IGNORED

7800 controller repair/micro switch

Micheloni2600

Im newer here to the 7800 I picked up one with 2 controllers and one of the controllers wouldn't respond from both fire buttons. I bought another controller for cheap and it had the exact same issue. I saw a micro switch mod to replace the dome caps. I already took the original controllers apart to clean them and such but cant understand why the buttons dont respond. They both still click somewhat well. Any ideas? Would the micro switches fix this issue? Hoping to get a response back soon!

Can't say if that's your issue or not but usually the issue I had with all the Atari "DB9" female connectors (the one at the cord) is that the contact inside get loose over time and do not make a good contact with the socket at the console. I usually end up having to buy new cords and splice them (or rewire from the controller).

It may not be your issue but that's what I end up doing most of the time.

The port looks just fine...my other controller works just fine out of the 3. Its these two that wont even respond to the fire buttons and sometimes directions on the stick. Im just wondering if the domes are cracked and if they are if they can easily be replaced with those microswitches?

I didn't mean the port at the console, I mean the connector at the end of the cord.

Putting microswitch in place will require some work, mostly "carpentry" and it will take quite some time and extensive modification of the mechanics as it's pretty tight in there.

For the domes they do crack and you can buy replacements here:

http://console5.com/store/parts/joystick-parts.html

(I can't remember which of the 2 kinds you need but it should not be too hard to figure out)

Im newer here to the 7800 I picked up one with 2 controllers and one of the controllers wouldn't respond from both fire buttons. I bought another controller for cheap and it had the exact same issue. I saw a micro switch mod to replace the dome caps. I already took the original controllers apart to clean them and such but cant understand why the buttons dont respond. They both still click somewhat well. Any ideas? Would the micro switches fix this issue? Hoping to get a response back soon!

Its weird that one of the original controllers AND the 3rd controller have the same problem, though if its the primary fire button its definitely possible that both are worn out from lots of use. Did you try the fully functional controller in that connector port on the console? That is, if the left connector port gives a right fire button problem in all three controllers, the problem might actually be the connector port inside the console. So the first thing would be to try the "good" controller in that port so you can rule out a plug problem or a dead pin on the console side.

Assuming the problem is actually with the two controllers, one test you can do would be to use a a bit of wire to bridge the gap before and after the dome. This will bypass the dome switch, so if your onscreen character starts to fire when you complete the circuit with your test wire, you will know that your cable and plug are ok, and thus the problem is with the dome switch. On the other hand, if you bypass the switch and still get nothing, you probably have a problem "upstream" - broken wire in the cable or a loose connection at the plug.

Replacing the domes with parts from Best Electronics would be much easier than installing microswitches. The micros are super easy to wire, but mounting them correctly so the fire button activates the little button in the microswitch would be a big chore. If you are into the gamepad experience, definitely much easier to get the Genesis adapter from Grips03 or pay a little more for the one I sell. I also offer a full lineup of customizable arcade joysticks for the 7800 (edladdin.com), and UberArcade makes an 8-way arcade stick that looks like a miniature 7800 console.

Good luck and welcome to the 7800!

Its weird that one of the original controllers AND the 3rd controller have the same problem, though if its the primary fire button its definitely possible that both are worn out from lots of use. Did you try the fully functional controller in that connector port on the console? That is, if the left connector port gives a right fire button problem in all three controllers, the problem might actually be the connector port inside the console. So the first thing would be to try the "good" controller in that port so you can rule out a plug problem or a dead pin on the console side.

Assuming the problem is actually with the two controllers, one test you can do would be to use a a bit of wire to bridge the gap before and after the dome. This will bypass the dome switch, so if your onscreen character starts to fire when you complete the circuit with your test wire, you will know that your cable and plug are ok, and thus the problem is with the dome switch. On the other hand, if you bypass the switch and still get nothing, you probably have a problem "upstream" - broken wire in the cable or a loose connection at the plug.

Replacing the domes with parts from Best Electronics would be much easier than installing microswitches. The micros are super easy to wire, but mounting them correctly so the fire button activates the little button in the microswitch would be a big chore. If you are into the gamepad experience, definitely much easier to get the Genesis adapter from Grips03 or pay a little more for the one I sell. I also offer a full lineup of customizable arcade joysticks for the 7800 (edladdin.com), and UberArcade makes an 8-way arcade stick that looks like a miniature 7800 console.

Its defiantly the same issue with the fire buttons on both of the 2 controllers, tried both ports with the good working controller, Im just into the old school stuff so much, I want the original feel and experience, the controller doesnt bother me at all right now I dont understand all the complaining with it, but yeah I would like to try micro switches, I might go to radio shack, pick up some microswitches to just get rid of the dome issue, anyone know how to mod these in? Have an idea of how to mod onto the board???

I want the original feel and experience, the controller doesnt bother me at all right now I dont understand all the complaining with it,

We'll talk again after some hectic session of Joust or Robotron .... even DK it's gonna take a toll on your hand, actually even Xevious in separate fire mode is painful.

The euro-pads are better than the proline sticks but not optimal, as pads they are pretty poor but "they beat the sticks" any day of the week and twice on weekends.

I experimented with reducing the stick length (cutting it) and replacing the top with a rubber ball, it gets better (less stress on your holding hand when you move) but the fire buttons are just killing it.

I'm not a math genius but going from $18 to $120-180 is not a "little" in my book. Never had someone say hey i'll sell this to you for a little over $18 and expect another $100+ lol.

Edited by cjameslv
  • Like 1

Still though I mean even if I could do a little bit of modification to modding the stick even, I'm just looking for the best option on trying to get these controllers in the best shape of use without cutting them out completely with an adapter or a controller made for a different console. If the domes were replaced would that be a better option than trying microswitches instead, Im just trying to see the best option by still keeping the original hardware. If that makes sense, by the way I actually love these controllers. Call me crazy if you must . :grin: :rolling:

Edited by Micheloni2600

I wouldn't want an adapter, I dont know for some reason I feel like it is better to just play on original hardware and these two controllers just need a little tender loving care. :P

Don't worry, you'll come around and realize what many people already know.

Even Atari launched in Europe with the pads so I'd say they knew.

For now suit yourself, the proline stick is a nightmare of ergonomics in so many ways it's not even funny.

But get them fixed and play a little with them on the "demanding" games (that is twitchy arcades) and you'll realize that the actual physical pain you'll submit your hands to is not warranted and likely was more the result of a bad design decision or lack of proper extensive testing rather than "feeling the old style".

• Like 1

We'll talk again after some hectic session of Joust or Robotron .... even DK it's gonna take a toll on your hand, actually even Xevious in separate fire mode is painful.

The euro-pads are better than the proline sticks but not optimal, as pads they are pretty poor but "they beat the sticks" any day of the week and twice on weekends.

I experimented with reducing the stick length (cutting it) and replacing the top with a rubber ball, it gets better (less stress on your holding hand when you move) but the fire buttons are just killing it.

gotta disagree. The Europads are awful. Never had a problem with the prosticks. Can't play the single screen classic arcade type games with an inaccurate floppy thumb pad. Gotta have a stick.
  • Like 1

I really do enjoy this controller and everyone says the 5200 controllers are terrible but once you clean em up and really try em out they are okay. 7800 controller is pretty nice. Thanks for the intake of the gold domes man!

You will love what Brad has done to the 7800 with the gold contact domed controllers. They have real snap and feel fantastic just like what he did with the CX-40 gold contact boards. Fantastic.

• Like 1

gotta disagree. The Europads are awful. Never had a problem with the prosticks. Can't play the single screen classic arcade type games with an inaccurate floppy thumb pad. Gotta have a stick.

I agree. I love the look of the Europads, they don't feel too bad, but a stick just gives more control. I judge my sticks on their ability to play PacMan type games. I need a stick/controller that will rapidly reverse directions, give positive feedback. The new Best Electronics 7800s with Gold contract boards fits the bill for now.