Compatible SD / CF media for Ultimate cart, Incognito & SIDE

sd card cf card toshiba sandisk incognito ultimate side

31 replies to this topic

#26 mytek OFFLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• 3,387 posts

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2019 8:22 PM

I have both a Kingston and a Transcend card in my collection. So I was running some tests on each today while also testing a new beta version of the U1MB BIOS and discovered something interesting with the Kingston card. First of all, partitioning and subsequent formatting is not reliable. Secondly ATRs hang when launched from the Loader, although they do show up fine either individually or in folders, they just don't want to run. Surprisingly XEXs work just fine whether in the root directory, or when nested within folders. So maybe I'll make this a gaming card.

The Transcend card so far looks good no matter how I use it, although it can be stubborn to refresh after hot plugging it. A good test would be to stream some video from it and see if it chokes on that.

All of my tests are being run on a 1088XLD.

#27 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,767 posts

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:04 PM

I found it sometimes helps to reformat the card to the same fat system as my 'reliable' sd cards...sometimes the default system of a particular brand or size card doesn't act well with whatever device. the speed of the card comes into play as well...

#28 dimfil ONLINE  

dimfil

Star Raider

• 59 posts

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:08 PM

I found it sometimes helps to reformat the card to the same fat system as my 'reliable' sd cards...sometimes the default system of a particular brand or size card doesn't act well with whatever device. the speed of the card comes into play as well...

The Transcend x133 cards are completely unreliable for Side2 use even with this method. I tried everything: formatting again, delete and recreate partition, even clean from diskpart.
So, best to avoid if are to be used on Side2...

Edited by dimfil, Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:09 PM.

#29 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,974 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:26 PM

Necrobump.

Will this Sandisk Ultra 16 gb CompactFlash card work with the SIDE2 ?

link to the card: -> https://www.amazon.c...P/dp/B00GHBBK82

I received one of these today and it appears that the 16GB version does NOT work in the SIDE2 cartridge. Interestingly, the 8GB version of the same card that I bought a year ago works fine in the same SIDE2 cart. 

#30 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,854 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:58 PM

I received one of these today and it appears that the 16GB version does NOT work in the SIDE2 cartridge. Interestingly, the 8GB version of the same card that I bought a year ago works fine in the same SIDE2 cart. 

Curious.. When you say it doesn't work, does it not register at all, like when SIDE driver in SDX normally displays the name of the card on boot? Or is it just flakey.

#31 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,974 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:12 PM

Curious.. When you say it doesn't work, does it not register at all, like when SIDE driver in SDX normally displays the name of the card on boot? Or is it just flakey.

As far as SDX is concerned, it's as if there isn't even a card inserted at all - trying to access an APT partition gives an error 138. The Ultimate 1MB SIDE Loader initially says "No partitions" - when you arrow over to the media entry in the menu, the are after "SIDE:" is blank. The 8GB version of the same label card works perfectly in SIDE2 cart, my 1088XEL (with an earlier-design version of Michael's CF-2 interface), and my new 1088XLD (with the CF-3 version of his interface). 

Edited by DrVenkman, Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:12 PM.

#32 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,854 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:07 PM

Thanks. Probably newer CF cards no longer supporting the oldest PATA modes... (as opposed to later DMA33, UDMA66, etc...)

Could try reproducing this with a passive CF IDE adapter on a PC, by disabling DMA on the controller channel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sd card, cf card, toshiba, sandisk, incognito, ultimate, side

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users