IGNORED

Android app for inventorying carts?

InfoMan

I've started trying them out. So far:

• Game Collector doesn't have 2600 games (but does have some other Atari stuff) - uninstalled
  • VG Collection Tracker - actually pretty impressed. Has box art, descriptions, places to record things like amount paid. Also looks up prices from several different web sites. All it's missing is AtariAge rarity values. ;) And I guess you have to duplicate a game record the number of times you own it if you want to track each individual copy you might have. Appears to have support for all Atari video game systems (including Jaguar and Lynx), as well as 800 and XE, along with just about everything else under the sun, all the way up to Xbox One.
  • Retrogaming Collection - no Atari at all :(
  • Video Game Tracker - has different apps for 2600, 5200, 7800, and Jaguar (no Lynx). Costs $1 per app, and doesn't look as good as VG Collection Tracker in the screenshots, so I didn't buy any.

So I guess at this point VG Collection Tracker wins.

Note: VG Collection Tracker shows up in Google Play as Game Collection Tracker, but on the device it shows as VG Collection Tracker Gratis, and inside the app it just says VG Collection Tracker. It turns out there is also a Pro version that you can buy. I'm not yet sure what the difference is. The free version has no ads.

Edited by InfoMan

rf generation is the collection database site I use, the android app is pretty helpful but you have to manually sync the app to the site, so if you forget to do that you might accidentally buy dupes.

Their database probably has everything atari and if it doesn't, you can submit it yourself!

I just use a Google Sheets spreadsheet to track my collection. While not as comprehensive as some of the apps out there it allows me to customize to my own tastes. I have one spreadsheet with a tab for each system that I collect for. I can customize each tab as needed. For example, my Intellivision tab has a column for the number of overlays that I own for a game. I can flag the sheet for offline use - which is great for a flea market near me where cell service is spotty. As an added benefit, I can open the document on a PC, iPad ... anything with a browser. Best of all - it's free.

rf generation is the collection database site I use, the android app is pretty helpful but you have to manually sync the app to the site, so if you forget to do that you might accidentally buy dupes.

Their database probably has everything atari and if it doesn't, you can submit it yourself!

Nice, I hadn't seen that one yet. I like the idea of having the info in the cloud, and being able to access it from a web browser as well as an Android app. And letting others see what you have is a potentially interesting feature as well.

But looking at the app, it appears you can't add things through it, and it doesn't have all the nifty lookup features (price trends, etc.) that VG Collection Tracker has that would be nice to use when I'm at a thrift store trying to decide whether to buy something. And it seems like the barcode scanner would be pretty useless for Atari stuff.

Edited by InfoMan

I just use a Google Sheets spreadsheet to track my collection. While not as comprehensive as some of the apps out there it allows me to customize to my own tastes. I have one spreadsheet with a tab for each system that I collect for. I can customize each tab as needed. For example, my Intellivision tab has a column for the number of overlays that I own for a game. I can flag the sheet for offline use - which is great for a flea market near me where cell service is spotty. As an added benefit, I can open the document on a PC, iPad ... anything with a browser. Best of all - it's free.

Another nice cloud-based option. The main drawback would be that you have to enter everything yourself.

I just noticed in VG Collection Tracker that the 2600 version of Ghostbusters has the maroon late release Atari brand border, and not the box art.

Looks like it's actually fairly easy to change the box art. I just figured out that I could replace that one on my phone with a different one from Google Image Search (which the app helps you do).

Another nice cloud-based option. The main drawback would be that you have to enter everything yourself.

Entering everything myself was a major drawback for a while. I stopped updating the list because I fell behind. I ended up re-inventorying my entire collection to ensure that my spreadsheet was up to date. I won't make that mistake again. At least the redo allowed me to ensure that all of my doubles were correct and separate from my main collection. I now have an up to date list of my 800+ games.

I will admit that the various apps do offer benefits such as pictures, rarity, price trends.

• Like 1

I keep everything in an Excel spreadsheet but I've been looking for something to use on my Android devices as well that is not a spreadsheet. I like how VG Collection Tracker looks so I've emailed the developer to see if the app can import from an existing Excel spreadsheet.

I keep everything in an Excel spreadsheet but I've been looking for something to use on my Android devices as well that is not a spreadsheet. I like how VG Collection Tracker looks so I've emailed the developer to see if the app can import from an existing Excel spreadsheet.

Have you heard back from the developer? That app is a few years old, and I'm wondering if the developer is still interested. I bought the version that allows you to put in your own box art with your camera, and it crashed. It also wasn't able to successfully import from the free version. So I got a refund from Google Play and I'm looking at other apps again.

I did find another app tonight, called Game Keeper. Like VG Collection Tracker, it covers everything from Atari to Xbox. It doesn't have some of the search features of VG Collection Tracker, but I like how I can enter several games at once from a list.

One thing I don't see is an ability to manually add games that aren't on the list. Apparently Pole Position on the 7800 didn't actually exist? ;)

Edit: Huh. Pole Position for the 7800 doesn't appear to be in the Atari Age database, either...

Edited by InfoMan

Nevermind about the Pole Position cart. It turned out to be Pole Position 2 in a Pole Position box that someone had made to look like a 7800 box.

Anyway, I've played around with Game Keeper some more. There are a lot of things that I like about it. But it's got a big problem - it gets confused about what game system a game is for. I put in a bunch of 7800 games, and some it says are for other systems when I go back and look at them.

A spreadsheet may actually be the best solution after all - just a lot more work.

Looks like Game Keeper has pretty much been abandoned. People complained about the same bugs I'm seeing a year ago.

However, I also noticed that VG Collection Tracker was updated over the weekend, and the bugs I mentioned above are in the list of fixes. I guess I'll give it another try.

Rfgeneration.Com is what I've used for years. They have a massive database that covers just about everything. Atari is extremely well represented too.

The app is available for Android on the play store. It is linked to the main site, so you have to have an account there.

I've used it for some time to make sure I don't double buy stuff.

They break down inventory by cart, box. Manual so you know how complete things are. It also has pictures for some stuff, though not everything because the database is built on user submissions.

I think you do need a net connection to use some of the features. It is free though.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Lendorien

I use RF Generation also. I wish some more Atari collectors would use it and start submitting stuff. Sometimes I think I am the only Atari collector trying to fill in gaps in the database.

It has been extremely helpful to pull up my collection when I find stuff in the wild so I know what to buy.

• Like 1

I use RF Generation also. I wish some more Atari collectors would use it and start submitting stuff. Sometimes I think I am the only Atari collector trying to fill in gaps in the database.

It has been extremely helpful to pull up my collection when I find stuff in the wild so I know what to buy.

I would jump in and help out with expanding the Atari Selection, but Atari has never quite been my focus and everything I have is already on there.

• 2 years later...

#Bumping an older thread due to some relevance#

Found this thread after researching apps. Decided on the RFGeneration route. As jeremiah mentioned, quite a bit of missing info. For the PAL collectors, I've just started to enter my 170+ PAL 2600 carts into my RFG 'Collection'. I'm also updating any missing info/variations, where applicable, and cart scans into the database.

I use an Open Office database to keep track of my collection. I created a form for adding new games that has dropdown menus for selecting platform and publisher and checkboxes for boxes, manuals, overlays, etc. Makes it pretty easy to add new games and sort them by pretty much whatever I would need to.