IGNORED

HD setup for Altirra

Shift838

I have been trying to get a hard disk image setup for Altirra with some success.

I have watched a few videos and i create the vhd file via alirra and set it to a size such as 1gb

I have to select SIDE2 as the hard disk type in Altirra for FDISK to see it. I then put in the information to max the size out on one partition.

But.. when i format the disks it only formats with a bit over 65000 sectors when it should have alot more.

What am I doing wrong. .(please remember I am pretty much Atari illiterate)

I have been trying to get a hard disk image setup for Altirra with some success.

I have watched a few videos and i create the vhd file via alirra and set it to a size such as 1gb

I have to select SIDE2 as the hard disk type in Altirra for FDISK to see it. I then put in the information to max the size out on one partition.

But.. when i format the disks it only formats with a bit over 65000 sectors when it should have alot more.

What am I doing wrong. .(please remember I am pretty much Atari illiterate)

Remember, the Atari is still only an 8-bit system. Even with various addressing tricks and schemes, hard drives partitions on the Atari can only be so big. Try partitioning your hard drive image file into several drives to use up the virtual space.

Remember, the Atari is still only an 8-bit system. Even with various addressing tricks and schemes, hard drives partitions on the Atari can only be so big. Try partitioning your hard drive image file into several drives to use up the virtual space.

I was thinking there was a limitation but what is that limitation size. when I calculate the 512byte sectors size times the Sectors that it sees (65516) i get a total of a bit over 33.5 megabytes.

Does that sound about right for max size per partition?

I was thinking there was a limitation but what is that limitation size. when I calculate the 512byte sectors size times the Sectors that it sees (65516) i get a total of a bit over 33.5 megabytes.

Does that sound about right for max size per partition?

Yes, I think that's correct. In my actual SIDE2 cart, I actually ended up with something like 8 drive partitions of that size to fill up the half of the card I had set aside to use as Atari-addressable drives. The other half of the card I formatted as a FAT partition and use it for booting XEX files (and ATR disk images when used with my U1MB) using the SIDEloader program on the SIDE2 cart or U1MB.