IGNORED

A pocket-size Windows laptop

Flojomojo

A lot of simulations I play have near microscopic text. So I'm not sure this is the thing for me. Maybe ok for some DosBox stuff in lower resolution. Or emulators for VCS and other early games.

I seriously like a big screen. And right in my face too. Since LCD's don't emit brain damaging radiation like CRTs do I can sit right up front. Mere centimeters from a 50" screen. And when playing with things flying left and right, so does my head. Back and forth and back and forth like a crazed lunatic - think pong overclocked on high speed.

Spider Fighter and Kaboom are just insane and my neck hurts the next day. Though playing like this gets the animals riled up. It's rather cute.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I seriously like a big screen.

Plug it to HDMI and you have a "TV game" that you can disconnect and bring around to walk the dog and force your friends to play at parties, Nintendo Switch hipster style.

More seriously, I saw there are wireless HDMI dongles for phones, maybe one exists that could go into this. No idea how well they work but for strategy games you probably don't care too much about fps?

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

I've made my peace with running PC games on cheap laptops that have screens that I can easily see, and input surfaces that fit my fingers.

I still wish someone would reimagine X-Wing and Tie Fighter for modern graphics and controls, maybe even for mobile.

Until then, PC games on PC are less frustrating for me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Nice comprehensive review, confirms my suspicions but has a lot of good pictures. I would love one of these for $200, but no more.

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/14380-gpd-win-review/

That's a very good review... its quite close to my own.experience with the device. I need to try that optimization at the end! Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The GPN WIN is infinitely more appealing to me though, because of those embedded gamer controls. As a straight PC, I think the Pocket would be a loser -- the little keyboard is too small for touch typing, making it less useful than a more versatile touchscreen on a tablet or mobile. It will likely get funded though, as people seem to like miniaturization.

• 8 months later...

Yeeah. I just jotted down my personal experience with the first model here:

https://steemit.com/gpd/@slobu/gpd-win-personal-experience

But, basically.. I have no confidence the first models issues were resolved in the new unit. Yes, it's different hardware. No, they don't consider feedback from users experience.

So, things like weird cellphone power button delay, abnormal shutdown if USB draws too much power and forgetting it's plugged in are all possible "features".

• Like 1

Newsdee, did you put full price for yours? I am keeping an eye on eBay but they don't come up very often.

Kind of. I got the KS version, it was cheaper than first announced but in the end the retail unit had a similar price to the KS.

This new version is a bit too expensive for me so I'll wait reviews.

Edited by Newsdee

I think they will do this again with the Win2. $900 would be ridicules.

Right but $650 is still pretty steep when the original model 1 was $350. I get that it has much better specs and I really want the concept to take off... but at that price it competes with e.g. spending a bit more to get a Surface tablet or a bigger laptop.

In my case I invested last month into an i7 Surface and it's pretty good for gaming, as powerful as my aging desktop except for GPU. It is better for touch UIs than this device, but for arcade games I have the GPD Win 1 for now.

In terms of weight I find the GPD Win to be almost right (365g) slightly heavier than a New 3DS XL (329g). To compare I found the NVidia Shield Portable too heavy (580g). The GPD Win 2 is expected to weight 460g... it might be a bit too heavy for me so I'd like to try it in person first if I can.

My Surface weighs about one full Kg with keyboard cover, but being bigger the ergonomics are better than a device held like a joypad.

Edited by Newsdee

• 1 month later...