IGNORED

HSC13 Round 6: Desmond's Dungeon & Nadral

Would any of the NTSC players object to playing a PAL only game - is there anyone strictly NTSC hardware.

I also like the experience of playing real hardware on a smaller CRT just as it was intended :)

Now I've had another go on Nadral, and I'm quite liking the game; just shows you eh?! Got to level 3 from the start 43,570. The levels are nice and small at the start anyway so it's fun.

post-19705-0-52995100-1459787575_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-96578100-1459787576_thumb.jpg

If anyone (not top 3 players) wants to use the restart on the last level reached that is ok - you will get a point per level completed so there's an incentive to move up in the rankings :thumbsup:

112490 vault 14

That's some going McKong :thumbsup: I'll have another bash at the weekend. I've been playing Nadral, it's quite relaxing. Reached level 5 Epsilon 66,650 but I'm retiring here, would be nice if there was a hack to start on any level from cold :ponder:

Just listened to the latest Anitc and PlayerMissile pod casts :thumbsup:

I played "Nadral" for awhile. I wish that I understood this game better. I mean, I get it (I did reach the second level, after all), but I don't know what's going on. Also, it would be great if I could shoot up and down. Only being able to shoot left or right makes the game harder than you might expect it to be when you first look at it.

Nadral - 20,840 (Reached Level 2) (PAL, Emulation)

I have an urge to map the level(s) to help me get further If "Nadral" was the main game, then I think that I would map the levels, but since the game is only worth a point, it's not worth the time it would take to complete a map.

It would be really cool if someone translated this game into English. Also, this game seems deep enough to be a main game in a future season (keep that in mind, TRBB).

Adam

• Like 1

I'm not sure how I feel about "Desmond's Dungeon." It's not that I don't like it. I can't fault the the controls (which are quite good). The game's premise is interesting too (if a bit odd). The music and sound effects fit the game nicely (even if they're a bit too cheery for their own good). I like the two different levels (the Dungeon and the Vault): it's nice that you don't just repeat the same level again and again.

"Desmond's Dungeon" is repetitive, but can I really pick on that? Many (most?) classic games are repetitious. One thing that I don't like, which makes the game seem more repetitive than it might be otherwise, is that you can only carry one bag of gold at a time. Certainly, that's understandable-- gold is heavy: who wants to lug three or four bags of gold around the dungeon? I do! It would save time, and the risk vs. reward factor could add to the fun. For instance, depositing one bag of gold is worth 200 points, but if you could carry more than one bag, and then deposit them all at once, it should be worth more than 200 points per bag. Depositing additional bags of gold should be worth more points: 1 bag = 200, 2 bags = 500, 3 bags = 1000, etc. This seems like such an obvious addition to "Desmond's Dungeon" that I feel forced to penalize the game for not including this was to earn bonus points in it.

I also am not fond of the way Desmond jumps. For example, leaping over the spiders works okay, but jumping over the fire seems harder than it has to be. As a side note, the way Desmond jumps reminds me, for some reason, of jumping in "Pitfall!" for the Atari 2600. It doesn't look the same, but it feels the same to me. The game's difficulty does ramp up nicely (by the third dungeon you really have to weave around the level in order to carry the gold past the fire). That's a neat touch.

Is it possible to abuse the score in this game? I think a player could play a very long game if they were patient. The programmer makes it at least seem possible to never die if you're willing to take the extra time needed to recover Desmond's strength after he is stunned. Am I off-base on this observation?

The different fragments of "Desmond's Dungeon's" are all rather spiffy on their own, but somehow they don't manage to add up to a good game: the whole is less than the sum of its parts. Still, I played a few good rounds of the game, and I've got one regular score to submit, plus a score for the first guy.

Desmond's Dungeon - 6,560 (PAL, Emulation) - First Guy

post-4925-0-20367500-1460141045_thumb.gif

Desmond's Dungeon - 8,450 (PAL, Emulation) - Reached Dungeon 3

post-4925-0-58372700-1460141044_thumb.gif

I've got a few more days to play this game. Maybe I'll find that I grow to like it more as I continue to play it. Does anyone else have similar feelings about this game?

Adam

I played "Nadral" for awhile. I wish that I understood this game better. I mean, I get it (I did reach the second level, after all), but I don't know what's going on. Also, it would be great if I could shoot up and down. Only being able to shoot left or right makes the game harder than you might expect it to be when you first look at it.

Nadral - 20,840 (Reached Level 2) (PAL, Emulation)

I have an urge to map the level(s) to help me get further If "Nadral" was the main game, then I think that I would map the levels, but since the game is only worth a point, it's not worth the time it would take to complete a map.

It would be really cool if someone translated this game into English. Also, this game seems deep enough to be a main game in a future season (keep that in mind, TRBB).

Adam

I found some love for this game - turns you really need only the simplest of maps - I got away with just drawing a single line with a few crosses to show routes, just do the levels. NADRAL'S WORTH 1pt PER LEVEL COMPLETED FOR PLAYERS OUTSIDE THE TOP 3 SO FILL YOUR BOOTS!

I'm not sure how I feel about "Desmond's Dungeon." It's not that I don't like it....

I've got a few more days to play this game. Maybe I'll find that I grow to like it more as I continue to play it. Does anyone else have similar feelings about this game?

Adam

No you have it all wrong! DD's a great game!! You can drop bags of gold mid journey so that if you are hit they are not put all the way back. The 2nd screens heavily rely on skill the further you get - very satisfying to nail one from the bottom row. You have to be disciplined to complete the levels, the pay off for recovering energy is losing bonus and I suspect you can then be out, plus I usually get hit again anyway!

No you have it all wrong! DD's a great game!! You can drop bags of gold mid journey so that if you are hit they are not put all the way back.

"Desmond's Dungeon" is growing on me. I managed to creep along to the fourth level, so I must be doing something right (or I'm just stubborn). I spent quite a bit of time getting my new high score. I can see that this game could easily be a time sync.

Desmond's Dungeon's: 13,250 (PAL, Emulation) - Reached Level 4

post-4925-0-70636000-1460151180_thumb.gif

McKong, how long did it take you to get 109,950 points? That seems like it must have been a long game!

Adam

• Like 1

I created a map of the first level of "Nadral:"

post-4925-0-55130300-1460170958_thumb.gif

That's an easy level to finish-- no map is needed. I created it as a proof of concept for level 2's map. I just about finished creating the map of level 2, but I lost my last life with a few rooms to explore that didn't yet have screenshots. I decided I'd finish mapping the second level using save states, but not submit the score (of course). It turns out I can't use save states with "Nadril," as when the game restarts, the graphics are corrupt and the game isn't playable. Can anyone help me figure-out how to use save states in "Nadral" so I can map some of the levels?

Adam

• Like 1

I decided to see how fast I could complete level 1 of "Nadral." I avoided shooting most enemies (to save from expending energy) and I didn't collecting most energy (unless it was available without shooting an enemy). I got the key and then went to Room 11 (with the lock). Except, the key didn't open the lock didn't this time.

I've completed level 1 quite a few times, but I've always shot and collected everything along the way before I tried opening the lock. Before I can open the lock to exit the level (and collect my trapped buddy/girlfriend), I suppose I must have to earn some amount of points, destroy a certain number of monsters, collect certain (all?) items and maybe even shoot the lights out in every room. Does anyone know exactly what will allow me to open the end-level door besides the key? Is it based on points, baddies that I've dealt with... or what?

It's kinda fun trying to figure-out "Nadral" without a manual. It reminds me of when I'd pick up disks when I first started collecting the Atari back in the 90s, when manuals weren't yet easily available online. You know, this was back when you'd try to play a game and you really had no idea what to do in it-- so you would either keep on working at figuring it out, or you'd move onto something else.

Adam

I decided to see how fast I could complete level 1 of "Nadral." I avoided shooting most enemies (to save from expending energy) and I didn't collecting most energy (unless it was available without shooting an enemy). I got the key and then went to Room 11 (with the lock). Except, the key didn't open the lock didn't this time.

Interesting - I thought it was just the keys for Nadral but that is interesting - did you try giggling it in the lock or some WD40? :-D

From completing the first 4 levels I'd say the maps double in size but are not overwhelming. I'm hoping the baddies will become more lively as the levels progress.

McKong, how long did it take you to get 109,950 points? That seems like it must have been a long game!

I'll take this one: Not as long as it took him to do this:

134250 vault 15

:-o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :-D

Reminder this round and the POLL close Sunday 10pm UK time

I thought it was just the keys for Nadral but that is interesting - did you try giggling it in the lock or some WD40? :-D

Ah-ha! I hadn't thought of using the WD-40 that I'd picked up in a previous room. I first sprayed that on the key, inserted it into the lock. and it opened! Okay, maybe not. Really though, I was as surprised as you were that something more than the key is needed to open the lock. I'm going to mess around with getting different things today or tomorrow and see if I can't narrow it down to what is needed exactly.

I managed to make it to "Nadral's" level three last night. That level is called Gamma. I made it straight through, without needing to continue from the last level. Are we even keeping track of points in "Nadral," or does only the level reached count?

From completing the first 4 levels I'd say the maps double in size but are not overwhelming. I'm hoping the baddies will become more lively as the levels progress.

I'm pretty surprised that the baddies don't shoot at you. If they do start shooting, then they had better play fair: there ought to be no up and down firing for them either. What I want to know is, if the baddies do end up getting nastier, what exactly is the toilet going to be throwing at me?!?

Mapping "Nadral" reminds me of playing "The Legend of Zelda" on the NES, I wish that I could explain why-- as the game isn't the same at all!

Adam

• Like 1

Holy Smoke you guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Any more features / what happens as the levels progress past 15?

orph I take it the first score you posted was meant to be 100K+ or was it for Nadral?

Can EVERYONE VOTE please ;)

Reminder this round closes *tonight* Sunday 10pm UK time

Edited by therealbountybob

Sheepishly posting a score of 5390, almost got to vault 3.

Well played to those posting incredible high scores, your skill and patience is to be admired :thumbsup:

Nadral - Level 2 - 22545. Good game, never seen that one before.

post-4833-0-19195400-1460301425_thumb.jpg

post-4833-0-72920800-1460306376_thumb.jpg

Edited by jdh
  • Like 1