IGNORED

Just got a Jag, Powers On, No Video or Audio

MyJagAintWorkin

So I just picked up a Jaguar and I'm having issues. It powers on but I get no video or audio. Tried 3 TV's, 2 RF adapters (standard and NES one). Cleaned the carts (only have 2 games). Played with the switch in the back (channel 3 and 4 stuff) and I'm stumped. Any ideas? I was thinking of just getting AV cables for it but I want to know if it's a bigger issue. Thanks!

LOL. Yeah the LED lights up. I have a friend telling me that the RF adapters suck on the Jag and require a really good strength. Also contacted the guy I got it from (a friend who owns a shop) and he said he can't figure out why because his employee was playing it a week ago. So I'm stumped. I wouldn't mind buying some 3rd party AV cables at all since obviously it'd be a better picture quality, but I want to make sure that will fix the issue and it's not something bigger.

Just wanted to say it looks like I am having the same trouble as you. I am pretty sure my TV is detecting some kind of video signal though but nothing is showing (and there is no sound).

I was wondering if it could be the cartridge slot having issues as the Jaguar won't show anything if it doesn't think there is a cartridge (or CD unit) inserted?

Any ideas appreciated :)

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I had an LCD TV a few months ago before I replaced it with a Sony Trinitron. On that LCD TV, sometimes my games would not work because for some reason the TV couldn't sync with certain games .For me that happened with my 7800. If you have only ttried your Jaguar with LCD TV, maybe something similar is happening?

LOL. Yeah the LED lights up. I have a friend telling me that the RF adapters suck on the Jag and require a really good strength. Also contacted the guy I got it from (a friend who owns a shop) and he said he can't figure out why because his employee was playing it a week ago. So I'm stumped. I wouldn't mind buying some 3rd party AV cables at all since obviously it'd be a better picture quality, but I want to make sure that will fix the issue and it's not something bigger.

If it is not too far away have you tried taking it back to the person you got it from and trying it on their setup, if it is working as they stated then they should be able to correctly connect it up and demonstrate that in which case the problem is definitely with the TV/Monitor you are hooking it up to.

If they cannot get it to work on their setup then either a major problem has developed between then and when you hooked it up or it was not working well as originally described.

@ MyJagAintWorkin & F4LL3N

How bright is the LED?, it should be fairly bright, if it is on but dim then there may be enough voltage to light the LED but not for the operation of the BIOS and processors.

If you have access to a multi-meter/DVM I would check the input and output voltages from the U39 (MC34163) and REG1 (MC78L05ACM) (see schematic at http://www.mdgames.de/jag_eng.htm) as even with cartridge/cartridge slot problems resulting in cartridge read issues a working Jag should at least produce the Red screen of Death and associate roar.

If you have a Jaguar AV lead even if the Jag has a faulty video output stage/RF unit or is connected to a display device the cannot handle the Jags video output you should still get audio through the displays L/R audio input channels if the Jaguar is running correctly - that may at least indicate if the problem is system wide or just with the video.

Edited by Stephen Moss
  • Like 1

If it is not too far away have you tried taking it back to the person you got it from and trying it on their setup, if it is working as they stated then they should be able to correctly connect it up and demonstrate that in which case the problem is definitely with the TV/Monitor you are hooking it up to.

If they cannot get it to work on their setup then either a major problem has developed between then and when you hooked it up or it was not working well as originally described.

@ MyJagAintWorkin & F4LL3N

How bright is the LED?, it should be fairly bright, if it is on but dim then there may be enough voltage to light the LED but not for the operation of the BIOS and processors.

If you have access to a multi-meter/DVM I would check the input and output voltages from the U39 (MC34163) and REG1 (MC78L05ACM) (see schematic at http://www.mdgames.de/jag_eng.htm) as even with cartridge/cartridge slot problems resulting in cartridge read issues a working Jag should at least produce the Red screen of Death and associate roar.

If you have a Jaguar AV lead even if the Jag has a faulty video output stage/RF unit or is connected to a display device the cannot handle the Jags video output you should still get audio through the displays L/R audio input channels if the Jaguar is running correctly - that may at least indicate if the problem is system wide or just with the video.

Fair points thank you - there is no audio, and the green light is as bright as it is meant to be (its not dim, or faltering in any way)

About 3/4 of the way down is a section entitled "Best Jaguar Console Tech Tip." Maybe something there can help.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm

Thanks for the reference :)

So I got my AV cables in. Still not working. I'm not a tech savvy guy as far as replacing and soldering, so I guess I'll just get a refund on the console. Sucks, cuz now I have 4 games and AV cables for it. lol

The upside is you've got a head start when you acquire a working Jag.

The most common issue known to me is that someone blasted two 7805 voltage regulators (labelled REG1 and U38) and one capacitor (C134) on the PCB by trying to power it with reversed polarity. I know a guy who regularly revives "dead" Jaguars by replacing these.

His powers on, the regulators aren't blown.

GREAT NEWS! So I had doubts about the power supply that came with the system as it was a multi-use one. The Jag light did look a little faint. Went to my local retro store and they had a Genny 1 AC adapter they let me try (didn't have one for sale though) and it powered right up and I was playing Raiden! So the seller is going to get me a Genny 1 official power supply and I will join the Jaguar Master Race!

• Like 7

GREAT NEWS! So I had doubts about the power supply that came with the system as it was a multi-use one. The Jag light did look a little faint. Went to my local retro store and they had a Genny 1 AC adapter they let me try (didn't have one for sale though) and it powered right up and I was playing Raiden! So the seller is going to get me a Genny 1 official power supply and I will join the Jaguar Master Race!

Great news indeed except now you will need to change your user name!

• Like 2