Photo

Upcoming Jaguar SD Cartridge

1562 replies to this topic

#1451 jericho_21 OFFLINE  

jericho_21

Chopper Commander

• 171 posts

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2018 7:34 PM

There was barely even electricity in most of the residential "homes" My friend's place we stayed at, they had a generator that runs on regular gasoline and gas was well over $4 US dollars a gallon. They only ran it when it got dark outside and you couldn't see. And I will say this, my friend's parents were fairly "well off" compared to the average person there and that was a huge, expensive luxury that generator they own that the average folk there would never be able to afford. And it wasn't very stable, there was constantly short little power surges lasting from a  second to a couple minutes, which would make playing a video game or watching TV or a DVD/Blu-Ray just about impossible.

Their wall outlets were a combination of the US and Europe style outlets, meaning you could plug either a US electronic or European electronic device into them, which was pretty neat. We went into a small little electronic store in downtown Monrovia, they just had a combination of random electronics imported from both Europe and the USA. I saw a cheapy Philips dvd player that would cost you like $20-30 in the USA, they had it priced at $90. The stuff they had was astronomically expensive, which i'm sure is because of how expensive it is to import stuff there.

I can say this, in an extremely poor third world country like Liberia, everything you take for granted in a place like the USA, a lot of the people just simply don't have these things, or they're quite scarce and/or expensive.

I can understand electronics being expensive over there. The Liberian dollar is only worth USD$.0065. That is sixty-five ten-thousandths of a US cent in value compared to the US dollar. No wonder it is expensive. Unfortunately. Thanks for letting me share.

#1452 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 974 posts

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2018 3:05 AM

Any updates? Take your time though SainT, you're a busy person! :)

The weather is getting worse and we're heading toward autumn, and the kids and going back to school shortly. So things will pick up again in the next couple of weeks. I'm feeling very enthusiastic about getting stuck into the Jag again after a break! :D

#1453 Gummy Bear OFFLINE  

Gummy Bear

Dragonstomper

• 621 posts

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2018 3:11 AM

Yaaay! Good news indeed :)

#1454 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,263 posts

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2018 11:58 AM

The weather is getting worse and we're heading toward autumn, and the kids and going back to school shortly. So things will pick up again in the next couple of weeks. I'm feeling very enthusiastic about getting stuck into the Jag again after a break! :D

Maybe I can try a Jedi mind trick on you.
*waves hand* The jag is what you're working on...

Really looking forward to this!
As a side note, got a new SCART cable with the resistor... apparently it doesn't work... but with my old one fired up Tempest 2000 with the Rotary controller. Man that takes some getting used to!

#1455 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 3,003 posts

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2018 11:59 AM

Blahhh, to heck with that feline, time for the 7800!

#1456 jericho_21 OFFLINE  

jericho_21

Chopper Commander

• 171 posts

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2018 8:09 PM

"Take your time, hurry up, the choice is yours; just don't be late."

Kurt Cobain actually got that one down pat with Nirvana in that song lyric. :)

But, seriously, it is getting done, and will take some time. I will be patient. But, I would love to get one of those carts for my Jaguar. It will get done soon. I have faith in that. Thanks for letting me share.

#1457 JagChris OFFLINE  

JagChris

River Patroller

• 3,577 posts

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2018 9:51 PM

SainT I have some CD test backup files. The latest 2/9/95.

Do you need those?

#1458 Jaymiester OFFLINE  

Jaymiester

Moonsweeper

• 497 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 2:03 PM

Hello....

Is there anybody in here?

Just type if you can hear me,

Is there anyone at home?

This thread has been really quiet....making me uncomfortably numb.

#1459 djones60 OFFLINE  

djones60

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 2:22 PM

Shhhhh.  We are all asleep.  Don't wake us :P

#1460 djones60 OFFLINE  

djones60

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 2:23 PM

Check this out -> https://twitter.com/TheRetroHQ

#1461 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,263 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 2:41 PM

Check this out -> https://twitter.com/TheRetroHQ

Pretty!

#1462 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 974 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 3:07 PM

Sorry, yes, I do my small updates on twitter, as it seems the most appropriate place! But to recap... :)

I've made some good progress over the last couple of weeks, tidying up lose ends such as the firmware updating mechanism for the microcontroller and also the hardware configuration bitstream, so its fully updatable from the SD card.

I've also more or less finalised the look of the menu, and have that functional in a basic state now. I need to get the box art and screenshots as part of a custom rom image format so they can be displayed alongside the game on the menu. I'll keep the format expandable so I can add other things in there if needed, although I'm not sure what else above box art and screen shot would be required. Not sure if I'll have the savegames in the rom image file or as a separate file, yet...

Anyway, all going well. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• JagSDMenu.png

#1463 Jaymiester OFFLINE  

Jaymiester

Moonsweeper

• 497 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 3:20 PM

Looks great! Especially the inclusion of the CD-Rom tab :)

#1464 Gummy Bear OFFLINE  

Gummy Bear

Dragonstomper

• 621 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 3:23 PM

Looks awesome, man!
Can't wait for this. :)

#1465 swapd0 ONLINE  

swapd0

Moonsweeper

• 269 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 3:26 PM

What is "CARTRDIGES"?  :grin:

#1466 Hastor OFFLINE  

Hastor

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 3:26 PM

Hmm, haven't kept up with all the small updates, but with CD-ROM on the menu, how actively is that being investigated? Last I understood it was on the far back burner. I'll get one either way but this would be huge in many ways, as even those who have the drive and every game will have it die someday. Totally understandable if it isn't a sure thing, I'm just wondering if any progress was made.

Even if it only loaded the game properly 1/5 times, I'd take the CD-ROM support lol.

#1467 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 974 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 4:03 PM

I've done a LOT of work on the CD emulation already, the sticking point has been the Jaguar just being mental and the RISC chips hanging and resetting themselves for no good reason. I stopped work on this for fear of vanishing down a rabbit hole never to be seen again, and moved to actaully getting the thing finished as a ROM simulator, which is very close now. Once I have some test units out there with people actively testing the ROM functionality I can move back to the CD again and get feedback from multiple units, not just mine.

#1468 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 974 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 4:06 PM

What is "CARTRDIGES"?  :grin:

It's a common word 'round these parts! Next you'll be telling me you don't know the meaning of frasmotic or pericombobulation. Tsk.

#1469 jericho_21 OFFLINE  

jericho_21

Chopper Commander

• 171 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 4:17 PM

It's really great that everything is moving along well for you, SainT. I know that are things that still need work. Keep up the great work. Thanks. :)

#1470 bbuchholtz OFFLINE  

bbuchholtz

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 5:34 PM

This looks great! Can't tell you how excited I am about the progress you made :D

-Brian

#1471 moggsie OFFLINE  

moggsie

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 3:07 PM

It's a common word 'round these parts! Next you'll be telling me you don't know the meaning of frasmotic or pericombobulation. Tsk.

Excellent work SainT. As someone who hails from round these parts may I be the first to offer my Contrafibularities.

#1472 jericho_21 OFFLINE  

jericho_21

Chopper Commander

• 171 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 3:26 PM

Hmm, haven't kept up with all the small updates, but with CD-ROM on the menu, how actively is that being investigated? Last I understood it was on the far back burner. I'll get one either way but this would be huge in many ways, as even those who have the drive and every game will have it die someday. Totally understandable if it isn't a sure thing, I'm just wondering if any progress was made.

Even if it only loaded the game properly 1/5 times, I'd take the CD-ROM support lol.

Hey, if it means not loading CDs into the Jaguar itself, that is OK with me as well. But, I understand that there is now at least partial CD emulation. That tells me it just needs to be fine-tuned, that's all. This is research and development, so I know it takes time. But, nevertheless, I feel pleased about how the project has come this far into fruition. I like the work. I can see how it will benefit Jaguar collectors. I intend to keep my Jaguar CD units (and I have two), but an SD cartridge, when it is fully developed with the CD emulation (I speak VERY optimistically, of course, because I believe by hook or by crook that will happen), and if I can afford it, then it would be like CDs on a cart. Because, obviously, that is what it will be. That, itself, is what makes me so excited about this project and how far it has advanced and will advance in the future. So, again, thanks for your awesome efforts, SainT. :)

#1473 Atari Nut OFFLINE  

Atari Nut

Moonsweeper

• 263 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 3:44 PM

Looks great.  Really looking forward to this.

#1474 Pink OFFLINE  

Pink

Moonsweeper

• 306 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 4:14 PM

I didn't know you were updating on twitter! That is so cool!!! Some really great updates so far!

Is there a way to update the first post of the thread or something and put a link to your Twitter there as well so people seeing this for the first time know to look there for updates as well?

#1475 Krip316 OFFLINE  

Krip316

Moonsweeper

• 269 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 9:30 PM

This project is literally the only reason why I just joined Twitter.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users