I bought my FG99 in Rome, at the Euro Treffen 2017 directly from Ralph (hi!). As Omega says, it opens really a new way of using the real TI, it's wonderful.
I had minor troubles in starting-up:
1) I am using a 512M Trascend SD card. For the first few attempts I formatted as FAT16 using my Mac (I guess it's not the best choice for dealing with FAT stuff, but it's currently my only modern PC) and it was not recognized. But then I tried with FAT32 and it worked.
2) When turning on the TI, a reset was needed for the SD to be not recognized. Then I discovered the firmware update 1.1, and installing it solved the issue
3) the hardest troubles: putting the FG inside the 3D-printed case :-)
Anyway, now it works really well and I am enjoying a greatest collection of cartriges on my real TI.
After this brief introduction, one question. I have noticed that MBX carts (in the "starter pack") need the 32K. However I am sure that my MeteorBelt original cartridge (now unfortunately defunct) did not require it. Why this difference? I can think of two reasons for this:
- the MBX carts in the "starter pack" have been converted from a version of the programs that required the 32K. If this is the case, the reason is that the dump of original carts are not available?
- hardware-wise, the MBX carts are different from other types of carts, and the FG99 cannot emulate them without the 32K
Is one of my hypothesis right? Or are there other reasons?