IGNORED

Atari 7800 Rewritable Multigame Cartridge

vectrexroli

Almost.

7800 DK Pokey is the hack that has new Pokey audio and 93% or more changed original DK 7800. It started out DK 7800, but almost every bit of code is changed to match the Arcade version. So much amazing work that thought it needed pointing out. :D I didn't know that was the only 48P game so far.

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 2

Almost.

7800 DK Pokey is the hack that has new Pokey audio and 93% or more changed original DK 7800. It started out DK 7800, but almost every bit of code is changed to match the Arcade version. So much amazing work that thought it needed pointing out. :D I didn't know that was the only 48P game so far.

Tep stated it was his original DK Hack with Pokey that he was talking about. You're talking about his now DK XM and that is a 144k game or at least that is the extension I had to use for it to work, S9P. Pretty sure Tep is talking about his earlier hack adding in Pokey to the current 7800 release. Again, I will check as I know I have it but not currently loaded up on my 16 in 1. Though again I remember playing that hacked DK version on my Mateos cart without issue.

Well..the DK Pokey that Tep posted works...minus audio. But I know there was another DK 7800 version with Pokey instead of TIA that worked. Aha..I just found it, it is listed as a 144k game so I'm using the S9P extension for it. Plays like the normal 7800 game but with Pokey audio added to it. odd...

So I guess mine doesn't completely support 48P at least not with Pokey as well. But S9P is a go for sure.

Tep stated it was his original DK Hack with Pokey that he was talking about. You're talking about his now DK XM and that is a 144k game or at least that is the extension I had to use for it to work, S9P. Pretty sure Tep is talking about his earlier hack adding in Pokey to the current 7800 release. Again, I will check as I know I have it but not currently loaded up on my 16 in 1. Though again I remember playing that hacked DK version on my Mateos cart without issue.

I never knew about this.

DK 7800 in the original releases does have the worst TIA sound above all the rest. Just replacing that grating noise with pokey would have people lining up to get a cart.

They did such a spectacular TIA sound with Food Fight including all the "instant replay" music, and we didn't have any problem doing acceptable music and sound in DK VCS and DK Arcade 2600?!

I just wish a budget 7800 XM with a Pokey, AY-chip, RAM, High Score Saving, and speech would wrap up and ship. Seems so simple that it should have taken a single year.

The Coleco Super Game Module V1 & V2 have all that except high score saving, and well no Pokey but that beloved chip is 1970's tech -- look what a little bit more sound did for the NES which only had 64 colors, 9 of those black,

With lots of similar grays and blues. The 2600 & 7800 had more color choices. NES sound was quite restricted with melodic oscillators, noise channel and DPCM sampled channel.

I know you can do a lot with limited colors, and a lot with limited sound, but more usually leads to greater expression.

• Like 1

Well..the DK Pokey that Tep posted works...minus audio. But I know there was another DK 7800 version with Pokey instead of TIA that worked. Aha..I just found it, it is listed as a 144k game so I'm using the S9P extension for it. Plays like the normal 7800 game but with Pokey audio added to it. odd...

So I guess mine doesn't completely support 48P at least not with Pokey as well. But S9P is a go for sure.

That might be one of the early revs. After I decided to do a full upgrade, the first step was to take the 48k version and make a 144k version out of it.

• 1 month later...

I just got a hold of one of these suckers, but I'm having a dilly of a time writing stuff to it.

I'm on a Mac. Nay, two Macs. And before you say, "Get a REAL computer!" I'm quite happy with something that actually works and boots up and shuts down in like half a second.

Anyhoo...

I have a 2015 MacBookPro, 13 inch, 8 gigs RAM, running macOS Sierra with all the latest updates. Exposed the hidden files, used the "ditto" command in the FAQ and made sure no hidden files or folders copied over. Specifically, this was for the Santa Simon ROM, header removed. Turn it on, and...just a scrambled screen. No Atari logo. Now...I know it could be a PAL versus NTSC issue theoretically, but I've found that even PAL stuff will give me the Atari BIOS screen upon startup...this doesn't.

So I tried my mid-2011 iMac, 16 gigs RAM, running OSX El Capitan with all its latest updates (one of these days I will upgrade it to macOS Sierra!)....what was weird was when I mounted the card, it showed 5.9 MEGABYTES free on each of the 16 spaces, while the MacBookPro showed pretty much exactly what I expected. I tried all the steps as before, but got the aforementioned "can't be copied because there isn't enough free space" error that a prior poster mentioned.

Any hints?

Heh. Can't run WINE unless I downgrade Java.

Having said that...tried again....took a couple of attempts until I was able to get the ROM to actually show up in a directory display on the card. Once I finally did, I saw that it put two files in there: one and a duplicate with a dot in front of it. I removed the dotted version via the "rm" command in the terminal, and BAM! I'm in! woohoo!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had a strange issue with my 16-in-1 the other night. I hadn't fired up the cart in at least a month I guess? Anyway, went to pop it in and noticed that the game in bank 1 would give me the 7800 bios loader and then just scrambled graphics... Which, I've seen when I have a corrupted rom image loaded or the wrong extension. However, the game in that slot was working fine last time I had played it so I knew that wasn't it. I then switched to position 2 and the game in that slot loaded right up without issue. Went down the line through all remaining slots and when I got to slot 8 the same thing happened with squirrely lines after the 7800 bios loader graphic. The cart is and pretty much always has been in 144k mode so I only use slots 1 - 8. But on a hunch I put the switch to slot 0 and turned on the Atari. Sure enough Pacman 320 mode came right up?! Odd thing is that I have that game actually loaded in slot 8 not 0. I then moved the switch back to slot 1 and sure enough that game was now loading properly. I then went through all the switch selections again from 1 through 8 and this time they all fired up. And yes, this time Pacman 320 mode came up in slot 8 as it should have the first time. I then tried slot 0 again and got the 7800 bios loader and then squirrely lines as was happening before and what I expected should have happened the first time I tried slot 0.

So..not sure what that was about but i guess the mappings of the roms were somehow goofed on the first and last slots and somehow corrected when a game that shouldn't have loaded from a rom slot did? I don't know... and I haven't tested it since...but just thought it strange. Anyone else exhibit this behavior?

• 2 months later...

Say....has anybody gotten the Mateos cart to burn with macOS Sierra??? Here's the story:

I never tried to burn a ROM to my Mateos cart with my MacBookPro -- which runs Sierra -- until I was at Midwest Gaming Classic. And for whatever reason, it just wouldn't work. No Atari startup logo, just garbage. I followed the steps in my video to a tee. I always burned using my iMac, running OSX El Capitan. (That's what I was using in the video.)

Well, yesterday I upgraded the iMac to macOS Sierra, and suddenly when I try to burn a ROM to the cart, I get the garbage results again. Once again, followed the steps in my own video. Verified that nothing else was on the cart except for the one file. Same problem.

Just to make sure it wasn't a faulty USB cable, faulty Mateos cart, or faulty burner, I booted up my work laptop, which runs WIndows 7, and tried burning a ROM with that. And it WORKED. (Of course, I don't want to have to boot the work laptop just to burn a ROM, especially because anything can happen: the IT department might want to put Windows 10 on it, or I might be switched to a team that uses Mac, or I just might plain leave that job some day...)

I e-mailed Juan, but I know he's a busy guy and might not have a chance to reply. The instructions on the Mateos web site don't work with Sierra. :/

No, the less stuff I have the better! If anything, maybe I'll use a VM. In fact...that's probably the best idea.

Hadn't though of the VM route but that does seem like a good thing to try.

I'm able to get mine to work in Windows 10 pretty well now. I just have to run a small batch file to clear out the hidden volume files that Win 10 sticks on the flash cart before copying over the rom itself that I want to play. But, I also keep an old Acer Aspire1 netbook nearby. It has XP on it and works great with the Mateos cart. And it being pretty darn tiny helps with space and keeping it out of the way.

Heh. That's the thing -- I have a similar batch file for my Mac. And I've verified time and again that the ROM is the *only* file on that spot. No hidden files, no hidden directories, no nothin'. Still doesn't work. Wonder if Sierra effs with the formatting or something.

Heh. That's the thing -- I have a similar batch file for my Mac. And I've verified time and again that the ROM is the *only* file on that spot. No hidden files, no hidden directories, no nothin'. Still doesn't work. Wonder if Sierra effs with the formatting or something.

I'm not a Mac user, but I suspect there are utilities you can grab for doing file comparisons? I'd be curious to know if the rom you copied from Sierra is different in size or content to the one that is copied with your older OS? Could be there is something being written into the file at the time is gets copied perhaps that hoses up the file information?

Hadn't though of the VM route but that does seem like a good thing to try.

I'm able to get mine to work in Windows 10 pretty well now. I just have to run a small batch file to clear out the hidden volume files that Win 10 sticks on the flash cart before copying over the rom itself that I want to play. But, I also keep an old Acer Aspire1 netbook nearby. It has XP on it and works great with the Mateos cart. And it being pretty darn tiny helps with space and keeping it out of the way.

Say, would you share that batch file, please? :music:

Edited by walter_J64bit

Say, would you share that batch file, please? :music:

Sure, I believe I shared this once before? But here it is again. You will need to edit the batch file to accommodate your specific drive letter that your Mateos cart uses. I take ZERO responsibility for anything this goofs up should you decide to use it. It works great for me, but that doesn't mean it works great for everyone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/og4vxat231jgvg5/7800SlotClear.bat?dl=0

Sure, I believe I shared this once before? But here it is again. You will need to edit the batch file to accommodate your specific drive letter that your Mateos cart uses. I take ZERO responsibility for anything this goofs up should you decide to use it. It works great for me, but that doesn't mean it works great for everyone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/og4vxat231jgvg5/7800SlotClear.bat?dl=0

This also solved my problems with WIN10 way back when I got my Mateo's Cart. - Tanks CB!

Well, here's the situation...

I tried again. I copied a ROM over. I made sure there was nothing but the ROM on the Mateos. All hidden files gone.

I did a hex compare on the source file and the destination file. Result: they're identical.

Now, here's the weird thing -- and this is NOTHING NEW: If you remove the Mateos cart from a Mac and then re-connect it, it's as if the file was never there...as if it got deleted when the Mateos was reconnected. THIS ALWAYS HAPPENED, EVEN ON THE OLDER OS WHEN IT ACTUALLY WORKED. But on my work laptop (again, Windows 7) it acts like a normal USB drive: I can re-connect much later and the ROM file still shows up in Windows on the Mateos.

But again, THE MATEOS ALWAYS WORKED THAT WAY FOR ME ON A MAC. It's just that since my Sierra upgrade, ROMs no longer work.

Well, here's the situation...

I tried again. I copied a ROM over. I made sure there was nothing but the ROM on the Mateos. All hidden files gone.

I did a hex compare on the source file and the destination file. Result: they're identical.

Now, here's the weird thing -- and this is NOTHING NEW: If you remove the Mateos cart from a Mac and then re-connect it, it's as if the file was never there...as if it got deleted when the Mateos was reconnected. THIS ALWAYS HAPPENED, EVEN ON THE OLDER OS WHEN IT ACTUALLY WORKED. But on my work laptop (again, Windows 7) it acts like a normal USB drive: I can re-connect much later and the ROM file still shows up in Windows on the Mateos.

But again, THE MATEOS ALWAYS WORKED THAT WAY FOR ME ON A MAC. It's just that since my Sierra upgrade, ROMs no longer work.

Hehe... on my Windows10 PC the rom file disappears as you described with your Mac. So anytime I plug the cart in, I have to be prepared to copy over whatever was in the currently selected slot or it might just go away upon connecting up the cart.

What I did was basically decide on just a few slots to use and leave the others alone for now until such time I change them out. This way, I make sure when I'm done with the cart or when I want to put a different game onto it. I always select the slot on the cart first before plugging it in.

Once it is detected, I use the batch file to wipe out the hidden crap off it, and then copy and paste my rom over to it.