IGNORED

Atari 5200 question for those with modding knowledge

KreatorKat

Hi. I have a question related to compatabilty and modification of an Atari 5200. I know it is recommended that you purchase a 2 port system since the 4 port ones run power and rf through a proprietary prone-to-breaking switch box that is hard to replace. However, if I purchase a system I will be getting it s video modded. Does anyone know if the modification bypasses this switchbox (I know there is a power jack mod too), which would negate any issues and actually make the 4 port a superior option? Thanks :)

I can answer this pretty easily.

Regardless of which mod you go with, far as I know, all of them completely disable the RF modulator. Because of this, if you go with the four port unit you still have to leave the RF cable attached and would still require the odd switchbox just for the power. So it is best to do the Power mod as well on the 4 port at the same time.

The 2 port model doesn't the switch box, but you still lose the RF output when you video mod it. Additionally, the 2 port units aren't compatible with Pitfall, Mountain Climber, Krazy Shootout, and one other game that I know of. You can correct this by also having the BIOS chip replaced with a 4 port bios chip.

It is also worth noting that all the AV mods I've seen will also break the use of the VCS adapter regardless of whether you have a VCS adapter compatible 4 port or 2 port 5200 system.

So do keep in mind that while the video mod (Especially the s-video), look fantastic, you will lose the ability to use the VCS adapter for 2600 backward compatibility and in the case of the 4 port, still have to deal with the switch box to provide the power.