IGNORED

ELDCDBPAPP Q*Bert Hack

TPR

At first, I thought it was a way to get around copyright (like Beef Drop, or Princess Rescue), but there is already a q-bert for CV.

So I'm not sure either.

When Q-bert dies in this version, he says: ELDCDBPAPP.

No idea what that could mean?! :P

Edited by KAZ

It's just a simple graphical hack. I used to do these all the time. I can post my (minor) Q*Bert hack if anyone would like it. I simply copied the Q*Bert sprite from the arcade, but there is only one sprite for him, thus one color. I also changed the word balloon to look more like the arcade version, and maybe a few other things.

I think I ought to start a thread for graphical hacks for the original release ROMs.

• Like 2

I think I ought to start a thread for graphical hacks for the original release ROMs.

That's a great idea! I was hoping there would be some sort of story behind why this one exists, though.

Attached is my ColecoVision Q*Bert graphical hack. The hacks are minor, but I think they're pretty cool! Q*Bert's sprites were updated to look bit-for-bit like the arcade version, but there was no second sprite for his eyes. I also updated his word balloon, but there wasn't quite enough space allocated for all the @!*?! characters to look exactly like the arcade. I think I also made the balls rounder.

If anyone would like to contribute to the improvements on this ROM, you have my permission!

Enjoy!

Q-bert (USA) hack by phattyboombatty.zip

• Like 4