IGNORED

1 Meg Super AMS Discussion Thread

Omega-TI

Yes, that is the closest match to your version of the board. I need to add the 555 circuit to that one (it is mostly independent of the rest of the board, so it should not be what's giving you issues here. One additional thing I would check here is the LS612. I get way too many weird symptoms from bad 612 chips (About one in six of the NOS chips I've picked up for these was bad).

Can you suggest a source? I bought 4 on EBay and eight from an electronics store in CO and still don't have one that works 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I had some fun hobby time this weekend, building a bunch of SAMS boards with some assistance from Iliketurtles. :) He's getting quite good at stuffing components for me--and he likes doing it, which is even better. Now we just need to populate them with chips and run them through the testing process. Several of these are already earmarked for folks who have expressed interest for one via private message, but once we're done filling those orders, there should be a few left for others wanting one. I have plenty of bare boards (sold through Arcadeshopper's website), so I'll be able to keep building these for a while before needing to make another order.

post-27541-0-44451900-1522023242.png

• Like 6

Pretty much the only way to get a TI clamshell is to remove one from an existing card. Several notes here, however. Most cards that were designed without a plan to use a clamshell don't have holes placed in the board to allow them to use one. In addition, the TI clamshells have a couple of protrusions that would contact a board without additional holes that are needed to avoid the protrusions--and they would either prevent the clamshell from closing (by impacting with a component) or short out some traces (very bad for the card and the PEB).

One note, I had to pay somewhat more to get some of the chips for this lot, so the price for anyone that didn't have a prior reservation at the old price is $85 to a US address (with appropriate adjustments for shipment to other countries).

• Like 2

These don't look like they have mounting holes. But the 3D-Printer idea seems good. Would have to be a generic mounting system, or one that can be adjusted. Mainly thinking of component protections more than anything else. Would also feel more comfortable with better ventilation. That's one thing that's bothered me about the original TI cards. No ventilation :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There are still three assembled cards available from this batch. No worries on future availability either, as I have sufficient parts on hand to build another 20-30 boards (although I do need to buy some additional memory chips, as I am running low on those). I need to send Arcadeshopper some bare boards to restock his site as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice job so far! On the memory chip sockets, you really didn't need to add the extra four pins to go from 32 to 36 pins (unless you want to put a 36-pin 2MB NVSRAM chip in one (and leave the other one empty). I did that on one of my test boards to see what would happen. You only get to use 1MB of the space though, as the logic to feed the rest of the address data to the mapper inputs is missing from this iteration of the board. If you do choose to use the single large chip, you do need to set the jumpers to 2048K. I'll have to look to see what my last assembled and tested serial number is to let you know what yours should be to maintain the sequence.

Jim, I have searched in my messages and in this thread, but cannot find where you might have given me a number for my SAMS, which I built, Do you remember if you did? The last I could find was you had told Greg his was #15. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Like 1