IGNORED

British STE question

Wally1

It sounds like you have a US keyboard and a British version of TOS in ROM? If so you could fix these problems by switching to a US version of TOS.

Try pressing \ which is just below Delete. You probably won't be able to type \ or | at all, as that key is under your longer left shift key.

US ST Keyboard Layout UK ST Keyboard Layout

post-39360-0-92171100-1455645921_thumb.jpg post-39360-0-23763800-1455645926_thumb.jpg

Edited by galax
  • Like 2

I have a British 520 STE.

when i press shift-3 i get a British pound sign.

is there a way to get the American "#" sign from the keyboard?

Thanks a lot

Instead of replacing TOS, as some have suggested, you could also use a small utility called keyedit, to remap the keys as you would like to have them. I find it very useful myself. When you're finished with remapping the keys, you save the changes as a small PRG file, that you put in the auto folder, either on a floppy disk or a hard drive and it loads in the changes every time you boot up the machine.

keyedit.zip

Edited by Amimitl2

Well I will find this out myself in reverse, bought an STE from the UK and it's on its way, ordered a US power supply but must have missed the difference in keyboards. Will use with a dell 2001fp and BEST vga cable.

Then you'll only get monochrome high res.

No, the Dell 2001FP natively supports all ST resolutions with the right cable: http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Flat_Panel_Displays

Ah neat. I didn't know that. But then the Best site looks like it was made in the 90s with the Geocities site builder and hurts the eyes, so CBA'd to read any of it. You expect it to have marquees, animated gifs and horrible midi music.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...