IGNORED

How to add RAM to an ST myself?

So after playing with my 1040STe last night it became apparent pretty quickly that the first thing I will be needing is some more ram. Many of the programs on my Ultrasatan require it.

My plan is to eventually send the computer to exxosuk in the UK for "the royal treatment" upgrade service, but for functionality and for use in the meantime, I need RAM now...the 1mb is just not cutting it.

The issue is, I can't solder, so I'm wondering if I can upgrade to 4MB myself, and if its a "plug and play" operation...

Here is some RAM I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-ST-computer-4mb-memory-upgrade-simm-ram-4x-1mb-520-1040-STFM-STE-Mega-NEW-/151932696423?hash=item235fe4f767:g:hKcAAOSw37tWDCrY

Does anyone know if this would work, and if not can you recommend an alternative?

Has anyone ever done a video or a tutorial, step by step of a 4mb RAM upgrade on the ST? I am generally okay with electronics but need my hand held a little bit with stuff like this.

Thanks, and much appreciated!!

That should work, it should be as simple as removing the screws, opening the machine, removing all existing SIMMs, and replace with the new ones. No soldering needed, and you don't even need to remove the shielding.

Ensure that you are grounded and avoid touching any of the components, and you should be fine. Pretty much the same as doing it on a modern PC or laptop.

Your STE will almost certainly have SIMM sockets, which look like this when empty.

post-39360-0-30230300-1453913164_thumb.png

To remove the SIMM, ease the little plastic clips apart, which should unhook and the memory card will rotate a little and come loose. Don't force it. To insert, line up the bottom of the SIMM and then rotate it into position. It's easier to do than describe.

post-39360-0-33929500-1453913214_thumb.jpg

Edited by galax
  • Like 1

That should work, it should be as simple as removing the screws, opening the machine, removing all existing SIMMs, and replace with the new ones. No soldering needed, and you don't even need to remove the shielding.

Ensure that you are grounded and avoid touching any of the components, and you should be fine. Pretty much the same as doing it on a modern PC or laptop.

Your STE will almost certainly have SIMM sockets, which look like this when empty.

attachicon.gifmem-slots1.png

To remove the SIMM, ease the little plastic clips apart, which should unhook and the memory card will rotate a little and come loose. Don't force it. To insert, line up the bottom of the SIMM and then rotate it into position. It's easier to do than describe.

attachicon.gif001.JPG

Awesome, thank you! I will order my 4MB ram kit tonight! The PSU and Processor can wait, but the RAM really needs to happen sooner rather than later...lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mission Successful! The hardest part was taking off the 20 screws to get access. The ram clipped in very easily. Test shows that it was okay. Looks like the computer was last checked over by B&C in 1997! lol. Guess I should look for a 4160STe badge now! :)

post-38373-0-29285700-1455196736_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-62373700-1455196746_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-41756200-1455196754_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-37327600-1455196763_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-75457400-1455196774_thumb.jpg

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

The ST's MMU can only access 4MB of RAM but the 68000's 24-bit address space has room for 16MB (some of which is used by ROM and hardware). The MonSTer board adds 8MB of ALT RAM, which TOS 2.06 and ALT RAM aware software can recognise: http://www.fairlite.co.uk/AtariKit//monster/monster.html

14MB sound like an unmodified Falcon's memory upgrade.

Edited by galax