IGNORED

Overrated and Underrated Atari Games

Mind Master

OVER:

Yar's Revenge. I don't "get" it. Maybe I should read the instructions, so I can figure out what the hell's going on.

UNDER:

E.T. I had a lot of fun with the game when I was a kid... don't understand why other people hate it so much.

Galaxian. Ditto. I think it's a fun shooter with good graphics and sound.

Phoenix. (see Galaxian)

Defender. Sure it doesn't look exactly the same as the arcade... but what Atari game does? I loved this game just as much as I loved Space Invaders or Berzerk.

Seeing Yar's Revenge and Kaboom listed as overrated makes me feel less guility about mine :)

Overratted: Adventure

-Never got into as a kid and still can't play it for more than 5 minutes without being really bored.

Underrated: BMX Airmaster

-Excellent graphics and gameplay, late release that's easy to overlook for its playability. Reminds me of the Tony Hawk games.

• Like 1

Overrated: Pitfall! I can't deny how influential it was, and it certainly isn't a bad game. However, it's very repetitive and not particularly challenging (unless you're going for a perfect score, of course.)

Underrated: Eggomania. The standard line on this gem is that it's a ripoff of Kaboom! However, I'm not even sure that Kaboom! came out first (did it?) Also, while Eggomania never gets as insanely difficult as Kaboom! I can assure you that it is also extremely challenging when you make it to the highest level. Eggomania's graphics are comparable to Kaboom's, and I think Eggomania's sound effects and music are much better.

--Jason

OVER:  

Yar's Revenge.  I don't "get" it.  Maybe I should read the instructions, so I can figure out what the hell's going on.

Yes, you definitely should. I just did it last weekend and it changed a lot :)

OVER

Atlantis (nice graphics, but very repetitive)

UNDER

Night Driver (ultra challenging, simple fun)

Sky Jinks (I just love it)

• Like 1

Overrated: Pitfall 1. I never could get into it. P2 is much better

Underrated:

Reactor. Graphicly, it stinks. Play? ery addicting.

Buck Rogers. I don't care what people say, this is one challenging game!

Tac-Scan. This one can get very challenging at later levels.

Dodge 'em. A great Pac-Man type game.

Canyon Bomber. I dunno. Just always liked it.

Human Cannonball and Sky Diver. Who here dosen't like watching people go 'SPLAT'

I'd suspect anyone who says Pitfall is overrated wasn't around back in the day, when Pitfall was a wonder to behold and one of the biggest things going.

I'd be more likely to agree Pitfall 2 is overrated. Sure, great music for the 2600, but when I tried to play it - it doesn't have the gameplay factor of the original.

I also agree with Adventure being overrated. I never got into it.

For those that think Adventure is overrated then they also dont remember way back when - Limited 1 player games that challenged the imagination - I played Adventure too many times to count. Its simplicity, enjoyment and ease of play allowed repetitive play IMHO.

No other 2600 game provided as much 1 player replay value as Adventure for me.

Maz Craze is another underrated game IMHO - A very fun 2 player game. This and Dodge Em made for great fights between my brother and I :evil:

UNDER:  

Galaxian.  I think it's a fun shooter with good graphics and sound.

Yep, this was a very good port indeed.

Underrated (i. e. probably no advertising for it when it was first released, but a fair amount of people know of it on here): Tunnel Runner. Fantastic 3-D game.

Overrated: Raiders of the Lost Ark...here on this site, that is, as a lot of people said they've liked it, I just think it's weird. (And yes, I'm talking about when it first came out, not looking at it 20 years later, I thought it was weird back then!)

• Like 1

Overated:

Stampede

Underated:

Amidar

As for Yar's revenge, once you understand what the hell you're actually supposed to be doing, something goes "click" and you now see what all the hype is about, very good game.

Am I the only one who bought YR for the "not able to see screen at all" GBC? Anyone tried this on a GBA SP? If it works that alone might tempt me to buy the SP.

Wow, all the Adventure hate! :P well, it bored me when I was a kid because I liked action, but now I think it is one of the best 2600 games.

Overrated: Asteroids, Centipede. Not very fun IMO.

Underrated:

Enduro (is surely the BEST racing the 2600 could and did ever get).

Kaboom! (this is the epitome of early videogaming -- fast, brief, difficult, exciting).

Night Driver (really awesome fun, but I think you have to play it a number of times to 'get into it')

• Like 1