in which case for whatever reason I do stick them together into one word.

• Like 3

We Germans beat you by margins with doing that. :)

E.g. Kraftfahrzeughaftpflichtversicherung, Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft, Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, Nahrungsmittelunverträglichkeit...

Can you coin a nice German noun for "the feeling you get when a cartridge console that didn't even need to exist was proven to be a fake three times over and the usually loquacious person who thought of it has not appeared since losing his corporate sponsorship" please? Shadenfreude is a fine word but it isn't quite specific enough.

• Like 4

retro_mag.png

I spell it "Classic Gamer."

Retro, while commonly used, is incorrect. Retro is something modern, with design that invokes the past, like Shovel Knight, Volgarr the Viking or even things like Mega Man 9 and 10.

Classic games are the old games that came out decades ago.

• Like 4

Can you coin a nice German noun for "the feeling you get when a cartridge console that didn't even need to exist was proven to be a fake three times over and the usually loquacious person who thought of it has not appeared since losing his corporate sponsorship" please? Shadenfreude is a fine word but it isn't quite specific enough.

Mikenfraud

• Like 12

That's the "Überflüssigekassettenkonsoledreifachschwindelbeweisohneauftauchennormallerweiserredseligerideegebenderpersonnachfirmenunterstützungsverlustgefühl" icon_mrgreen.gif

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 15

I spell it "Classic Gamer."

Retro, while commonly used, is incorrect. Retro is something modern, with design that invokes the past, like Shovel Knight, Volgarr the Viking or even things like Mega Man 9 and 10.

Classic games are the old games that came out decades ago.

For what it's worth, here's how I distinguish "classic" and "retro", from another thread:

Classic: "Classic" is often misused as a synonym for "old," but we all know that not every old game merits the label. To me, "classic" means influential games and systems, which broke new ground in a historically important way. Usually, "classic" is used in reference to older games like Pac-Man, but I believe that newer games can also be considered classics, provided they've been around long enough that their contributions can be evaluated and appreciated in a proper historical context. The misuse of the word "classic" has come up several times before; I wrote a longer post about it years ago.

Vintage: If anything, I think this is the term that should be a synonym for "old." My dictionary defines vintage as "the time that something was produced" or "denoting something from the past." So, whether you're referring to the game or to the time it was made, "vintage" strikes me as a more neutral term. "Classic" implies something about the quality of a game; "vintage" is merely a way of describing how old it happens to be.

Retro: A "retro game" is a new game that mimics the style of old games. Retro games are like pastiches in the world of art: sometimes they're done in a tongue-in-cheek fashion, sometimes they're more respectful, but they're always a deliberate imitation of historical precursors. I'm tempted to say that a "retro game" can never be truly considered a "classic" for that reason, but I suppose it's debatable.

So, RETRO Magazine lives up to its name in that it's a new magazine that is supposed to mimic the video game magazines of old, and it covers new games that are meant to look like old games.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, here's how I distinguish "classic" and "retro", from another thread:

So, RETRO Magazine lives up to its name in that it's a new magazine that is supposed to mimic the video game magazines of old, and it covers new games that are meant to look like old games.

retroception

• Like 1