IGNORED

Atari 2400? Have a video output question...

COREi64

Hello. Been looking around the forum for a while and since my general question is hardware related, thought I may as well put it here.

I bought my original Atari 2600 (six switch) back around 1979, and ended up having it for a few years before I moved on to a VIC-20. Having had fond memories of the old gaming platform, I thought I'd get myself one again. Ended up finding an Atari 2400. Huh? I never recalled seeing one of those. I bought it anyways more out of curiosity than anything else. Figured if it was a mis-labelling and I got a 2600, then I'd have what I wanted. It ended up being cheap ($40.00 for that and a couple of boxes of other retro computer stuff and games). Turns out what appears to be an Atari 2600 Vader edition pictured on the cover of the box is actually an Atari 2600. Came with the joysticks, power supply and some games. Even went so far as to order the Harmony Encore in preparation for some fun future gaming action. The machine has been sitting around untested for some time now, and this past weekend I found some time to plug it in and try it.

Before I got to that point, I completely spaced on the fact that this thing only puts out RF. Geez. I don't own a TV that accepts that anymore. So, there goes my testing attempt.

Here comes my hardware question.

I've been looking around, and there appears to be MANY different hardware solutions to give you composite all the way up to RGB, depending on the device/method you choose.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest the "best" available option which produces the best results. I'm of course not opposed to opening up the unit and doing some soldering if that's what's needed to get the best quality signal and color being displayed on a modern LED TV. The goal for me is to buy a solution that works the best ... ONCE... rather than trying a bunch of different solutions and not being happy with any of them.

So, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated if you have an available solution that you're pleased with. Would love to hear about it.

Thanks for reading my ramblings...

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

2600RGB from Tim Worthington. See: http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/

I have one but have not yet installed it. He also makes the NESRGB. I installed that in a NES and using an upscaler it provides a perfect picture. No reason why the 2600RGB should not also do that. Same design theory.

Thank-you very much for your comment. Looks like a great device. I've been looking around a lot, and there certainly are a wide range of options. This one seems like the most "engineered" solution I've seen. If you've had success with their NESRGB device, I agree that you should likely have the same success.

I definitely do need something better than the RF output. Managed to get a TV to hook it up to, and by today's standards the RF output is sad.

I'll post when I get one!

Thomas