IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

• 1 month later...

I am a bit confused about this upgrade. Does the extsel pin need to be installed for 600XL/800XL, because whenever I buy this upgrade I do not want to solder. (I simply cant solder....)

original spec says "no soldering if MB is socketed".

Has anyone tried Star Raiders with this?

I'm curious if the explosion slowdown is better?

The source code is out for it and maybe someone could redo it for this board!

Check out the FastDiv3 version of Star Raiders:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243904-star-raiders-source-code-to-be-released/?p=3357462

Explosions slowdown fixed. :-)

• Like 1

original spec says "no soldering if MB is socketed".

This was the big selling point for me, but found that it kept popping out of the original socket in my target 600XL, so I had to replace the socket for it to be secure. So, YMMV...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If your motherboard is fully socketed, you just pull two chips and plug the board and a ribbon cable into those sockets.  If not socketed, you would have to desolder the 2 chips and install sockets. Some 800XL are fully socked and some aren't.  You'll have to look at your MB to be sure.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RollyD5000 said:

How do you install this, in the positive, not the negative.

I have read that you don't solder.

OK, but what do you do. Atari 800XL.

Nir has a good video for this.

But, yeah, you first need to make sure if your XL board is fully socketed or not. 

Thanks all, but I have a fully socketed Atari 800XL made in Hong Kong, and I'm at home now, trying it out, and, to be frank, no surprise at all, that it very clearly does not fit.

the MMU is a little the left of where you might expect and there is no way this CPU board is going into the socket since it there are chips in front, also socketed, that raise up to high to allow this to fit.

p.s. I've discovered how people bend the ribbon to move the cpu board a little over to the left. 

But it's not the least bit clear how they would actually raise this up high enough to be above the socketed chips in front of it, and yet still close the keyboard later, even without the metal cage - it doesn't fit.

At a guess, they are soldering those chips in without sockets to lower them.  And that means this is a soldering install...I hope I'm wrong, but what else?

1 hour ago, RollyD5000 said:

there is no way this CPU board is going into the socket since it there are chips in front, also socketed, that raise up to high to allow this to fit.

Didn't your ANTONIA ship with an empty socket?  Plug the empty socket into your now open CPU socket and then piggyback your ANTONIA on top of that.  It should now be high enough to clear the other chips in front of it.  It will be a tight squeeze with the keyboard when you go to put the case back together but it should just fit.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:49 PM, SS said:

Didn't your ANTONIA ship with an empty socket?  Plug the empty socket into your now open CPU socket and then piggyback your ANTONIA on top of that.  It should now be high enough to clear the other chips in front of it.  It will be a tight squeeze with the keyboard when you go to put the case back together but it should just fit.

I have a thin ic socket that raises it up and absolutely prevents the case from closing

and to be clear, it isn’t remotely possible that there is a socket of any height that would both clear the chip in front and allow the case to close.  It is not close, it is in the realm of clearly not happening.  Also I have two Atari 800xl, full socketed.  Both have the same issue.   Pity.  At least i have two attempts at this but most likely scenario is I destroy them both :)  I will attempt to desolder the socket that holds the tall chip in front and lower the chip to the board

Edited by RollyD5000