IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Also- even with lowering your goal and extending your deadline, your non-crowdfunding patreon is still only a third of the way to goal.

Three months from now, it'll be "gimme tree fiddy" and I'll be like "Dammit M.K.Monster, I ain't givin you no tree fiddy!"

• Like 5

So if he needed nine grand before, and now only needs four to accomplish the same thing, what was the other five supposedly going toward? It's exactly like the Coleco Chameleon when he needed millions to make a console, then when that well dried up, suddenly he could so the same for pocket change. Reeeeallly makes you wonder what plans he had for the differ nce

• Like 3

Off topic, not that it matters anymore.

I think flojo should resume Ulala, Fox McCloud gets on my nerves for a reason I can't quite explain.

I guess I fell for "chu, chu, chu" or whatever the heck she says instead of "shoot".

Up, Down, Left, Right, Chu, Chu Chu!! :grin:

• Like 2

I don't understand this game...

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN! is a Pac-Man wannabe for Odyssey 2 with awkward graphics and controls, and a convoluted back story. Like RETROVGS or COLECO CHAMELEON, it's similar to something that already exists, but awkwardly executed and isn't much fun. Unlike those would-be consoles, this actually shipped to stores and sold a few thousand copies.

It's the kind of thing you would only pick up as a completionist after a full set of Odyssey 2 games.

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!

You're trapped in an electronic labyrinth

of more than one trillion economic mazes!

It's the rat race to end all rat races!

IMPORTANT!

Always be sure that the power to your Odyssey2 console is turned off before inserting a game cartridge. This protects the electronic components and extends the life of the unit.

TO BEGIN:

Insert the cartridge into the slot of the Odyssey2 console with the label side of the cartridge facing the alpha-numeric keyboard.

Turn on the power by pressing the power button of the console. SELECT GAME will appear on your TV screen. If it does not, press the RESET key on the alpha-numeric keyboard.

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!

(Two players)

Press 1 on the alpha-numeric keyboard. You are now trapped in the Land of Keynesium.

You and your opponent are represented by the animated figures which appear at the lower right and the lower left of the maze entrance. The net worth of each figure is directly below it. Each player starts off with $500,000. Two Keynesian robots are in the center of the screen atop the maze entrance. Every maze is a game within a game. You and your opponent are playing against the robots which represent different factors of the economy. But you are also playing against each other. You will be changing strategies throughout the game - sometimes cooperating with the robots to thwart your opponent - sometimes collaborating with your opponent to beat the robots.

Each maze offers you the opportunity to make money or the chance to hang onto what money you have. An electronic signal will appear center screen to tell you which to expect - and how much cash is at stake.

The right hand control unit activates the right hand figure. The left hand control unit controls the left hand figure. Push the joy stick away from you to make your player go up. Pull the joy stick toward you to make your player travel downward. Push right to go right. Push left to go left.

The Keynesian robots are controlled by the computer. The brighter robots represent the lighter side of the economy like income, bull markets and successful investments. These robots are elusive and will try to run from you - but the more quickly you catch them, the more money you'll make.

The darker robots represent the gloomier side of the economy - things like taxes, inflation and bear markets. They will try to catch you wherever you are in the maze. But the longer you stay away from them, the more money you'll keep. It's possible to find a hiding place in the maze where the darker robots can't find you.

There are seven kinds of mazes. INCOME, REWARD and INVESTMENT offer you an opportunity to make money. EXPENSES, THIEF, TAXES and INFLATION will force deductions from your net worth unless you completely elude the robots during these maze sequences. The amount of money at stake in each maze will appear at the lower center of the screen. After a moment, the numbers will start decreasing. The dark robots will speed up and the brighter robots will slow down as the $ at stake decrease. The number on the screen at the instant you make contact with a robot will be automatically computed into your net worth.

You will find that the Keynesian robots are small enough to maneuver freely through the mazes. But you are too tall to travel through some of the narrow passageways without ducking your head. You do this by pressing the action button on your hand control. It is harder to run in this position, so your player will only be going at two-thirds speed. If you do not press the action button when you make contact with a low ceiling in the maze, the computer will do it for you automatically, but you will only be able to run at half speed.

The walls and ceilings of the maze contain a high energy charge. If any part of your player's body comes in contact with any part of the maze, you must break that contact before proceeding with your run.

Department of Dirty Tricks! Once you make contact with a robot, it is good strategy to harass your opponent. If you touch your opponent and a part of the maze at the same time, your opponent will lose control of his player.

Department of Economic Cooperation! If you and your opponent outmaneuver the robots and make them run into each other, they'll automatically return to their starting positions. You'll gain both time and money.

The first player to achieve a net worth of more than one million dollars wins. The Keynesians will salute your triumph with a blast of electronic trumpets - and reward you with two tickets on the next time machine scheduled to make a stop in the Twentieth Century.

Short games. You can play against the clock or with a goal of $750,000 instead of a million.

Longer games. You can play for any dollar figure you choose. TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN has more than a trillion different maze combinations. It is theoretically possible to play night and day continuously for two thousand years without seeing the same maze twice!

To play again, press the RESET key on the console and then press 1 on the alpha-numeric keyboard.

Don't feel bad, neither does anyone else. :lol:

I'm looking forward to Earl covering it on his podcast so that I can FINALLY understand what the hell is going on. :P

Based on Flojo's posting of the instructions and the video, this game is way too deep for me. I should just stick to Dark Souls, Spelunky, or any kind of Civilization game.

Maybe that is why I can't wrap my head around this whole MK saga and other pie in the sky retro console efforts. To deep for me... or it is possible that I can't wrap my head around that level of BS.

• Like 3

Based on Flojo's posting of the instructions and the video, this game is way too deep for me. I should just stick to Dark Souls, Spelunky, or any kind of Civilization game.

Maybe that is why I can't wrap my head around this whole MK saga and other pie in the sky retro console efforts. To deep for me... or it is possible that I can't wrap my head around that level of BS.

LOL!

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN! is like Berzerk for idiots, just as MK'S SIMPLE AS THAT! is just minor league fantasy.

I agree that it's difficult to understand their motivation. Their persistence is something, I guess!

While I didn't read the full instructions for that game...

I'm thinking, Robots and Keynesian Economics...What's not to love? LOL...Sometimes it's just neat to theme a game after something no one understands...

Well I don't mean no one understands...I mean if you were playing that game as a 12 year old (or so), You're probably just playing the game, not talking about economic factors.

It's kind of like a lot of things where if you dig deeper you find hidden meanings, or at least references...I noticed on an anime called Eureka 7 for instance that they seem to love rave culture, naming mechs after drum machines and synthesizers...Or on another anime, the race car drivers were all named after heavy metal singers...Or you might have seen a Final Fantasy 7 character based on Mr. T....OK That one wasn't really hidden...

I'm all for weird combinations....Like naming a Coleco SNES Jaguar a Chameleon.

• Like 3

Longer games. You can play for any dollar figure you choose. TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN has more than a trillion different maze combinations. It is theoretically possible to play night and day continuously for two thousand years without seeing the same maze twice!

I can't imagine anyone playing this game more than once, much less convincing an unsuspecting buddy to pay with them. Two thousand years sounds like video game purgatory to me...

I can't imagine anyone playing this game more than once, much less convincing an unsuspecting buddy to pay with them. Two thousand years sounds like video game purgatory to me...

Well the description says "theoretically"

so in the same vein:

Son asks father the difference between Theory & Reality

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/29yjcp/son_asks_father_the_difference_between_theory/

Well the description says "theoretically"

so in the same vein:

Son asks father the difference between Theory & Reality

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/29yjcp/son_asks_father_the_difference_between_theory/

Theory: This rocket should launch.

Reality: Some unforeseen failure occurred, and the rocket exploded.

Off topic, not that it matters anymore.

I think flojo should resume Ulala, Fox McCloud gets on my nerves for a reason I can't quite explain.

I guess I fell for "chu, chu, chu" or whatever the heck she says instead of "shoot".

it's weird how people notice these things ... there's someone called NE146 who has been using beatem and eatem for years ... the avatars burn into your psyche

• Like 5

I don't have any proof, but judging from the FIRE-READY-AIM! way this thing was announced, I kinda doubt RWB thought this through. Otherwise, why would they consent to this backwards logic? Case first, then marketing team, then announcement, then hardware development???

I wonder how much they spent on that ugly Coleco brochure at Toy Fair 2016?

attachicon.gifColeco_Brochure_Final_1.jpg

Aarrghghgh! They're still using that image at http://colecotoys.com!!

Well, you're talking about the same company that releases products with their own logo split in half at the wrong spot to read "ECO" ... "COL" at the bottom of their packaging. At least I hope it was not broken that way intentionally. And, no, the name doesn't wrap around to and from the back of the package:

51in7wK6KvL._SX425_.jpg$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

• Like 3