IGNORED

Save game data with MyIde 2 ?

erichenneke

Yes, syscheck-2 plugs into the expansion port (XL or XE), cartridge slot can be used for something else, like MyIDE-][.

I bought it to be an easy-way to upgrade memory on the system currently in use.

But also for fixing Atari's that won't boot anymore (ram problems)

What I know is that Side is more SDX oriented, so for heavy dos-users (not gamers).

MyIDE has the option to load/emulate rom-files so it acts as the real cartridge.

Both have their cons and pros.

But from the IDE-part of the hardware they are basically the same.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

On an Atari without U1MB MyIDE is (for me) by far the best alternative. MyIDE is like a swiss army knife. It is really an amazing device which a plethora of features.

What I like most is the fact that it can act as a cartridge AND harddisk interface at the same time. The compatibility with games on stock 64K atari computers. The MyBIOS Soft OS is good enough for 48K applications, coding in Assember or Basic and the OS B compatibility is a nice extra.

On an Atari with U1MB though I would recommend the SIDE2 interface. Thanks to FJC new Bios for U1MB the SIDE2 turns into a REAL PBI harddisk. This means you can use a 100% stock Rev. XL/XE OS and you still have harddisk access. This in combination with with FAT32 support, and R/W on ATR files on FAT32 partition makes SIDE2 in this setup the winner.

If MyIDE's II IDE registers could be changed in the CPLD core so they match the IDE registers in SIDE2, then MyIDE could act like real PBI device too with U1MB. I understand this is a very difficult request, since this would mean that MyBIOS has to be changed too, but it would be extremely exciting and also increases abilities of MyIDE interface. Something to think about perhaps... Another very cool thing would be if MyBIOS would use apt partition scheme in stead of MyBIOS own partition scheme. Also something that is not needed, but it would be awesome if one could use the same CF card in IDE+, SIDE2 and MyIDE2 interface. This is already possible with SIDE2 and IDE+.

But the end word for me: I'm very excited about all my Atari HD interfaces, and I wouldn't like to part with any of them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, syscheck-2 plugs into the expansion port (XL or XE), cartridge slot can be used for something else, like MyIDE-][.

I bought it to be an easy-way to upgrade memory on the system currently in use.

But also for fixing Atari's that won't boot anymore (ram problems)

What I know is that Side is more SDX oriented, so for heavy dos-users (not gamers).

MyIDE has the option to load/emulate rom-files so it acts as the real cartridge.

Both have their cons and pros.

But from the IDE-part of the hardware they are basically the same.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

Ok, so I received my syscheck2 today! Very useful device, now I can get my "other" 130xe working again hopefully (bad memory).

Anyway, so how do I go about putting the R version of MyBIOS on the Syscheck2 to be able to use it as an alternate/external OS?

I understand how the dip switches on the Syscheck2 work, but I have to get MyBIOS onto the Syscheck2 first before I could select it of course.

What's the process for that?

Best is to ask Jürgen (creator of SysCheck II) for the flashing tool. I only have it on my Atari (not on Pc/Mac) and I'm not sure it is compatible with the newest version of SysCheck II (The one you bouhgt).

The tool is simple to use. What you need is the 16KB ROM version of the MyBIOS R version.

You have to make your own decision which version of MyBIOS you want to flash on it. My advice would be the 4.8.0A version but that is personal. In case you do that, do not forget to run the SETUP ATR that belongs to that version too, since you have to write MyBIOS menu to CF card then.

This probably sounds like abacadabra. Please contact me through PM for personal assistance. We might exchange Skype info or WhatsApp if you have that. Then I can give you realtime support.

Great step that you bought that SysCheck ... it's worth every penny!

Best is to ask Jürgen (creator of SysCheck II) for the flashing tool. I only have it on my Atari (not on Pc/Mac) and I'm not sure it is compatible with the newest version of SysCheck II (The one you bouhgt).

The tool is simple to use. What you need is the 16KB ROM version of the MyBIOS R version.

You have to make your own decision which version of MyBIOS you want to flash on it. My advice would be the 4.8.0A version but that is personal. In case you do that, do not forget to run the SETUP ATR that belongs to that version too, since you have to write MyBIOS menu to CF card then.

This probably sounds like abacadabra. Please contact me through PM for personal assistance. We might exchange Skype info or WhatsApp if you have that. Then I can give you realtime support.

Great step that you bought that SysCheck ... it's worth every penny!

Thanks! Yes, the new Syscheck2 came with the flashtool already in the zip file Jurgen emailed to me. :)

Just saw that it has an instruction file in the flashtool folder. So should be easy.

Where can I get the 16K version of the MyBIOS R OS ?

Thanks! Yes, the new Syscheck2 came with the flashtool already in the zip file Jurgen emailed to me. :)

Just saw that it has an instruction file in the flashtool folder. So should be easy.

Where can I get the 16K version of the MyBIOS R OS ?

Ok, I found the 16K version of MyBIOS R ROM file. I'll give it a try this evening. Thanks !

Better go for the newer 4.9 B15, its build for MyIDE-][ and does not need the hassle of running setup on CF cards.....

It has also the 512k bin file to upgrade your myide-][, older firmwares are included. ;-)

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585

Have you flashed MyBIOS-R2 directly to the Syscheck2.2 ?

It seems the SysFlash tool that was sent to me doesn't exactly agree with the dip switches on the Syscheck2.2. Perhaps the SysFlash tool was developed based on an older Syscheck hardward version. Anyway, I am worried I'll screw something up if i start guess at dip switch settings while attempting to flash.

I sent a note to Jurgen directly also, so awaiting some feedback on this.

Wanted to see if others have already done this and had any luck specifically with SysCheck2.2.

Thanks!

Have you flashed MyBIOS-R2 directly to the Syscheck2.2 ?

It seems the SysFlash tool that was sent to me doesn't exactly agree with the dip switches on the Syscheck2.2. Perhaps the SysFlash tool was developed based on an older Syscheck hardward version. Anyway, I am worried I'll screw something up if i start guess at dip switch settings while attempting to flash.

I sent a note to Jurgen directly also, so awaiting some feedback on this.

Wanted to see if others have already done this and had any luck specifically with SysCheck2.2.

Thanks!

I haven't come to this yet, I have used it for memory-expansion/repairs until now.

I haven't come to this yet, I have used it for memory-expansion/repairs until now.

thanks.

Jürgen let me know that the flash tool has not yet been updated to work with the new syscheck2.2 hardware.

So, will just need to wait for that to be completed at some point in the future.

thanks.

Jürgen let me know that the flash tool has not yet been updated to work with the new syscheck2.2 hardware.

So, will just need to wait for that to be completed at some point in the future.

post-10165-0-63886000-1462674199_thumb.pngpost-10165-0-81611600-1462674225_thumb.png

My choice was to replace the Qmeg 4.4 OS slot.

sysflash.com when run asks for OPTION KEY press it

RED SCREEN

then move dip3 to OFF position

GREEN SCREEN

sysflash programs ask to press START KEY

WHITE SCREEN

GREEN SCREEN

sysflash program ask to move dip3 to ON position.

press OPTION KEY

programs should say **SUCESSFULL"

Edited by rdea6

attachicon.gifCapturemyide.PNGattachicon.gifCapturedip.PNG

My choice was to replace the Qmeg 4.4 OS slot.

sysflash.com when run asks for OPTION KEY press it

RED SCREEN

then move dip3 to OFF position

GREEN SCREEN

sysflash programs ask to press START KEY

WHITE SCREEN

GREEN SCREEN

sysflash program ask to move dip3 to ON position.

press OPTION KEY

programs should say **SUCESSFULL"

thanks, that is exactly what i am trying also because I too chose to replace QMEG.

However, it isn't working for me...

The problem is that if I start with DIP 1-1 ON, DIP 1-2 ON, and DIP 2-1 ON, DIP 2-2 OFF, DIP 2-3 OFF

After pressing OPTION (red screen), when I try to move DIP 2-1 to OFF the screen turns to garbage and my system hangs up. So I am unable to complete the process.

Look at the pictures again and try setting SysCheck dip switches as shown in picture

try counting left to right 1 2 1 2 3

1 on 2 off 1 off 2 on 3 on

and 3 is the switch for the OFF/ON sequence.

excellent! Thanks, i was my function block reversed when i was reading your first diagram.

This seems to have worked!

Now I need to figure out how to use the MY-BIOS R2 and MyIDE2 image space loading together.

One step at a time. :)

The manual is on the atarimax forum ;-)

Remember:

Hotkeys are time-delayed, hold >2 seconds to activate.

Start with the [HELP]-key.

Thanks for the update guide, I will do that soon too.

Easy Peasy.....

Edited by mr-atari

The manual is on the atarimax forum ;-)

Remember:

Hotkeys are time-delayed, hold >2 seconds to activate.

Start with the [HELP]-key.

Thanks for the update guide, I will do that soon too.

Easy Peasy.....

Ok, got it all working great. MyIde2 with update 4.9 B15 and with MyBIOS-R2 running as the OS from the SysCheck external ROM.

With this setup, it will indeed run compiled TBXL programs from image space!

Nice! :)

One other question (for now), in MyBIOS-R2 image space, the image default seems to always be Protection ON ( which is a good thing!).

But is there a way to save it as Protection OFF for a particular image so you don't have to change it every time you start it?

For example, if I have an image with a game on it that saves hi score data, I have to set Protection to OFF each time I start that image otherwise it can't write the data to the image. I'd like to set these kind of images to always default to Protection OFF.

Is that possible?

Late reply, we were on holidays.....

Default for images is indeed protection ON, this because some game-disks will format or write back when protection is disabled......

So the default is ON.

You can easily set it to OFF, after selecting the IMAGE [enter] just press P, then C

It's only one keystroke more before you boot.

When booted, just do [shift] [control] [P] and wait for the beep.

Or if you want default Protection = disabled, you can put that game not in image-space but partition space.

When you do not need the disk, simple change the partition-ID from 1 to - (nothing)

Disadvantage it that you can't swap disks as easily as in image-mode.....

See example of my setup.

So when I want to boot the 16MB-disk1 I Swap A with C or want to use SpartaDosX Swap A with G.

post-6668-0-58193600-1463304378_thumb.png

Edited by mr-atari

• 5 weeks later...

Late reply, we were on holidays.....

Default for images is indeed protection ON, this because some game-disks will format or write back when protection is disabled......

So the default is ON.

You can easily set it to OFF, after selecting the IMAGE [enter] just press P, then C

It's only one keystroke more before you boot.

When booted, just do [shift] [control] [P] and wait for the beep.

Or if you want default Protection = disabled, you can put that game not in image-space but partition space.

When you do not need the disk, simple change the partition-ID from 1 to - (nothing)

Disadvantage it that you can't swap disks as easily as in image-mode.....

See example of my setup.

So when I want to boot the 16MB-disk1 I Swap A with C or want to use SpartaDosX Swap A with G.

Just saw this response. Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

-Eric