IGNORED

Now with the NX on the horizon, what are your plans for your 3DS?

Unbeliever

I'm still not following you here. Sony and Microsoft offer plenty of ways to access their back catalogs and do just as many rehashes (HD remasters, sequels, etc.) of old titles as Nintendo.

As if Nintendo's Virtual console wasn't doing that already. MS and Sony weren't even doing the whole back catalog thing until Nintendo started banking on retro with their VC service. And neither company has any IPs going back prior to 5th generation, well, except possibly with MS's acquisition of RARE. Nobody still in the business (or not) has as far reaching a back catalog of 1st party games compared to Nintendo.

While it won't disappear from retail tomorrow, its future will be one of niche releases, budget shovelware titles, and reprints. I don't see much effort being expended to give it some great role with the NX. Heck, it barely had any tie-in with the Wii U even during its glory years when it was still growing and selling well and could've perhaps helped sell a few thousand more Wii U systems to 3DS fans had something unique been done.

Smash Bros can use 3DS as controller, so it's definitely possible to interface the systems. Some more asymmetric gameplay apps like Pacman VS from Game Cube would have been cool.

While it won't disappear from retail tomorrow, its future will be one of niche releases, budget shovelware titles, and reprints.

You forget that Pokémon Sun and Moon are on the way. Cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching! $$$

Nobody still in the business (or not) has as far reaching a back catalog of 1st party games compared to Nintendo.

Sega, perhaps? ;)

As far as MS and Sony, I think they're more well-known for 2nd party titles, like Halo and Crash Bandicoot. Nintendo, I think, has always had a huge edge in that department.

I don't know anything about that game, but imagine that it's slated for 2016. I was talking more so about 2017 after the NX launches.

Smash Bros can use 3DS as controller, so it's definitely possible to interface the systems.

I know and believe that when that's your leading bit of connectivity, that it's barely there and shows just what Nintendo thinks about the idea.

The point was to cite the past and why it makes it even more skeptical that the 3DS will have some significant role to play by interacting with the NX.

Edited by Atariboy

I know and believe that when that's your leading bit of connectivity, that it's barely there and shows just what Nintendo thinks about the idea.

The point was to cite the past and why it makes it even more skeptical that the 3DS will have some significant role to play by interacting with the NX.

It was also possible, for a time, to download demos of popular DS software through the "Nintendo Channel" using the DS download function on the DS itself. And the aforementioned GBA-NGC link cable was used in Pacman Vs (not to mention Game Boy player). Also there was the transfer pack used to sync Pokemon saves between GB/GBC Pokemon carts and Pokemon Stadium on the N64.

So there Nintendo have about four generations worth of rich legacy interfacing portables and handhelds together, citing one example each. Crap, make that five: Super Game Boy on SNES! Maybe NX will continue the legacy by syncing data between the Miitomo app on your mobile device and the console itself, or just use your mobile device as spare tablet controller for multiplayer, in case you don't have a spare NX gamepad for on the go gaming... :P

• 2 months later...

It's been pretty much confirmed the NX will not use a disc drive but will have some sort of media slot, proprietary or not. There will be no backwards compatability with Wii-U because PowerPC architecture is long dead. The NX will most likely be ARM powered if it is indeed a console/portable hybrid. ARM could possibly allow b/c with the 2DS. If they go the DS route, I envision adding an extra tab to the NX cards so they cannot be inserted into a DS or 3DS. I am thinking it may be a slimer, lighter Gamepad-like tablet device with the CPU brains inside it, and a docking station for charging and external TV hookups.

Pro controllers or additional NX devices could be used for local multiplayer. When docked, NX will output to TV and run full power CPU with HD 1080p visuals. On the go it have 480p SD visuals and reduced CPU. They may have multiple SKUs, for instance a tablet sized version for home use that comes bundled with a TV docking station, and a phone sized version for ultimate portability. A unified NNID account system would allow a gamer or household to own multiple devices on a single account and sync game content and save data between devices.

3DS is still strong. NX will replace Wii-U. No backwards compatibility with Wii-U software because PowerPC architecture is dead. Beefy, powerful next gen ARM processor comparable to the latest Apple tech. No disc drive as a cost cutting measure. Card slot for distribution of physical NX content and potential backwards compatibility with 2DS. I like to think it will be a hybrid, slimmer gamepad tablet with button controls and internal CPU. Dock it into a base station that plugs into an HDTV and the CPU/GPU runs turbo mode with HD 1080p graphics while docked, compatibility with existing Pro controllers or additional NX units for local multiplayer. Undock it for on the go gaming with reduced CPU/GPU and SD graphics. Two SKUs available in tablet and mobile form factors. Unified Nintendo account allows you to sync your save data between units for owners/households with more than one console. Allow up to five user profiles across three devices per Nintendo account. NX device lost, stolen, or sold off? Not a problem. Deactivate it by logging into your Nintendo account from another device or web browser. It won't have the massive computational clout of PS4/Xbone (it won't pull 300 watts at the wall plate either), but it won't need it because games are fun thanks to the beefy ARM CPU/GPU and an indie friendly SDK. Let's see how much I get right come e3 reveal... :D

Leaked details from an anonymous developer! :evil:

http://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-nx-mega-leak-specs-controller-handheld-better-performance-than-ps4-and-more

Well, I got some of their stuff right, like the NX being ARM based and the controller having it's own CPU. As we are in preliminary mode, there's still a good chance the tablet controller could become a handheld console in it's own right, since it has a dedicated CPU. I'm kind of surprised they kept the disc drive, but good for them to pander to the industry! :grin:

NX tablet controller doubles as a handheld system when removed from the parent console. It's like two systems in one. Effing brilliant!

Don't be so sure. I'm sure class UHS-I or higher rated flash media or dedicated ROM could get better read performance compared to a typical BluRay drive. Another benefit to using cards is that extended life write protected flash storage could for instance be used to store the main game, and updates or DLC to the main content could potentially be applied directly to a reserved data area of unused flash.

This way your game save will travel with the game and can easily be transported to a friend's house or replacement/spare console if yours breaks. An account system will still be highly desirable, but storing save data and updates directly on card will permit secondhand sales of games years after the servers go offline, and perhaps a sustainable retro resale market for NX game cards with all the benefits of updates or DLC without the need for continued online connection.

Sure I may be dreaming, but it would be great to have the benefit of patches and updates for offline play twenty years from now when buying retro NX carts at a secondhand shop. If only one of the big three companies is going to future-proof their systems for future retro collectors, it will be Nintendo.

Beleive it or not, Nintendo cares about their legacy, as evidenced by continued support of Virtual Console as well as new games with throwbacks to retro themes or artwork.

Can't imagine how I guess so much stuff right the first time... :grin:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/talking_point_considering_the_angles_of_a_portable_and_dynamic_nintendo_nx

Since I just got a 3ds, I suppose my plans are to gather up a bunch of the games I've been considering for the last year or two while they're still available. Can't say I'll be down with the NX though. And I'm curious how well it'll end up doing without backwards compatibility. Nintendo's pretty much relied heavily on this over the last few consoles to tide people over until they got off their asses and started releasing quality games for the new machine. They better be planning on stepping up game production if they're going to axe off the entire library of the previous console(s). And no, just having a lot of old 8bit and 16bit games released digitally in their shop isn't going to cut it. People are going to expect new games designed for the NX, and if the well runs dry quickly you can expect every game site on the web to harp on it.

I'll just sit back and watch while I play my 3DS and DS games on my 3DS. ;)

Nintendo is apparently using a new operating system of its own, not Android as rumoured.

Oh gosh, I can't imagine how quickly the NX would get hacked WIDE open if Nintendo had gone with Android >_<

That's just too ridiculous to even consider.