IGNORED

Overrated and Underrated Atari Games

Mind Master

Over-rated:

Games with bosses. Like Phoenix. I always felt that fighting the UFO at the end was lame, and would have prefered more emphasis on target practice with diving birds.

Under-rated:

Junior Pac-Man. I don't know why there are so many people who hate this game. It's my absolute favorite version of Pac-Man on a console. It's equal to the arcade in challenge, speed, and ghost AI. The guy who programmed this did a brilliant job!

theaveng-wooyayanime.gif

Actually I have thought of one more game, not to add to Overrated but to the Underrated....

Flag Capture - I can't say that I agree with an awful lot of the views expressed in the DP Guide 7 but on this one, I think that I see eye-to-eye. Flag Capture has dreadfully poor graphics and almost none-existant sound (it doesn't deserve the term "fx") but despite all this, it is a very enjoyable & engaging title. For those of you who don't own this - buy it! :D

I can't say that I agree with an awful lot of the views expressed in the DP Guide 7

That is because I am what is probably best defined as "a buffoon". It should say that in the explanation of what a Santulli Slant is, but if it doesn't that's ALSO because I'm a buffoon.

Glad you like Flag Capture, though. 8)

Underrated: HERO and Phaser Patrol

I know, everyone that's played them loves them, so why

call them underrated? Well, because not enough people

have played them I guess. HERO came out too late. Imagine

if it came out two years earlier, it would be among the

all time classics.

Phaser Patrol had graphics and gameplay that made you forget

you were using a 2600. It was as good as any C64 or PC game

at the time. But only Supercharger owners got to play it.

I guess I can add Starpath Frogger to the list for the same reasons.

Those that know it love it, but most never knew it existed.

for me it's always 2600 dragon stomper. you always hear mention of early nes rpgs when people talk about the console rpgs of today, but they never give the true propas to the grand-daddy of our modern console-style rpg, dragonstomper. And the hero is a block again :-) smaller than the adventure block thouigh :-)

Just in case you are curious, I beat the dragon without killing him, BEFORE I actually decided to beat the game BY killing him. I have a soft spot for big fire-breathing lizards, what can I say :-)

and an honorary mention to Laser Blast, I like it!

(and yea, all the supercharger are way under-rated. I love phaser patrol.)

(^ Under)

(/ Over)

Chopper Command, enjoyed it as a kid, havent played it much since. good game, just not all that.

Combat, yes fun wth two people, but it always eventually wore out for me, and for me it hasnt aged as well as many other 2600 titles

and even though I still really like Demon Attack to this day, I must admit it is nothing more than one stage of phoenix with slightly changing enemies. (obviously not such a bad thing tho :-) )

Ok, time for me to stop lurking and start posting, partiuclarly since I made the effort to get a new password - so much for remembering my old one!

In response to the overrated/underrated topic, here are my choices:

Barnstorming - way too short to justify my spending $40 on it back in the day

River Raid - liked it as a kid, but never as much as the hype told me to :)

Pitfall 2 - I really, really *want* to love this game, but the music drives me crazy!

Atlantis - never got into this one - nice graphics, but dullsville, baby!

Cosmic Ark - a decent game, but not really much there.

Underrated:

Klax - an addictive game if ever there was one. I can play this one for hours.

Spacemaster X-7 - Fast paced, addictive, great!

E.T. - loved it as a kid - played for hours.

Space Battle - Always liked this one

Bump N' Jump - very good port, IMHO

Golf - nice, relaxing game

Video Pinball - always liked it

Krull - cool adventure game. Played this for hours

Fishing Derby - good two player action

Bowling - nothing great graphically, but good nonetheless

Ok, I could go on and on about underrated games, but overall I'd have to say that the measure of a "good" game for me is A) whether or not I still suck at it after 25 years of playing it, and B) whether I keep picking that game to try it "one more time" - games like Kaboom and Stampede fall into this category for me, as well as a lot of others.

• Like 1

Welcome Elvis!

A) whether or not I still suck at it after 25 years of playing it

Hm, is is good or bad if you still suck at it?`;)

There are many games where I will probably suck at forever, but still I am always coming back to improve.

And there are many other games which even I still can beat with closed eyes and that's exactly the reason why I never play them again.

Krull - cool adventure game. Played this for hours

Ohh Krull. That game is an overlooked gem! My brother and I would have contests to see who could rack up the largest score on the wedding scene...

• Like 1

Welcome Elvis!

Hey, thanks! It pays to step out of lurking mode once in a while!

A) whether or not I still suck at it after 25 years of playing it

Hm, is is good or bad if you still suck at it?`;)

Hah! Well, it means I'm bad for sure! The fact that I keep coming back to try again means it's a good game. Somehow I never do that with modern games, even though I feel like I should since they *are* videogames after all...

And there are many other games which even I still can beat with closed eyes and that's exactly the reason why I never play them again.

What, you mean you never play Froggo's Karate just for fun? :sad:

Bryan

Overrated:Defender 2 Not much hype for it, but Ithink a couple steps below the Origonal. :|

Pitfall 1 and 2:Both very annoing,and repetitive games..... :|

Pacman:Good game,way too much hype for it though. :(

Space Invaders:There have been so many games like this,even though this is the 'origonal' one, its the worst of its kind, excluding Cokewins,which is a horrible cheap imaiation of space invaders. :roll:

Underrated:Defender:An awesome game, where missle command meets Galaga. :grin:

Pong: The first,not the best, but the first. :lol:

Missle Command:Just plain Awesome! :music:

Dragonstomper is an RPG?????  Wouldn't "adventure" be a better defintion?

Nope. Dragonstomper is an RPG. The fighting is turn-based, your character has strength and dexterity ratings that need to be built over time and multiple levels using the multi-load capability of the supercharger.

Dragonstomper is definitely underrated. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Overrated:

I can't really think of any!

Underrated:

-STAR SHIP (I can't understand how anyone can hate this game :?)

-Indy 500

-Canyon Bomber

-Combat

-Video Olympics

-Sky Diver

-Human Cannonball

-Other games that were released with the Video Computer System in its infancy.

(-and Warlords too...ULTIMATE party game!)

I love all the early VCS games because they're so primitive and stupid (I say that endearingly) that they're cool! It's games like these that got me into classic gaming (i'm only 18). I think I speak for others, also... :ponder: To me, games like these bring a certain aesthetic, like discovering something from a different time or world, or a secret treasure forgotten and hidden behind the masses of new shiny, pretty things (okay, I'm beginning to think I'm psychotic...but if anyone else can relate to that, you know how cool it is!) Of course, I don't mean to make people who remember when Atari and Odyssey were new shiny things feel old (after all, age is only relative), it's just that I'm quite removed from it, since i grew up with NES and Sega Genesis.

Personally, I think anyone who rates an Atari game based on graphics is on crack anyhow :D. Although I must admit, it is fun finding an Atari cartridge with [relatively] good graphics, since the machine wasn't designed to handle them.

Has anyone scored higher than 54 (my high score) in Star Ship? I KNOW I'm not the only one playing that game... :D

Underrated:  

-Indy 500  

We've had a few threads on Indy 500 before, just do a Search and feel free to reply to them if you want!

Underrated:  

-Sky Diver

Several people have griped about that game on here, but me and a fellow named Bad Brad like it, especially the "chicken" game (game 5)!

Oh, and you can Edit your posts (due to the age typo), but due to the "evil software" as one of the mods called it, it takes a long time for an edited post to go up...usually a good 90 seconds. Head for the fridge!

• 10 years later...

To me none were overated nor underrated, they were all ace. I never went arcade gaming ( that came later), to me the VCS was a brandnew experience and I loved all games.

Pac-Man was my favourite game, I bought the VCS mainly to play that game ( Played it before at a friends house on his VCS, it rocked).

My wife played River Raid for more than 8 hours, she managed to finish it, getting the famous !!!!!!

We played Mario Bros 2 player mode for hours until we scored 1 million.

I played the Coleco games for hours because the manual promised 'new discoveries' in the later levels (this didn't happen though).

Video Olympics was great for 2 players, Sky Diver too.

Activision games provided ace gameplay for hours, and I loved Parker Bros and Spectravideo games.

Ok some games I didn't play much, but I didn't class them as bad games, they were just different and not of my taste.

Edited by high voltage

Overrated: Nothing comes to mind.

Underrated: Tutankham: Loved this game on the 2600 when i was a kid, and still do.

Wizard of Wor: Great arcade port (miss the speech though)

Spider Fighter: Great shoot em up (not that easy to find here in oz)

Circus Atari: Great paddle game

Jawbreaker: Great pacman clone

• Like 2