• ToXiC

Posted Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:36 PM

It normally uses 5 Volts (on inside)

#77 FarmerPotato OFFLINE  

FarmerPotato

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:01 PM

I have two non-functioning CF7+. About five years ago, I sent one off to Jamie for repair and I think he replaced the FPGA. It seems he has closed up his business now, but I emailed him anyway.
I suspect static shock (I only ever used the correct power supplies, and the first time one fried, I actually saw the spark.)

So where do I go next for solid state storage?

One crazy idea that occured to me today: 

Remove the Xilinx FPGA

Reverse engineer the hardware that's left

Wire up that to one of my Xilinx developer boards and begin re-inventing the system.  Crazy, yeah.  And I don't need another project.

#78 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

• 10,361 posts
  • TI-99/4A Fanatic

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:20 PM

Reverse engineer the hardware that's left

Wire up that to one of my Xilinx developer boards and begin re-inventing the system.  Crazy, yeah.  And I don't need another project.

You may not need another project, but if you do this, you'll probably make some people VERY happy.  I'm also sure whatever you decide, you would not go cheap on a few extra components and eliminate basic voltage protections on the board.  From what I've been able to discern, this was a problem that  plagued numerous units causing many headaches for people.

#79 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,126 posts

Posted Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:19 PM

And if you build it on a Speech Synthesizer-sized board, it will fit into a really nice case too, especially if that case is surplus because the original board has been moved to a PEB. . .recycling at its best.  :)

#80 FarmerPotato OFFLINE  

FarmerPotato

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2016 12:37 PM

And if you build it on a Speech Synthesizer-sized board, it will fit into a really nice case too, especially if that case is surplus because the original board has been moved to a PEB. . .recycling at its best.  :)

My first hardware hacking platform!

Nobody told me the Speech Synthesizer was not a proto board.

#81 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 719 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:03 AM

Ciro,

Yes, I tested with a digital vom and got 5.1 volts at the +5 shown in the image. 
See the attached where I tapped in on another speech synth. I didn't want to take the modified one apart because I'm still testing it.

EXAMPLE.JPG

DSC00459.JPG

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users