IGNORED

Rare Atari Centipede Cocktail

CentipedeFan

I had one, but not like this one. Monitor was more toward the center. Looks like a Tempest cabinet.

Looks like it was a Tempest converted to a Centipede. By the owner, not an Atari kit.

Atari made nearly 6,000 cocktails with 13" monitors. They also made 25 with 19" monitors offset to the side. If his has the model/serial tag proving it's original, it really is a rare item.

Personally, I'd rather have the 13" version...they look nicer and it's what everyone remembers playing.

Edit:

Noticed he has the tag pictured in the auction and the model # does indicate a Centipede.

Edited by Turbo-Torch

Yes, the cabinet style is that of a Tempest but Atari never released a conversion kit for those who wanted to switch a Tempest to a Centipede. Anyone who actually converted them did it on their own creativity and talent. (Goodluck ever finding a reproduction or even a picture of the original Top Art, Ive yet to) Atari produced 25 of these cabinets in the Offset Tempest style cabinet and each one included a plaque with the centipede model # and a serial number #s 1-25. This was not a conversion as the picture of the plaque clearly indicates, this was an original.

This cab has been floating around for sale in Florida for years.

It's cool, it's rare.. but unless you are in the market for a cocktail centipede nobody is really going to pay a premium for it.

Rarity doesn't always equal value in arcade machines.

Here's a pretty rare Centipede cocktail. Only ever saw this in the original flyer. With only 25 produced it's pretty hard to even see one of these much less get an opportunity to own one. Check it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291776269240?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I sold mine like this for $600 a few years ago...

• 2 weeks later...