IGNORED

No Man's Sky

TPA5

I have not been this excited for a new-release game since Skyrim back in 2011. For those who may not know yet:

Honestly if this game lives up to even half the hype, it's going to be the game I've dreamed of playing ever since I was a little kid wanting to go to space. The idea of exploring an infinite galaxy with infinite possibilities seems pretty awesome, and while the cynical part of me says it won't live up to the hype, the hopeful kid part of me is just so damn eager to play this game in June. Looks beautiful and best of all the system specs seem quite reasonable.

I'm hoping it ends up playing as good as it looks, because I am quite excited to get lost in the universe for awhile.

• Like 2

I almost never pre-order but I did for this game. If it meets what I think is fun and worth my time (like Skyrim etc) then I'll be happy. Looks like something I'll be playing for a long time though cause it damn sounds good.

I picked this up on PS4 because with Amazon Prime the Limited Edition is only 63.99 and I want that Alpha Vector Ship.

• Like 1

I almost never pre-order but I did for this game. If it meets what I think is fun and worth my time (like Skyrim etc) then I'll be happy. Looks like something I'll be playing for a long time though cause it damn sounds good.

I picked this up on PS4 because with Amazon Prime the Limited Edition is only 63.99 and I want that Alpha Vector Ship.

I have never pre-ordered a videogame before, but I am sorely tempted to do it for the Alpha Vector Ship.

This is the main reason I bought a PS4. It looks very very pretty, and seamless spaceship flying from ground to vacuum has always been really compelling to me.

There's a good chance it will feel same-y and empty because the universe is procedurally generated, but I'm really into the idea all the same.

Until it launches, I'm messing around with Rogue Star, which is like a streamlined Elite in my pocket.

• Like 2

Been keeping an eye on this. Not to be a negative nancy but I am pretty sure it will be like every game so far this generation....over promised, under developed, glitched, broken, and nowhere near the final product it has portrayed. Hopefully I am wrong but that's pretty much how this gen has gone so far.

• Like 1

This is the main reason I bought a PS4. It looks very very pretty, and seamless spaceship flying from ground to vacuum has always been really compelling to me.

There's a good chance it will feel same-y and empty because the universe is procedurally generated, but I'm really into the idea all the same.

Until it launches, I'm messing around with Rogue Star, which is like a streamlined Elite in my pocket.

I really liked the ground-to-atmosphere-to space back when they did that in the leaked Battlefront 3 footage from the cancelled sequel. Shame they cancelled the game as we could have experienced something similar back in the 360 generation.

I really liked the ground-to-atmosphere-to space back when they did that in the leaked Battlefront 3 footage from the cancelled sequel. Shame they cancelled the game as we could have experienced something similar back in the 360 generation.

Battlefront: Elite Squadron on PSP (and Vita, and PSTV) does that, but not nearly as nicely as a big modern console or PC could.

This looks fantastic, but, I'm still wondering WHERE is Elite: Dangerous for PS4. My estimate is next month if they took the toxic Microsoft Money and a 1 year exclusive on it for consoles.

Truth be told, I'm surprised it would even run on a PS4. Not my thinkpad (wouldn't even bother trying to play it on that, haha), but on my last pc before that, the computer had decent specs, but even it struggled sometimes. Nothing major, but major frame drops in asteroid fields, and the system certainly heated up when under stress. It ran fine in general, but on a console, I'd imagine some hickups. Now that they'll be adding (or did they already do it?) planetary flight and docking, that's just going to make it even harder for the ps4 to keep up.

ANYwho, without a good HOTAS, it doesn't matter much anyway. Elite, and flight sims like it, below on pc.

It's been out on XBO for about a year now... seems to run fine on that. I'd even be happy if the game ran at 720p HAHAHAHAH.

Truth be told, I'm surprised it would even run on a PS4. Not my thinkpad (wouldn't even bother trying to play it on that, haha), but on my last pc before that, the computer had decent specs, but even it struggled sometimes. Nothing major, but major frame drops in asteroid fields, and the system certainly heated up when under stress. It ran fine in general, but on a console, I'd imagine some hickups. Now that they'll be adding (or did they already do it?) planetary flight and docking, that's just going to make it even harder for the ps4 to keep up.

ANYwho, without a good HOTAS, it doesn't matter much anyway. Elite, and flight sims like it, below on pc.

• Like 1

The main guy is an overachiever and perfectionist. He's like the guy in the computer labs who always had A+ projects and the extra credits on the tests and you never saw him working on them, he was done and busy doing his own thing, lol.

From the work i've seen, I'm going to wait A. Until it's out and B. if it's kind of odd at first, see what he does with it.

I'm not going to lie, it could end up at tech demo, but, i'm highly intrigued.

Been keeping an eye on this. Not to be a negative nancy but I am pretty sure it will be like every game so far this generation....over promised, under developed, glitched, broken, and nowhere near the final product it has portrayed. Hopefully I am wrong but that's pretty much how this gen has gone so far.

• Like 1

It's been out on XBO for about a year now... seems to run fine on that. I'd even be happy if the game ran at 720p HAHAHAHAH.

Wow, really? That's impressive! Especially considering the XB1's specs. I wonder what the settings were set to. I'd imagine they were pretty low.

Haha, 720... be careful what you wish for ;). We're all in the "next gen" and we're still not at 1080p on everything yet, sigh.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Games/Elite-Dangerous-Game-Preview/5d1a6afe-0a59-4121-b23d-aefa0915c90c

well, I guess only since October. But, that's sadder for me if they did do the whole year then. That will be after my birthday this year.

I just officially don't care then.

Yeah, SONY did their best going with 8GB of GDDR5. Ya gotta admit, they couldn't have done much better than that! Those Jaguar cores are always fed, if they are being used properly might be another question. Insomniac and Naughty Dog and NO DOUBT Sucker Punch have that machine dialed in (Sucker Punch officially became their equal when I played Infamous Second Son... goood lord that game... STILL maybe the best looking game out there technically. ).

I imagine a successor system will still have to be 8 core minimum and likely will be 8 better cores with no deprecated features and 40 or so VPU units, then POSSIBLY also vertically stacked memory.
Microsoft is looking to just Dump XBOX it looks like. They are muddying things so bad, ugh. Glad i'm not investing in their side of the business with my games anyway.

Wow, really? That's impressive! Especially considering the XB1's specs. I wonder what the settings were set to. I'd imagine they were pretty low.

Haha, 720... be careful what you wish for ;). We're all in the "next gen" and we're still not at 1080p on everything yet, sigh.

I remember during the 360 days, I'd hear people all the time say Xbox would never go away... that especially with Microsoft behind them, they'll be around forever.

Man, if I had a nickel every time I heard that. What people don't get is that while Microsoft has all the money in the world, they're still not going to invest in something that A. Is losing them money or B. Hurting their brand image.

My dad always told me back in the really early 90s that consoles would be replaced by PCs. Maybe Microsoft is just ahead of the curve.

• 3 weeks later...

No Man's Sky sounds and looks absolutely fantastic, but I get the feeling that a lot of people have impossible expectations for what that game's going to be. Granted, during the last preview events, the developers showed a bunch of features and it sounds like there's going to be combat, survival mechanics and other things other than the procedurally generated environments. I guess only time will tell, but I remain cautiously optimistic about it.

All I need is a nice groove to ride. Good graphics (a given), smooth controls, and lots to do. There's a lot of MMO-like repetition in Destiny, but (some) people seem to like it because they enjoy the Halo-style combat and don't mind doing the same thing over and over again. I'm like that with space shooters and exploration and I feel that finally, this is a game for me (UNlike Destiny).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I finally got to play my copy on PS4 last night.
I took the Atlas guide so that I could be hand held just a bit on what exactly to do in the beginning, i.e. fix my spaceship, get fuel, etc.

Exploring was fun, although I kinda got a bit frustrated by not having a lot of inventory slots in my suit, and ship for that matter.

Naming the two planets I visited was fun! First planet I started on was scorching hot during daytime hours, so I named it "Hades". Second planet had toxic rain, so I named it "Acidio Rainio".

I was too busy trying to get fuel for my ship to feed the local wildlife in order to friend them and name them, I will have to do that soon.

I was also too busy harvesting to notice that I pissed off a sentinel, LOL! So he and his friend he called in ate mining laser death!

Met the "Gek" and have been traveling to many knowledge stones and obelisks to learn their language. PRO TIP: If you are given a situation at an obelisk and do the wrong thing, you take a little damage and your favorability goes down a little.

Flew into space, visited two space stations, even met a couple of Gek inside the landing bay to see how much they wanted for their ships. A lot of credits, apparently... :-(

I didn't want to stop playing for sleep! So much to see and do!

After playing it for a few days on PS4 (I have the Limted Edition version) with my middle daughter, I've more or less come to the conclusion that it's non-intuitive, frustrating, slow-paced, repetitive, and absolutely extraordinary. It's a complete contradiction of a game that's a technical marvel and somehow keeps you coming back for more despite its relative inscrutability. If you don't like games with lots of trial and error gameplay and minimal hand-holding, then this game is not for you. With that said, I'd love to see this type of technology power other, less involved games. It's been a long-time coming for a mainstream procedurally generated universe like this.

I also would assume it's a given then PlayStationVR support will either be patched in or provided as a paid add-on. This game screams for VR and seems purpose-built for it.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 4

It's crazy to see this game blowing up all over the web with controversy and then on AtariAge it just has two posts with impressions, lol.

I'm glad I waited. I usually preorder when I'm following a game like this so closely but for some reason I decided to wait for reviews this time, I think there were just too many unknowns. It worked out great because this looks like a fun game but it's not what I had expected and it probably wouldn't appeal to me. I like the whole exploration aspect and just wandering around a strange area is something I really enjoy in any game. But I'm not a fan of resource management and survival games, which this seems to have a lot of. I like to have defined objectives to complete and in-game rewards for completing them.

I'm sure there's fun to be had here though, but I'm not confident enough to buy it right now. I'd need the game to go way down in price. Maybe I'll just rent it and get it out of my system.

I'm absolutely loving it. Really draws you in so you feel like you're part of your very ownw sci fi novel. It does have grinding, but only the same kind as Minecraft which doesn't seem to bother people.

I've so far gone to one other system, came back, visited about 6 planets, found two crashed ships, wandered around heaps, got killed by a wild animal, got attacked by sentinel ships when I tried to do a runner from a dodgy deed, have more slots in my suit now than my ship, am on my fourth multi-tool and I've got so much more to do still.

I haven't played it, but I've been watching streams all day.

It seems to have a "destiny" problem, in that there doesn't seem to be much to do. Procedural planets mean that most are similar, or at the very least predictable. If you think you'll come across a planet like Besbin or Coruscant from Star Wars, you'll be disappointed.

Basically, planet with certain color and weather, big rocks and plants to mine over and over, knowledge towers to find, spore like animals with very limited animations, no ability to build, mini stations with an alien or two inside that all ask for similar favors (again procedural), rinse and repeat.

It seems like it would get old. Other things of note, you can't crash. You safely automatically go over any rocks or canyons while in your ship, and all control when coming in from space has been robbed from you. If you were expecting wing commander / rogue squadron controls, skimming the planet surface, temper your expectations. Planets are "realistically" bland, which makes sense, but also makes things a bit boring. A crash site or some other "event" can be found, but outside of said wildlife and space port, the planet is completely barren and repetitive.

Basically, that's the best way I can describe what I've seen so far. Temper your expectations.

It seems to be a lot more mining and survival oriented than they alluded to originally. Graphics also seem rougher than when the game was debuted "running on ps4". I don't appreciate bait and switch, so hopefully this will be improved with time. Much like other things I've mentioned, more development time would have been nice. I think they were pressured to release as quick as possible from Sony. That's unfortunate as its obvious things weren't done as of the time the discs were stamped.

This doesn't mean I'm not interested. I like the art style, and I'm a sucker for space flight games in general. But I sense the same issues as destiny and elite dangerous. One day you'll realize you've been doing a handful of things over and over and over again, with little main goal, and then you question why you keep doing it.

Personally, I think I'll wait for a 30 dollar price point. Again, I want to play it. But a 60 dollar game, from what I've seen after hours and hours of streamed gameplay, it is not.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 2