IGNORED

E-mail notification changes?

DZ-Jay

Did something change? My e-mail notifications used to read by default in HTML, but now they are showing the "plain-text" version by default. It's messy, and I have to actively choose to "view HTML" in order to render it like before.

Checking out the source, I see that now the plain-text version is a "quoted-printable" MIME part, ahead of the HTML part. Compared to the e-mails I got before today, where the plain-text version is an alternative at the top of the content (with no MIME boundary) and the MIME boundary actually leads to the HTML part.

For example, older (good) version:

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="XXXXXXX"

THIS IS PLAIN-TEXT.

--XXXXXXX
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<p>THIS IS HTML</p>

--XXXXXXX--

Newer (bad) version:

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="XXXXXXX"

--XXXXXXX
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

THIS IS PLAIN-TEXT.

--XXXXXXX
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

<p>THIS IS HTML</p>

--XXXXXXX--

Both are valid, but the first one clearly sets the HTML part as the "default," while the other one lets the client select it, which typically means use the first one (at least in my Mail client).

Can this be restored, please?

-dZ.

Can't you tell your mail client what format it should prefer?

I don't think so... at least not that I can find. I'm using Apple Mail for Mac OS X 10.8 (Lion). It seems to default to whatever the first MIME part is. I can't seem to find an option in the Preferences to change that. :(

That"s Apple's fault then, not AA's. :)

Kindly read my first post again and see if there is anywhere where I blamed AA. While you're at it, see if you can spot the part about how the MIME composition of the messages changed from one day to the next.

Bonus points if you noticed where I point out that both formats are correct (so it's not a bug), and how I asked to please restore the old functionality.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

It's back! YAY! I know this is a stupid Apple Mail issue (picking the first MIME format as default instead of letting me configuring it), but I don't know how to fix that. :(

Does anybody know if there is a "hidden" configuration in a PLIST somewhere that allows me to select HTML as the preferred format for viewing e-mail?

-dZ.

P.S. Thanks Al and Co., in case you did anything at all. :)

Edited by DZ-Jay