Rev

OPCODE GAMES

click for official website

has officially confirmed the:
IntelliXpander
System Enhancement Module

The OPCODE official reservation

click here>>>>>> http://eepurl.com/cXO4dv

Scheduled for release in 2017/2018. Estimates price range: $150.00 (price not final)

Also confirmed are two new games: Castlevania and Goonies and more! (estimated price: $50.00 each)

post-19433-0-44717100-1465748756_thumb.png

1st look at Goonies!

https://youtu.be/Udvi0hSGMiE

post-19433-0-98260200-1504575038.jpg

Opcode Games Intellivision announcement FAQ

Q: Why has Opcode Games decided to enter the Intellivision scene?
A: Since we rebooted Opcode last year, it was already part of our plans to expand. For us the Intellivision was a natural fit, since we love the platform and see a lot of similarities with the ColecoVision. So why not spread the love?
Q: Is Opcode Games dropping support on the ColecoVision?
A: Absolutely not. For the time being the ColecoVision is still our main platform, and we have many new exciting things planned for 2017, as we hope to share with you later this year.
Q: What is the IntelliXpander?
A: Without going into too much detail (there will plenty of time for that later), the IntelliXpander drastically improves the Intellivision processing power without replacing any of the existing components. The benefits of such improvement are more complex games, more diverse and complex graphics and animations, and arcade realistic sounds (even including voices and other highly advanced effects). All inside a brand new plastic case (most possibly based on the IntelliVoice case, to keep a consistent look with existing Inty gear). It should also be compatible with most if not all existing Intellivision and IntelliVoice software.
Q: Isn’t the IntelliXpander just an April Fools prank?
A: It started as a prank, but kind of backfired on us, since we weren’t expecting anyone to believe it. And since we let the cat out of the bag, it made sense for us to go ahead and officially announce it.
Q: Is that a SNES Jr motherboard inside an IntelliVoice case?
A: No, that isn’t a SNES board, the IntelliXpander won’t run any SNES games, and while similar looking, the case won’t be identical to the IntelliVoice. And before you ask, that is not a video capture board either.
Q: Does the IntelliXpander have a NES-on-a-chip inside it?
A: No, it doesn’t. In fact, it isn’t related to the NES in any way.
Q: Does the IntelliXpander include a new video chip?
A: No, it doesn’t.
Q: Does the IntelliXpander use new proprietary cartridges?
A: No, it still uses the same cartridge format as the Intellivision, with no need for a special connector. The IntelliXpander games won’t run on a plain vanilla Intellivision though.
Q: How much it is going to cost?
A: It is hard to provide a definitive price figure at this point. Factors affecting price are the size of the case and the complexity of the module. Based on that, our best guesstimate is that it will be a little more expensive than the ColecoVision Super Game Module. However in the end the main factor is going to be the demand, since production costs are greatly affected (either positively or negatively) by the number of units that are produced. The unit will come with the usual deluxe box and manual.
Q: Can I pre-order now?
A: Not yet. Pre-order will start next year, once we are close to manufacturing. However we will have a waiting list soon in our website, please stay tuned.
Q: What games will be available for it?
A: We have two games initially planned, Castlevania and Gradius. Of course at least one of them will debut alongside the module. And we will keep producing new games after that, but we have nothing to announce regarding that at this point.
Q: Will 3rd parties support the IntelliXpander?
A: We hope so, but there is nothing decided yet, as we won’t be contacting developers until we have the first prototypes running.

Q: Does the IntelliXpander include a new video chip?
A: No, it doesn’t.

Additional Information from Opcode:

(minor revisions)

Opcode always try to keep hardware authentic, in the sense of what could have been done back in the day. In fact except for glue logic (Mattel could have used small proprietary chips anyways), Opcode always uses old stock parts that were available around the time these machines were still being made, so no FPGAs and such here. 64KB ROM cartridges with extra RAM could be technically possible back in the early 1980s, which may of been expensive in that era.

Mattel was not very willing to release anything bigger than 8KB ROM back in the day, so can you imagine they releasing a game with bankswitching ROM, extra RAM and a co-processor inside a cartridge? An expansion module is an one time buy proposition, so you don't have to pay premium prices on each game later. But in the end of day, what it is really important and rewarding is to sit in front of the TV with our Intellivision's and play some nice new games.

Additional Information from Opcode:

(minor revisions)

1) Opcode is NOT replacing any Intellivision component, rather adding, just like the IntelliVoice and ECS added functionally to the base system. These are officially released Mattel modules, expanding the Intellivision is not new.

2) Opcode is NOT releasing dual mode games for the same reason Mattel didn't release dual mode IntelliVioce and ECS software. It is not necessary releasing an expansion module and then releasing games that do not require it.

Thanks from Opcode:
The reason why we announced now was to gauge interest. To get a module like this made is a huge undertaking from a homebrew perspective, and believe me, the investment of time and money is quite considerable, so we needed to know if we were doing the right thing, and judging by the response we got (and thanks everyone for the support and warming welcome), we are convinced that we are in the right path. So we will go silent for the time being and hopefully when we are back we will have something relevant to show.

Opcode Games is not affiliated, partnered, or in business with Intellivision Revolution.

Edited by Rev
  • Like 6

Yeah, some new milkers found the udder. Oh dear, that won't end good for all sides. Too many people have to skip many releases, which will result in bad sales and profit losses. Classical lose-lose situation.

Hopefully and if this is true... The price them right and that may not be a problem.. in the meantime I hope the Canadian Dollar bounces back to a reasonable rate..

I can't believe we guys started another thread because of our April Fools post... :P

Fair enough, suggestions for a first game? :D

Soon you will learn to post in the Intv section!

I thought you was doing Gradius, Goonies, and the other two games?

Soon you will learn to post in the Intv section!

I thought you was doing Gradius, Goonies, and the other two games?

Touche, and in order to answer that I would have to reveal things we don't want to reveal yet. So the best I can do is to shut up for now and come back when and if I have something to show. Hopefully soon.

• Like 4

Touche, and in order to answer that I would have to reveal things we don't want to reveal yet. So the best I can do is to shut up for now and come back when and if I have something to show. Hopefully soon.

Yes, best to not reveal stuff too soon thus something should not go to plan. ;-)

Team Revolution has a good amount in the pipeline. If people knew my evil master plan they would have a heart attack. Or maybe ill just shut it all down one day. Who knows, right? Haha

Lol! Or maybe just PM Rev and I and we'll help you navigate the Inty forums. :)

SGM and those 4 games can work on Intellivision. Here's how: Inty 2 (and modded Inty 1) has video and audio line that bypasses the whole hardware and goes direct to RF modulator. Hack the CV system so instead of AV modded ports, it has card board set at just the right position, mate it into Inty 2's cart slot, add in SGM, and one of the newer game and viola, Gradius on Intellivision.

:D

(by same idea, one can have XBOX One and PS4 module that works in Intellivision II. You may need to use external power, Inty 2 probably would catch on fire trying to power the beasts up)

Edited by 7800fan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ed did you mean CGE? Maybe you could come for PRGE in October and show off your Inty WIP. :)

No, I was actually curious about CES, Consumer Electronic Show. Back in 1983 they cancelled the Inty III during summer CES (June), exactly 33 years ago. But it seems now only winter CES exists.

As for PRGE, it is too far away for me unfortunately. I have been once in Seattle, many many years ago, and I had the chance to meet Lee Krueger and Rick Weis, so it would be great to pay a visit again. but let's see, maybe next year when Grazi is in the US. As for Inty WIP, I have no idea what you're talking about... :P

• Like 1

No, I was actually curious about CES, Consumer Electronic Show. Back in 1983 they cancelled the Inty III during summer CES (June), exactly 33 years ago. But it seems now only winter CES exists.

As for PRGE, it is too far away for me unfortunately. I have been once in Seattle, many many years ago, and I had the chance to meet Lee Krueger and Rick Weis, so it would be great to pay a visit again. but let's see, maybe next year when Grazi is in the US. As for Inty WIP, I have no idea what you're talking about... :P

:) That would be great if you and Grazi could make it next year. PRGE has seemingly become the biggest show of the year. Maybe at PRGE 2017 you can debut your 3rd and 4th Inty games since you'll have already released a couple by then. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am in for everything you make and sell, if this the real deal.

Amazing at it's core, and those are great games I would love to play on my Intellivision!!!

I played Gradius for hours and more hours on my Nintendo, super fun game! Thanks, Wolfy :)

• Like 1