IGNORED

Where in this world (or the next) is Morgan San Diego

gfvh

It's the age of pirates, Morgan San Diego has dissapeared but one pirate knows which country he was heading to.

You must follow the clues the pirates give you. For example if someone mentions the Holy Grail you know he went to Iskenderun (according to Indiana Jones)

You must complete the game with the lowest quantity of movements possible, each movement is counted by entering a new screen.

You start where the arrow points, in the bottom right corner of the world map

Mundo2.png

Each screen is a "square" in the map, so there are two types of screen: land, or water.

While in the water I wanted to change the player sprite to a ship but I could not do it, so he swims. :)

Source code: http://gfvh.webs.com/atari2600/kqsandiego10.txt

EDIT: In Stella, you need to disable Color Loss by pressing CTRL + L or you will see a flickering alternating a black screen with the normal screen

EDIT2: I finally made it stable (I suppose) with the use of the timer T1024T. The file is mk6.bin.

EDIT3: I need to give credit to Monkey Island since I used a pirate image from that game.

k10.bin

k12.bin

mk6.bin

Edited by gfvh
  • Like 1

Sorry for my poor programming. :) In Stella try pressing CTRL + L, it disables Color Loss and stops the flickering, (if it is that flickering)

But in Z26 I could make it work from the beginning.

This is a screenshot of the game in Z26 for Windows

jg.png

The game screen is at the center the other things are garbage I couldn't rid off due to my poor programming again :)

Edited by gfvh

Ok, first, download the latest version of Stella and stick with it. The best emulator by far. Javatari is a new emulator, a good one, but for play, not for develop a game.

Second, you can use TIM64T for skip the scanlines during VBlank. It's needed as you can free the processor for calculate the game code while the timer take care of scanline timing.

Make sure the game run at stable scanlines, on Stella, press "tab" key to enter in debug, and see the scanline count at top.

Don't woirry about poor programming, you need start somewhere. Good luck.

Edited by LS_Dracon

Ah...that is what I'm seeing. Part of the problem is that you are trying to call data from a bank that the program is not currently running from. For example, the data table Cero exists in the first bank. The lower portion of the screen is being drawn by the second bank. So the code

Retorno3
LDA #0
STA CTRLPF
LDA Cero
STA PF0
STA PF1
STA PF2
ends up drawing all those bars at the bottom. The data at the address specified by "Cero" is not zero in this second bank. The 2600 can only "see" a single 4k bank at a time. I recommend having the assembler create a list when you do a build, then you can use it to cross-reference problems like this when stepping though Stella's debugger.

Thanks for the tips. I think I will try with batari Basic now on. I was foolish to try the assembly first as there are things I don't understand quite well yet. I never used javatari for development. I used it to test if it can "even" work on it, as it happens to me that many games don't work on it. And I'm not saying it's a bad emulator, just a demanding one :), like Z26.

Edited by gfvh