IGNORED

WOW! James "Purple" Hampton autograph is for sale

Rick Dangerous

Stumbled upon this recently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141897310127

Looks to be a game contract, for "Hammerhead" (never heard of it). A few questions:

-Who is James Purple Hampton, what else did he do on the Jaguar (and has he done anything since), and why do we care?

-Is this really that rare, cool or valuable?

I could see, as a jaguar super-fan, paying like $40 bucks for this to have it framed for a game room, but even then..

Curious to see if anyone knows anything about it, or thoughts on this kind of memorabilia in general :)

And yes the topic title is meant to be facetious.

So mr. smith dropped the "360" from his eBay username, but wasn't bold enough to change it to vgamerxboxone. Still some stigma attached to dat bone I guess.

Not really got any input on the item, that kind of stuff used to sell for silly money when there were people willing to fight each other for chocolate CDs and other "collectible" junk, which was great as those Hummers ain't gonna just grow new mudflaps.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 1

Hammerhead = Skyhammer. As you likely know, Skyhammer was developed for Atari by Rebellion Software of AVP fame and Checkered Flag infamy. :)

James Hampton was a producer at Atari who worked with Rebellion on AVP and Skyhammer. He also apparently worked on Highlander and some Lynx titles. You can find more info on his work here: http://www.jameshampton.net/index.html

As far as collecting old memos, I guess there is a market for that stuff among extreme fans. The price of entry seems outrageous to me though.

I would scratch my head if I got an official company letter with a smiley as signature :roll:

Especially given the tone of the letter itself.

Nothing says "utter cock" more succinctly than a douchily inserted nickname or an overly flamboyant signature.

• Like 2

I like reading this things and I wish there would be an archive of all the paperwork that came out of Atari over the years since I really enjoyed those we got to see so far. But to pay that kind of money...

It's nice that we can read the content though. ;-)

Edited by PeterG
  • Like 3

Believe it or not I worked with him during my brief gametesting stint at LucasFilm Games. However, he was working on another game so his credits don't appear in the game I also worked on (which was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (The Action Game)). If my fuzzy memory serves me right he got his "purple" nickname from those who interviewed him because of his purple socks and his purple car.

Edited by RARusk
  • Like 2

So... it had nothing to do with the purple gorilla that was spotted in Hampton Wick :(

Nah, the Purple Gorilla was only when Nolan Bushnell was still the boss at Atari. There are a lot of other things that could explain his "purple" nickname of which a lot seems related to German helmets and "a-holes" :roll:

• Like 1

There is an old interview with Purple Hampton on this site here (that also explains his nickname, in his own words :P).

Sounds like he was largely responsible for the transition of AVP to the FPS genre.

The contents of the memo are interesting but I imagine actually collecting originals of internal memos is a bit of a niche thing.

Edited by Willard

• 2 months later...

Actually Purple is an old friend of mine. I met him just after his Atari days when he was working on games at Macromedia. We became fast friends when I found out he produced AVP for the Jag. He has some amazing stories about his days at Atari.

I just sent him a note to let him know about this listing. I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it haha!