IGNORED

DPC Smooth Collision Help

Lewis2907

Batari Team,

I have attached RT example for smooth collision. I am now trying to learn how to adjust the attached .bas to make it work smooth for:

DF0FRACINC = 24

DF1FRACINC = 24
DF2FRACINC = 24
DF3FRACINC = 24

DF0FRACINC = 32
DF1FRACINC = 32
DF2FRACINC = 32
DF3FRACINC = 32

DF0FRACINC = 48
DF1FRACINC = 48
DF2FRACINC = 48
DF3FRACINC = 48

My goal here is to have a template(s) that I can use. I like DPC over the other kernels as it offers the most color schemes and seems to look better than the others. I put some remarks in the program of what I think it does. I did adjust it to see what happens, but I failed to get even close to what the original program does.

Maybe if there is a rem in there to sort of explain the how to adjust the numbers. I might be able to create a template for other settings.

The above is basically the setting I was thinking about because of the graphics bank limitation. I did read some threads that the height and width of the sprite play a big difference in the calculations. I think that the PacMan sprite is an okay sprite setting to keep it simple when making a 8*7 or something close to that size.

Thanks in advance for any help someone can provide.

Collision Prevention DPC - Template.txt

RT,

Can't remember where I found the code. But I attached the original program that I found and was trying to learn from. From what I have learned thus far I went from the bouncy to semi smooth collision, but the fixed math collision looks the best. More work to learn it but the pay off is worth it. Thanks for the help. Learning a lot from you and others that I read and their code(s).

collision_prevention_partial_cd_dpc_2013y_11m_08d_0335t.bas

RT,

Can't remember where I found the code. But I attached the original program that I found and was trying to learn from. From what I have learned thus far I went from the bouncy to semi smooth collision, but the fixed math collision looks the best. More work to learn it but the pay off is worth it. Thanks for the help. Learning a lot from you and others that I read and their code(s).

Thanks. Found it:

atariage.com/forums/topic/218407-dpc-pfread/?p=2862530

Similar to what I said before, that's crusty old code. The new version should be better once I get it done. But it looks like you want to use a Pac-Man-like maze and that requires a slightly different type of code. I'm converting one of the maze programs on the bB page to work with DPC+. I have the sprites converted and some of the numbers working, but there are more numbers that need to be changed. It might take another day or two to get it working correctly. I'll post it here when I'm done.

Okay thanks. I was making pac man eat and run from the table top days. One of the games I wanted to see on Atari as a kid. I'm close to done with what I'm able to do. Will post it soon. Was able to incorporate your pause into the game. I have been testing it out. I plan to go back and fix my first game attempt. I think I'm almost ready to work on something that I wanted to also see on Atati.

After some hair-pulling moments, I finally got one of the maze programs on the bB page to work with the DPC+ kernel.

post-13-0-81080700-1457687418.jpg

See if this is helpful:

ex_maze_dpc_2016y_03m_11d_0416t.bin

ex_maze_dpc_2016y_03m_11d_0416t.bas

I just added it to the bB page:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#maze_dpc

RT,

Thanks. I plan to incorporate this into what I have done so far. No where near as clean as yours. But I will attempt it and see what I come up with. Should take a few days. I have attached what I have done so far. Making this for me and my friends as we remember Pac Man Eat and Run. Lot of work to be done to make it better. What works so far is:

1. Select to pause and un-pause

2. BW/Color for map

3. Fire button to change Pac Man colors

4. 25 rooms with safe houses.

5. Red Ghost blocks the exits

6. Need to improve the collision detection and some other stuff

7. Plan to make each room increase in speed with the Ghosts

I'm still learning, but I have came a long ways from Oct 2015 thanks to all the stuff you have out there. I think the Pause or Map thing I am playing with could be used in a Battle Screen similar to Final Fantasy. Hopefully soon I will be able to create something more unique.

Pac_Man_Eat_and_Run - 05 Mar 16 (DPC+).txt