IGNORED

What happened to the Sega Saturn mod chips?

I'll be sure to grab some popcorn if he ever starts making one for the PCE or PS1 or Sega CD.

He's developing one for the PCE as we speak. PS1 has an ODE already, PSIO. I have no interest in it, but sounds like availability is even more questionable than the GDEMU guy's stuff.

Heard nothing for SEGA CD.

As for too much time trying to get a Rhea/Phoebe. That's not that bad in the grand scheme. check his site on your phone over the day they go on sale one weekend. That only happens every few months. Compared to the time collectors spend scouring ebay and message board sales for games, refreshing the gdemu page over that one day is practically nothing

Edited by keepdreamin

The Saturn itself is probably the last thing I am acquiring for quite awhile aside from a few choice games (ones that are not that expensive). I won't even go there for the moment as I am way over budget.

If that person is doing this as a hobby though... as long as he isn't taking money before he can release the next batch.. don't see why people need to be hostile. I haven't read the posts, but if people are being rude, I would have stopped bothering a long time ago.

For the Mega CD, there are BIOS chips to replace, and also, flash carts can have the function to load a Mega CD BIOS and play the games from any region.

That's not what we're talking about. I know you can boot different CD bios off the everdrive. We're talking about a complete replacement for the CD drive, and loading disc images off either SD or USB storage.

Edited by keepdreamin

For those of you who do want a GDEMU, Rhea, or Phoebe, I suggest you occasionally check the Ordering page on the site. I did that a few weeks ago, even though there was no announcement about orders being open, and I was able to order a Phoebe. I've had it a little over a week now, and I love it.

If you're worried about installation, I recommend checking the installation page to see what's involved. My Phoebe didn't require any soldering, until I moved it from a type 3 Saturn to a type 4 Saturn (as described on the GDEMU site). To make that change, I only had to desolder one jumper.

I never tried to buy the Rhea or phoebe, but I've been very happy with my GDEmu. I highly recommend using the gdmenu because I'm not a big fan of pushing the button to change between games. I was also lucky enough to get in on the past pre-order batch of the PSIO. I'm looking forward to trying that one out when I get it.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm kinda holding out for that MPEG slot flash cart that's been on the YouTube. I've got a Action Replay Plus flashed with Pseudo Saturn (did it with the disc swap trick and haven't swapped a disc since). Would much rather load from an SD card and save the wear on the laser. I literally don't care what it costs (as long as it's under $300 or so, anyway...then I'll care, but I'll probably pony up anyway).

• Like 1

ooh, I remember that. It does appear to be the most elegant solution. Plugging in cartridges is always better than soldering and screwdrivering.

The Rhea+Phoebe install takes a few minutes, and is completely reversible in the same time frame. They also retain the full functionality of the Saturn and its accessories. Which means you could pop in a MPEG card and watch VCD rips, and games that feature enhanced video still work. The card slot drive emulator will lose all MPEG functionality (most folks won't care).

What I don't get is the folks who complain about removing the CD drive with the Rhea+Phoebe, but want the card slot ODE. The whole point of an ODE is to NOT use CD's anymore. So you're complaining about the removing the drive you're NOT going to be using? :ponder: That would be like buying an EFI kit for a classic car and whining that you have remove the carbs.

Edited by keepdreamin

Oh I wouldn't complain about Rhea causing me to yank my drive, for sure, but they're rare like hen's teeth. I keep looking once in a while (since I have a 20-pin Saturn) but the preorders are basically never open. If Professor Abrasive comes up with something I can actually buy first I'll jump on that. Either way.

• 2 months later...

There is this chip, btw. I don't know much about it.

https://www.r43ds.org/products/Phantom-Universal-Sega-Saturn-Modchip.html

I've ordered 4 of the saturn modchips from there (2 for me and 2 for brother and cousin) and every one of the has worked just fine. They ship from the the US as well so delivery was 3 or 4 days each time. I ended up also getting an action replay 4 in 1 as initially I though that the saturn modchip let me play import and backup but it was only backups so for import titles I still needed the AR 4in1

• 5 months later...

There is this chip, btw. I don't know much about it.

https://www.r43ds.org/products/Phantom-Universal-Sega-Saturn-Modchip.html

Orders from them 3 times, 2 of them were Saturn modchips, one was an Saturn action replay, never had any problems. They shipped from NY, so I got it in 4 days in Arizona.

Edit: Feeling a bit stupid, didn't realize the thread was months and months old. Sorry!!!!

Edited by 8bitgame