IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Wow, didn’t see this coming. It looks like a pretty cool product, even if the usual “Flashback caveats” apply, i.e., good for impulse buy and quick nostalgia fix, maybe more ideal for casual dabblers than it is for retro gaming aficionados, etc.

Kinda ...but it looks as though they future-proofed this a little bit by using HDMI instead of AV cables (yay) and their Wii/Wii U controller cable standard hookup instead of something entirely new.

This is going to sell like gangbusters. AtGames is lucky they have some portable Flashback systems in the pipe this year to differentiate their stuff from this (of course, Nintendo did portable first, with their handhelds). Nintendo's going to create a lot of buzz, maybe AtGames can ride on some of the coattails with its Atari and Sega offerings.

I don't "need" this but I kinda-sorta want it, even though I have most of my favorites from the game list in other places.

• Like 2

I'm amazed at the list of games. This thing is definitely not for me but it's exciting to see Nintendo show a new strategy. They are probably trying to get this thrown in with Pokemon Go in the news cycle to generate more interest. It's the first smart marketing move I've seen them make in awhile.

• Like 2

A fairly reputable Canadian site says $79.99 in Canada. http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/07/14/nintendo-reveals-retro-miniature-nes-with-30-built-in-games/

Not a bad guess on my part (I know, self aggrandizing isn't socially acceptable). $80 still isn't too shabby for this, so it's still going to have a home in my entertainment unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Nintendo should have known better then to not include a cartridge slot, and that ticks me off. They have to know that at least some of the people who will buy this have NES games. I'd save my money for the Retrousb AVS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$185 for the AVS vs $60 for this, plus the AVS has no built-in games. They're not even competing for the same market segment.

Nintendo is creating a Flashback, basically. The point isn't really to have a cartridge slot and play all NES games, the idea is to have a cheap, simple unit that plays a curated list of great games that most people will remember. The AVS is designed for people that really care about NES gaming, so to shit on Nintendo for not adding features that go beyond the point of the console is a head scratcher.

Each feature = more money, so if they added all the features people want (cart slot, SD card slot, espresso maker) they'd end up with a $150 console that people would complain is too expensive.

• Like 5

Pretty solid game selection with some of the expected classics and predictable filler, but a surprising number of licensed titles.

A couple of choices are odd, though.

I'd think Dragon Warrior would be more iconic than Final Fantasy, but FF was probably chosen because it's seen as a more marketable name, and it gives Square/Enix another chance to whore out that title.

I don't like the original NES Double Dragon, but it's odd to see them use the much less talked about second installment instead of the original which everyone remembers.

SuperC is another odd one. Why not regular Contra which everyone remembers and loves?

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest seems like a very odd choice. I have a feeling the only reason it is included is because of the infamy the game has due to AVGN.

Notable by it's absence is Tetris. Personally, I think Lifeforce should replace Castlevania II, but whatever.

Other than those nits, it's a very strong game line up for something like this. Most of your iconics are hit, and even the others are better than average filler.

• Like 1

Kinda ...but it looks as though they future-proofed this a little bit by using HDMI instead of AV cables (yay) and their Wii/Wii U controller cable standard hookup instead of something entirely new.

This is going to sell like gangbusters. AtGames is lucky they have some portable Flashback systems in the pipe this year to differentiate their stuff from this (of course, Nintendo did portable first, with their handhelds). Nintendo's going to create a lot of buzz, maybe AtGames can ride on some of the coattails with its Atari and Sega offerings.

I agree that it should help AtGames to a degree because it helps to further validate the category and should have at least some halo effect. Where it will really help is that if this sells like we expect - in the millions with trouble keeping it in stock - which will validate to retailers the higher $60 price tier and allow other companies like AtGames to release products at that same price point. There's a LOT AtGames could do with an extra $20+ to play with. That's why competition in more niche areas, particularly from companies with deep, deep pockets, can sometimes be a positive.

• Like 6

$185 for the AVS vs $60 for this, plus the AVS has no built-in games. They're not even competing for the same market segment.

Nintendo is creating a Flashback, basically. The point isn't really to have a cartridge slot and play all NES games, the idea is to have a cheap, simple unit that plays a curated list of great games that most people will remember. The AVS is designed for people that really care about NES gaming, so to shit on Nintendo for not adding features that go beyond the point of the console is a head scratcher.

Each feature = more money, so if they added all the features people want (cart slot, SD card slot, espresso maker) they'd end up with a $150 console that people would complain is too expensive.

I'm not hating on this console, first of all. Given how protective Nintendo are with their IPs, they'd never add an SD card slot so that people could download NES roms and play them on this console. Regardless of markets, I seriously doubt that it would have cost Nintendo that much more money to make this thing larger and include a cartridge slot. Nintendo's rolling in money, partly do to the phenomenal success of Pokemon Go.

This is going to sell like gangbusters.

This is going to be THE hot item this Christmas. If you want one, your window to get it is going to be from Release Day until Black Friday. After that, you're in Tickle-Me-Elmo levels of insanity.

• Like 1

I agree that it should help AtGames to a degree because it helps to further validate the category and should have at least some halo effect. Where it will really help is that if this sells like we expect - in the millions with trouble keeping it in stock - which will validate to retailers the higher $60 price tier and allow other companies like AtGames to release products at that same price point. There's a LOT AtGames could do with an extra $20+ to play with. That's why competition in more niche areas, particularly from companies with deep, deep pockets, can sometimes be a positive.

But the Atari games have been in how many different packages now? Asking another $20 for the same games could be tough. Would HDMI be enough? SD slot?

I just don't know why Nintendo made it with HDMI out, Not Composite Out

It will look like crap

Obviously you've never seen emulation-based consoles and how glorious older games like the ones on the NES can look over HDMI. Composite out really only works well with old TVs. If you have an old TV, then you can use an original NES without issue. You really don't want to use anything but HDMI (or maybe component or VGA if they even have those ports) on modern TVs. They just don't do well with it.

• Like 2

But the Atari games have been in how many different packages now? Asking another $20 for the same games could be tough. Would HDMI be enough? SD slot?

Yes, I do think HDMI, among other improvements and feature adds, would still sell well even at $50 - $60 versus $25 - $40. Even for retro-centric products, it's high time to leave legacy technology behind.

• Like 6

Yeah, this week. They didn't just design this mini NES yesterday.

I know that, but they weren't doing bad before that. I think the picture on this will look fantastic! Nintendo knows how to build quality hardware; if it was anyone else making this then I'd be concerned. I wonder which retailers are going to sell this? They're going to go like hotcakes this holiday shopping season.

Any thoughts on this helping to push down the prices on the cartridge versions of those 30 games? I see a lot of games on that list I would love to own for the real hardware but refuse to pay reseller prices.

Unlikely. There have been a million ways to play those games already. I don't think the two markets have much cross-over, if any, other than collectors/hardcore players picking up the TV game console.

• Like 1