I already use Notepad++ under Windows and gedit under Linux, which are the ones I'm most comfortable with at the moment.
I don't know if anybody's set up syntax highlighting rules for those, but they'll work
I made the change on my copy (not pushed to GitHub yet) but I didn't notice anything different visually.
I suggested the change to prevent the issue from cropping up in the future. As you add more code to your program, the location of PosObject will change - depending upon where, you could end up with the branch crossing a page. It's hard to track things like that down, so it's a good practice to put routines with critical timing at the start of the ROM.
The weirdness I'm still getting is the colors are different than what I had before even though the values should be the same, and when the paddle reaches around the last quarter of the screen horizontally, the screen goes monochrome and shifts down one scanline.
I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong in the code, but I haven't looked much into it yet. This is just a hobby project anyway
Your scanline count used to be 270, which Stella detected as NTSC. In the new version it's 290, which Stella detected as PAL. The Atari outputs different colors
for each video system: NTSC, PAL, and SECAM.
In Stella you can use the Developer Key
COMMAND-L (on Mac) or ALT-L (Linux or Windows) to display the scanline count, video format, and cartridge type:
prior version detected as NTSC
current version detected as PAL
When the paddle gets to the far right the scanline count increases to 291. Color information is lost on PAL displays if the scanline count is odd.
In checking the code I see you're calling PosObject in the middle
of your kernel. The scanline count increased by 1 because PosObject takes longer (more CPU time) to position objects on the right side of the screen. You should move the call to PosObject to the end of Vertical Blank where an extra scanline won't cause problems (that's why we use timers to check for the end of Vertical Blank and Overscan). I've changed it here:
It's possible to reposition objects during the kernel; though, that is a more advanced technique, in part because you need to make sure the scanline count stays consistent.
You'll need to decide if you're targeting NTSC or PAL and use the appropriate number of scanlines. For NTSC you want to output 262, for PAL 312. While Stella will work with counts different than those, real TVs often have problems.