IGNORED

Self Maintenance tips? ie. Life....

kiwilove

While not a topic that deals with the Atari 8 bit computers - I'm interested to know what sort of things do you do? To help maintain the body you are in?

[While this post could be better placed elsewhere - it's really for the frequent posters/readers here - it is intended for.]

There is no reason why you can't still be in that same human body you were in - back in the day - the 80s'

- if you follow a few simple guidelines for doing so.

Most people around you - would have gained extra weight and slowed down in their activities - but it doesn't have to be that way, if you don't desire it.

First off - you need to do regular exercise - regularly. The easiest way to do this is to take up a physical sport - for me, it's Volleyball and Table Tennis. Because I don't have family/partner commitments I do have the free time to do do so regularly. It was all Volleyball 3 nights a week - all year, but since the nights were dropped to once a week, I've since gone back into playing Table Tennis because it's there, in my local area. I'd much prefer playing Volleyball - but can't because it's not available - and even tried organising my own night for it - but it only went for about 2 years before the numbers fizzed out completely.

Running sports such as football, rugby, soccer, hockey, basketball, netball, etc require a high degree of fitness - and I never got use to large racket sports such as tennis, badminton, squash, etc. Never tried squash or fives (which uses just your hand).

Anyway Volleyball and Table Tennis suits the less mobile / older person because you're covering only a small area in which you move in - but still require agility, speed, coordination, etc. Also what I like about these two sports - are the attack and defensive moves/strategies present in them.

I wasn't into sports in my high school years - but dropped out completely and became a nerd - focusing on academic study with exams, etc.

The other thing is of course diet. That you need to maintain a healthy diet - and to not overeat. I tend to go for quick to make/prepare fast easy to eat plain meals. Like something ready to cook from the supermarket. To not eat late at night - unless it's a sports night, in which I do have a light snack. Normally I don't eat or drink anything past 6 or 7 pm. The last thing is stress - to avoid being in stressful situations and such like. I play sports for fun and not for serious competition - but after ten years in a sport, you do gain enough expertise so as to be able to play competively when the situation calls for it.

The human body you inhabit of course reflects the life style you have so chosen for yourself.

If you're not into sports - there is a very simple way to get some regular exercise. And that is to walk up a very steep hill on a regular basis. I do this, on the way to Volleyball - and do note that doing it once a week is simply not enough. That when I was doing it 2-3 times a week I've noted how easier it became.

The other alternative is to walk up stairs - the more floors the better!

Hopefully this will allow you to live past 100 easily - so that you can keep on with your Atari 8-bit interests for decades to come.

Harvey

• Like 2

But but....Oldschoolretrogamer.......

You

have

Never

Owned

an 8bit atari computer???

Say it aint so!!!!!

Sure I did, I still do.........apparently it did not make me understand the OP's post though..............

Also you have an interesting way of interpreting a Shatner image ;)

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

I also have a top tip, never eat a cold kebab, the fat congeals and it almost puts you off!

Seriously, nice tips Kiwi but sadly in my case working too hard killed my body, I was always a 'give 110%' person which if its physical work I beg you to stop before it stops you.

I was Mr Fitness doing circuit training, riding bikes, not smoking or drinking and then my knee's and legs started to feel a bit numb when climbing stairs, 2 weeks later I was under the knife with blown knees and arthritis spreading everywhere. Seems I'd been damaging my spine and other load bearing area's of my body.

So if you can get fit then do but if you are busting your b*lls daily at work with heavy work then tone it down. I know in today's employment scenario the boss expects everything but trust me, if you break your body then you won't have that job AND you will be nigh on crippled.

Why didn't I just stay in management :)

• Like 1

Smoke pot and drink lots of water..

I think you would be better off smoking lots of water and drinking pot :)

I know they say that scientific tests have proved cannabis to be good against certain illnesses but I just can't help wondering if the same scientists who are doing the tests just get so 'mashed up' that they would say just about anything to get some crisps & pizza delivered..

Edited by Mclaneinc

... Hopefully this will allow you to live past 100 easily - so that you can keep on with your Atari 8-bit interests for decades to come.

Harvey

This is one of the best posts I have ever seen on Atariage !

Wonderful intro, concrete examples and then a surprise in form of a brilliant reason for doing all those things in the first place :)

And I thought it's good to eat healthy and keep fit for sake of family, health etc... All this time I was actually aiming for those long gaming sessions when I finally reach my retirement ;)

I agree on everything you said: light exercise, avoid stress, eat healthy. One thing I found connects all those things is gardening. Nothing beats sitting at a porch in late summer, watching sunset, eating tomatoes from your garden, drinking little wine from your grapes and feeling relaxed after couple hours of light work outside ...

Well maybe a quick session of Star raiders after that ;)

Thanks!

• Like 1

After reading your message Pop I feel slightly ashamed although I'm hoping Harvey knows it was just a bit of fun. Yes we should take seriously any offer of advice where it comes to our health and its nice to see a community spirit being offered by Harvey.

Basically, if you let yourself go than its YOU that stops getting the most fun out of your Atari as a gamer (and other user)

We done Harvey, thanks for caring...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Thanks Popmilo for your wonderful comments.

I've just started watching a documentary series screening here - which happens to cover what is called the Dunedin Longitudinal Study, which follows 1000 babies born in Dunedin - that has been going on for 40+ years now. This is a so-called scientific study of human behaviour and draws correlations between personalities etc and outcomes. One sure indicator that was highlighted so far - was that children who displayed self control early in life - ended up with successful productive lives. With children there is the marshmallow test - with pre-school children being able to wait the full fifteen minutes so as to benefit of eating two marshmallows instead of the one - which they can have straight away.

My own thinking says - that we ourselves are the greatest obstacle to our own success in life. That 90% of the problems we face are self created - that we lack the resilience and patience to work through times of difficulty.

I hope that many of the replies mentioning the use of drugs etc - are hopefully said in jest. Because I do think that if you ask any alcoholic or frequent drug user etc - what they really think of their habit? They would say 9/10 that they wished to never have picked it up in the first place - because they would be better off financially, health wise etc etc if they hadn't.

It's not hard to see why the likes of drugs of any kind - are soul destroyers - and are of a negative influence upon one's life - when they get in the way of pursuing one's positive passions in life - whatever they may be. Because they mentally impair you.

Of course, there's always the exception - whereby, if you require the use of drugs for pain relief - for medical reasons - then that is the only valid reason for taking such drugs. Whereby the use of drugs does allow you to function normally as such.

People of course have complete freedom - almost to do whatever they like to do with their own lives. No one can live their life, except for them.

I don't want to go all preachy - but will say that making mistakes in life is normal and is part of life itself. However if you keep on making the same mistakes all over again and again - you don't have anyone else to blame but yourself.

I'm certainly not a good example of being successful in one's life - but I hope to have the time remaining - in which I can contribute a lot to society, etc etc if I can get message(s) through to those willing to listen, etc.

Harvey

• Like 2

Hi Harvey,

I'll do my best to answer you in the tone that you asked the original question. I don't mind off-topic conversations if they help us connect better.

1. Exercise: As mentioned, I believe in exercise but light exercise. As Paul (Mclaneinc) has mentioned, hard work will do you in. I used to do a lot of running and lifting weights at a young age but I gave that up. I do plenty of walking, yes, some of that uphill, some of it not. When everyone walks out of the train station, I like to be the quickest to walk past (not in) McDonalds near my station. Moderate exercise is good.

2. Drugs: I've never done any drugs except for alcohol and caffeine (and those prescribed). I do too much of the former though sometimes (in fads). Yes, it is a waste of money I agree. It does have societal goodness, though it has the opposite too. Yes, if I could start out again, I'd never drink a drop. Cigarettes killed my Father. I saw what they were doing to him back in the 80s and decided never to smoke because of that.

3. Keeping the mind active: Whether it be programming or doing something new, I love to learn. When I stagnate, I have problems. I can't think clearly and make irrational choices. When my mind is on the go, I do well.

4. EAT BREAKFAST!!! I've been learning this of late. I think I have a clearer head in the day when I do.

5. Forget opinions: Stop listening to everyone's opinion, as Steve Jobs said, "Opinions are just noise". Everyone thinks differently, it doesn't matter that person A shouts louder than person B. Person A is no more correct than person B until we look into the logic of what is said. Your mind will end up a fuzzball when you listen to everyone. Don't believe someone just because you have agreed with them in the past, look into what they are saying on this occasion. And also remember, those that shout the loudest are often but not always those with the weakest arguments.

• Like 1

i'm not sure i can even get properly involved in this conversation considering some of the things i get up to for recreation...! But i've never consciously taken drugs, have perhaps a couple of ciders to be sociable once or twice a year, never even tried smoking and i'm still a physical and often mental wreck in my mid forties so... meh.

• Like 1

i'm not sure i can even get properly involved in this conversation considering some of the things i get up to for recreation...! But i've never consciously taken drugs, have perhaps a couple of ciders to be sociable once or twice a year, never even tried smoking and i'm still a physical and often mental wreck in my mid forties so... meh.

To be fair though, I've never known anyone else who thinks in Assembly Language.

Any lack of clarity you may have could only be down to the confusion between Z80 and 6502 and then to muddy the soup further:

#ifdef C64

doThis

#else

doThat

#endif

You're like the Terminator :) :) :)

Nice thread, not what I was expecting.

I'm 24 and just out of grad school. I've been an avid lifter/exerciser for years through college. I make a point to to the gym at least 4 days a week after work. I eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables/plant proteins. I tend to only eat meat at dinner and I only eat whole grain bread products. Take out is rare. I get frustrated when I see people in my age group who are soft/out of shape/eating poorly/unhappy. It can be avoided with some effort. Too many people say things like "I can't" or "It's too late". It's your quality of life, you only live once. And all this is while I'm an avid fan of Atari and Sega. Nothing says you can't be nerdy, fit, and satisfied with your self at the same time.

• Like 1

I like to read a lot of 19th & early 20th century literature, and I recently stumbled upon the author, Orison Swett Marden, completely by chance. After listening to the audiobook entitled, "An Iron Will", I felt that not only did it change my lifelong perspective on a lot of things, I felt a strange feeling that the book had altered the course of my future. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, particularly for those with careers in the Information Technology field, those who have experienced extreme ups & downs in their career-path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=put0hzeiQl4

• Like 2