IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Yes, all existing issues with all the products and then some will be put to bed in 2017. Of course, I can't promise that there won't be new issues that crop up, but at least they'll be different issues, so the issues should be far less boring next year. ;-)

Bill,

It's posts like this that make me very glad you exist! To put a fine point on it...I feel I owe you a beer or something!...Keep on Keepin' on OK?

So Everybody...

I just had a weird thought ...A random event popping into my head for but a brief second.

Like one of those strange falling out of bed on your way to get coffee thoughts that usually disappear into the ether or that maybe you don't want to post because they make no sense...but then every once in a while you do anyway...

So Imagine today you are given a choice...

Buy an Atari Flashback Portable

or

Hit yourself in the head with a hammer

I do hope everyone makes the right choice!

Thanks for putting up with me LOL!

A little OT, but it sounds like there's a lot of familiarity with the Genesis portable here. Anyone know a good source for that now? BB&B only carries the Atari portable and the Genesis TV console, and now I'm looking for a Genesis portable to go alongside it for Xmas. Online it looks like it's tough to get one for less than $50 (which isn't bad, I guess, but now I've been spoiled with 500+ Atari games in my hand for around $35!

I could swear I saw some of those at Target about 3 weeks ago...At very least it's worth a phone call or a quick trip if you're going there anyway...

So Everybody...

I just had a weird thought ...A random event popping into my head for but a brief second.

Like one of those strange falling out of bed on your way to get coffee thoughts that usually disappear into the ether or that maybe you don't want to post because they make no sense...but then every once in a while you do anyway...

So Imagine today you are given a choice...

Buy an Atari Flashback Portable

or

Hit yourself in the head with a hammer

I do hope everyone makes the right choice!

Thanks for putting up with me LOL!

They got the portables out now. Do I still get whacked if I picked up the Pacman and Space Invaders Mini LCD games instead? They had an entire end display of those at BBB. My fiance and I went there to shop for gifts and I got the mini LCD arcades for myself. They're currently being held hostage at her apartment... ;-)

• Like 2

They got the portables out now. Do I still get whacked if I picked up the Pacman and Space Invaders Mini LCD games instead? They had an entire end display of those at BBB. My fiance and I went there to shop for gifts and I got the mini LCD arcades for myself. They're currently being held hostage at her apartment... ;-)

I wouldn't mind one two of those myself!

Low on money though...They'll have to wait...

• Like 1

Random suggestions for future versions:

Maybe do a Activision branded version with all of their 2600 games on it.

A slightly more upscale version with HDMI out, Joystick ports (for 2 player and non-joystick games), included A/C adapter, improved emulation, and throw a little woodgrain on it.

Since this is my wish list, might as well have the improved wireless joysticks rumored for next year also.

I might do away with the standalone and merge it into the portable.

According to Bill, they are doing away with those awful wireless joysticks and going back to the wired ones thankfully!

Not according to Bill. According to Bill, they'll be doing "proper wireless" controllers for 2017. Wired controller ports won't be going away, though.

Also, lots of speculation about Konami, Activision, etc. All I can say is wait and see for the 2017 announcements. There will be quite a few interesting things around hardware and software. Several partnerships will be expanded and there will be new or renewed partnerships. It's going to be a good year if everything works out the way it looks like it's going to work out.

• Like 6

There have been questions on if the Pre-production and production models are physically different. The answer is: Yes. At least I have observed differences.

The video is slightly different. In the picture below you see the demo "Doctor" which on the pre-production models would display the text at the bottom. On this production model you cannot read the text that scrolls by. I will keep an eye out for other comparisons but this is the first one very noticeable.

post-4709-0-04301200-1481118223_thumb.png

The sound does sound a bit more a bit more tinny. I noticed this especially in Pac-man2600 8K.

Still a very enjoyable unit, but if you can score a pre-production model, maybe slightly better made.

I figured the pre-production model would've had a few kinks that the later revision didn't, not the other way around =|

Of course, I can't promise that there won't be new issues that crop up, but at least they'll be different issues, so the issues should be far less boring next year. ;-)

Well if they really are dropping composite video support, there's one new issue right there.

• Like 1

Well if they really are dropping composite video support, there's one new issue right there.

Actually, against my advice, it looks like there will be standard tier systems and premium tier systems, so all is not lost for those who for some (insane to me) reason prefer composite. Either way, it will still be updated hardware inside.

There have been questions on if the Pre-production and production models are physically different. The answer is: Yes. At least I have observed differences.

The video is slightly different. In the picture below you see the demo "Doctor" which on the pre-production models would display the text at the bottom. On this production model you cannot read the text that scrolls by. I will keep an eye out for other comparisons but this is the first one very noticeable.

The sound does sound a bit more a bit more tinny. I noticed this especially in Pac-man2600 8K.

Still a very enjoyable unit, but if you can score a pre-production model, maybe slightly better made.

That could just be simple manufacturing tolerances. There were not supposed to be any hardware tweaks pre- and production. The only possibility was emulator tweaks, but I'm not aware of any noticeable differences.

Don't have one so I have no clue how it is set up. Has anyone tried or is there any hidden games like with the regular flashbacks?

Those hidden paddle games were on Flashback 2, which was from a different company than AtGames. You'd move the joystick in a "1977" pattern (one up, nine down, etc) to unlock a secret menu. I don't think that exists on this unit.

But who cares, there's SD card support!

• Like 2

Over the weekend I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and snagged one of these with the 20% off coupon. They had them in a huge pile on a display table along with the Genesis and Flashback 7. I loaded the games up on a 512mb SD I found kicking around the house, and yeah, this thing is pretty cool.

And may I add that I've never played the Pac Man 8K rom before. It's probably the most impressive 2600 game I've played!

Games I've been playing the most:

-Asteroids

-Frogger

-Cosmic Ark

-H.E.R.O.

-Pac Man 8K

-Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator

-Dragster

-Enduro

-Gorf

I'm hoping the SD slot makes its way to the Flashback TV consoles. That would be pretty cool.

• Like 3

Not according to Bill. According to Bill, they'll be doing "proper wireless" controllers for 2017. Wired controller ports won't be going away, though.

Also, lots of speculation about Konami, Activision, etc. All I can say is wait and see for the 2017 announcements. There will be quite a few interesting things around hardware and software. Several partnerships will be expanded and there will be new or renewed partnerships. It's going to be a good year if everything works out the way it looks like it's going to work out.

Sorry, I thought you had said the wireless ones were being scrapped. My bad.

Sorry, I thought you had said the wireless ones were being scrapped. My bad.

I understand the confusion because I definitely said the IR wireless was being scrapped in favor of proper wireless. Of course, I also try to speak carefully so as not to reveal too much, so that doesn't help things either.

• Like 2

Yes. The many libraries and APIs..

I've had experience with both real hardware and software emulation. It's the accouterments and window dressing offered by emulation that one misses when returning to real hardware.

But it is really fantastic to see the general buying public actually prefer emulation and some of that window dressing - like savestates and pause and ROMS on SD. Not forgetting the improved image quality/consistency either.