IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

Another set of achievements with several near-impossibles... not that it REALLY matters, but it'd be nice to be able to unlock more than I will.

i've been looking over the games,

and since i don't know most of them.

at least the ones that aren't remakes, like the 5200 ones...

are there certain games that will really be that hard.

i think the challenge is part of the appeal, at least for achievement hunters.

if you want easy, most of the neo geo games can be done quickly and easily (not all though).

i'm glad atari didn't take the cheap and easy way out.

too bad they didn't break up the achievements to cover more games.

later

• 3 weeks later...

Any word if the arcade games with vertical orientation will be rotatable in this? Especially with the flip grip coming out for the Switch, playing them with the proper aspect ratio sounds awesome.

I only have the PS4 and Xbox One versions of 1 - 3 at the moment, but I'd be shocked if the dev team didn't implement such an obvious feature, especially since most other arcade collections do exactly that. They're obviously quite thorough.

Any idea when we'll hear about a release date for Volume 3 and the combined Switch counterpart?

I'm afraid not. All I get is "later this year" still. I've had volume 3 on my Xbox One and PS4 for quite some time for testing, so I know those are good to go, but I don't know anything about the Switch version yet.

I'm not really an achievement kind of guy, but for my favorite games I like to get all the non-multiplayer achievements. Unfortunately that will never happen with these games. I did get the one for scoring 300,000 in Yars' Revenge, but the other three are impossible. I think I might actually not buy this game because of the difficulty in the achievements.

• Like 1

I'm not really an achievement kind of guy, but for my favorite games I like to get all the non-multiplayer achievements. Unfortunately that will never happen with these games. I did get the one for scoring 300,000 in Yars' Revenge, but the other three are impossible. I think I might actually not buy this game because of the difficulty in the achievements.

i don't have all the achievements either, but i like the challenge, they are not 'impossible', they just take practice and patience. people have got them on the xbox one.

not getting a compilation because you don't like the achievements is odd, since they don't really amount to anything, and you're not an 'achievement type of guy'.

you're the one that will be missing out on playing the games, as most of them haven't appeared on any current console before.

later

Edited by negative1

Last I looked months ago, nobody had gotten 100% achievement/trophy completion in either game. I'm not so sure that's good achievement design. I'm not against a challenge and while I'm not a nut for these virtual trophies like some people are, a good gamer should at least stand a reasonable chance at accomplishing 100% with some dedication and a decent level of skill.

Perhaps people aren't trying hard enough, but I suspect more doable goals would only be advantageous to the bottom line for AtGames. A challenge is great, but for the many mere mortals out there, something like level 19 in arcade Missile Command is a pretty tall order (Especially with crippled control without a track-ball).

It's a turn-off for some people and factors into their purchasing decision.

According to psnprofiles, there are some people with the platinum for each game on PS4. (Some of them are probably trophy hackers though) The site rates Missile Command level 19 as the rarest/most difficult trophy in either game.

I have 2 trophies left to get for Vol. 1 and 6 left for Vol. 2. I don't think any of them are impossible, but I got sick of playing Star Ship's warp drive mode over and over just waiting for a random streak of lucky dodges.

• Like 1

Last I looked months ago, nobody had gotten 100% achievement/trophy completion in either game. I'm not so sure that's good achievement design. I'm not against a challenge and while I'm not a nut for these virtual trophies like some people are, a good gamer should at least stand a reasonable chance at accomplishing 100% with some dedication and a decent level of skill.

Perhaps people aren't trying hard enough, but I suspect more doable goals would only be advantageous to the bottom line for AtGames. A challenge is great, but for the many mere mortals out there, something like level 19 in arcade Missile Command is a pretty tall order (Especially with crippled control without a track-ball).

It's a turn-off for some people and factors into their purchasing decision.

i'm not sure where you are looking :

3 people have finished volume 1:

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Atari-Flashback-Classics-Vol-1/completionists

1 person has finished volume 2:

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Atari-Flashback-Classics-Vol-2/completionists

people usually play these games when they come out for awhile, and quit as they move onto other ones.

i'm still playing them, however, i would rather have the leaderboards working. as they don't seem to track

high scores for me anymore.

later

As I said, "last I looked months ago". I don't quite know anyway why four people having made it really disproves that they're too hard.

I don't have any personal stake in this since I don't put much stock in these virtual trophies, but I'll leave it with this. If they were my projects, I'd avoid extremely difficult achievements. I'd have some appropriately difficult ones like the Smash TV achievement in Midway Arcade Origins since classic videogame fans appreciate challenges and that segment should be catered to rather than handing them out for merely pressing the start button, but I'd also make 100% completion a realistic goal for a reasonably skilled classic gaming fan with a bit of dedication.

I realize these matter a surprising amount to many gamers and wouldn't want to discourage them from a purchase with achievements like that Missile Command one that perhaps go well past the difficulty of that Smash TV achievement that was doable for many with a lot of practice. Their $30 at the end of the day is worth as much as it is from someone like me that happily buys these despite knowing that some achievements probably are out of my reach.

Edited by Atariboy

As I said, "last I looked months ago". I don't quite know anyway why four people having made it really disproves that they're too hard.

there's other tough games out there that are harder that have similar numbers.

it both cases, there's only 2-3 really really hard achievements, and the fact you don't really care about achievements,

means you probably don't 100% your games anyways.

unless you're an achievement hunter, and retro game fan. these requirements aren't going to stop anyone from buying

them, if you actually want to enjoy the games.

i know i will.

later

I 100% many games and I do enjoy a bit of achievement/trophy hunting when it's fun.

It's just that my gaming experience doesn't begin and end with collecting these digital trophies. How they're setup doesn't factor into my purchasing decisions, I don't find myself avoiding platforms without achievements/trophies since I'm so addicted to those that it's just not fun without one popping up every once in a while, etc.

I think what woke me up was Dirt 2 on the Xbox 360. I had a lot of fun getting 100% achievement completion in earlier Codemasters racers, but there was a multiplayer experience achievement that meant I had to spend 10-15 hours on Xbox Live with people that can't drive if their life depended on it.

Wasn't fun, but I did it. And I gained nothing for it, so since then I've changed. I'll play a game normally and if I'm still having fun when I'm done, I'll go hunting for achievements that I missed to extend the experience. But I don't suffer through for them anymore when the point of videogames are to enjoy yourself.

Nobody cares if I wasted 20 hours racing Dirt 3 online and getting wrecked left and right, so that achievement happily remains unearned in a game I otherwise unlocked every achievement on, since it simply wouldn't of been fun for me to chase.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

psnprofiles has added a trophy list for a Vita version. Looks like it includes games from all three volumes. Any release info on this? I assume it'll be digital only...

Interesting. It's not on my list, so we're not doing a physical release at AtGames (AtGames publishes the physical versions and Atari the digital). I'm skeptical that Atari would be doing a digital-only release for the Vita, especially at this point in the platform's life (pretty much off the market). We'll have six Atari-partnered software products available this year (will have a press release consolidating everything soon), but you pretty much know what they all are anyway.

Given the unique set of trophies, I assume this unannounced Vita version is real rather than a mistake like has happened in the past (Both Volumes 1 & 2 were marked as PS4/Vita compatible at one time on the Playstation Store, which obviously was an error).

I wonder what the story is here, since it does seem peculiar at this stage in the Vita's lifespan.

Edited by Atariboy

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/atari-flashback-classics-vol-3/bqzxbczxhhmp?ocid=periscope&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Found it in the store online, but when I tried to search from the Xbox One itself it didn't pull up anything except for Vol 1 and 2. Weird.

Edited by moycon
  • Like 1

Seems to be a lot of sports titles in this one. Oh how I loath sports titles. Although I do remember getting into M Networks Football with my father back in the day.

The truth is, I didn't even think we could do a third volume. These really are all that remain left to utilize Atari-wise, which is why we have the enthusiast's addition of Atari 5200 stuff, and, for the first time, third party stuff. It will definitely be an interesting marketplace experiment.

• Like 1