IGNORED

Will this power supply work with Jaguar?

LS650

I have a couple of Jaguars, but only one power supply, an original brick from Atari. I thought it might be wise to order a second unit as a backup in case this one ever blows out.

I saw this auction: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161400328900

The auction claims it is a "Power Supply for the Atari Jaguar" and the blurry photo does state that it is for a Genesis 1, so I thought it should be okay.

This is what I received:

post-8320-0-89155200-1460509832_thumb.jpg post-8320-0-74898800-1460509868_thumb.jpg

Although the box does state Genesis 1, the PS is labelled as putting out only 350 mAmps.

I have the distinct feeling that this won't work, so I am reluctant to use it with my Jaguar in case it fries it!

I wrote to the seller to ask if he had actually used these with a Jaguar, and he wrote back,

"Yes, I have. I have sold Jaguar systems and included the same power supply and sold many of these with no issues to Atari Jaguar owners as well."

What do you think?

When it comes to power supplies for the Jaguar, you have to be careful. The console is VERY picky with how much power it gets. Make sure you use an authentic Atari branded plug or one that was designed for the Jaguar. Even with the Atari plugs, depending on the age and how warn out they get, I had one where the Jaguar would go dark when playing a game after about 10 minutes. I changed the power supply and it works fine. You can find Atari Jaguar plugs between $20-$30 for an authentic one, even new. That's what I did until I got a custom made plug that powers both the Jaguar and the Jaguar CD. Just a note, there are two styles of the Jaguar power plug, one that's larger like the Sega Genesis model 1 and a smaller one with a grey sticker on it, from what I remember, the specs are the same so either one will work, but the one with the grey sticker is the newer version, I'd say go with that.

• Like 1

Well the current rating is only slightly more than 25% of that of the original unit so if it does work it is probably doing so in borderline conditions.

The official units are rated such that they can be used to power either the Jaguar or CD unit which use different amount of current, I did measure the current used by both units but do not have the information to hand. If I remember I will try to find the information tonight.

Edited by Stephen Moss
  • Like 1

What do you think?

It may work out perfectly as the seller stated but personally, I wouldn't trust it with my Jags. Even though the Genesis 1 adapter has been proven I wouldn't use that either.

I was down some PSUs a while back but ebay'ed Jag specific ones as replacements. I might be overprotective but the value of the cats far outweighs the price difference and trouble of getting what I know will work correctly without exception. :cool:

Don't use it. It's completely underpowered for the Jaguar: the official power supply is rated for 1200 mA, and the current draw in real-life conditions is at least 900 mA (it was measured on a Jaguar running Zero 5).

In addition to the Jaguar not working properly, the power supply will probably overheat and die, or be a potential fire hazard.

I wouldn't use it on the other consoles it's listed for (NES, SNES, Genesis 1) either. They all have power supplies rated for 850 mA or more.

EDIT: The reviews on Amazon say it is very light, so it is most likely one of those cheap junk power supplies with fake compliance marks. That's another good reason not to use it: those counterfeited things have been known to damage equipment, or even start fires or cause electrical shocks.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 2

Don't use it. It's completely underpowered for the Jaguar: the official power supply is rated for 1200 mA, and the current draw in real-life conditions is at least 900 mA (it was measured on a Jaguar running Zero 5).

In addition to the Jaguar not working properly, the power supply will probably overheat and die, or be a potential fire hazard.

I concur, having found the measurements I made the current used fluctuated during game play but averaged at around 560mA although I know it is possible some games may require more depending on how hard they push the Jag (I never tried it with Zero 5).

Although the internal switching regulator for the Jags main power can go some way to compensating for the lack of current from the power unit being used asking it cope with that much undercurrent is really pushing things. As I stated originally if it does work it would be operating under borderline operating conditions, consequently I suspect the sellers claims for it powering a Jag are erroneous and at best its ability to do so may be short lived or limited to those games that use the minimal amount of the Jaguars resources. Using it for games that require more current may well result in a damaged Jag and/or power unit.

There are good reasons the original Jaguar supplies specifications are what they are, consequently if you want to keep both your console and power units happy when looking for replacement power units for anything...

Your best option is an exact match for voltage and current.

Second best option is correct regulated output voltage and the same or higher current rating.

Third best option is correct output voltage and maximum 10% under current.

In all three cases the correct polarity is obviously essential.

• Like 1

If I had the means, I would throw every Retro Bit, 2-in-1, and related power supply into a volcano. Then I would throw the people responsible for making them in, too.

The transformers are cornsilk wrapped cat turds and the diodes are made from freeze dried spider legs and phlegm. Filter caps are bits of irradiated chicken gizzard.

I might be exaggerating slightly but all they do is cause trouble. I'd say they were safe for Christmas lights but I wouldn't leave one plugged in unattended.

Edited by FABombjoy
  • Like 3