IGNORED

Nes controller port frustration.... Now Power glove help!

icemanxp300

Ok really irking me right now. I have an nes toaster that the controller port 1 does wacky stuff. The select and start go on their own if you press the controller end around into the port of the system.

OK whatever bad port, loose wire? Here is the kicker take the damn thing apart and it works perfectly. Wiggle every wire possible, works perfect, hold the controller port and wiggle controller end in it and it works perfectly. WTF lol. Put it back together and boom messed up.

In case anyone is curios, I finally got it to act up while apart.. I just said to hell with this and swapped the entire port and harness from another broken system. It seems to be fine now. Must have been a very fine bad connection somewhere that was really hard to trigger unless assembled?

The controller data are encoded over one wire (along with clock and latch plus 5v and ground) so if one button seems wacky by itself, the issue may be the controller and not the port.

It did it with multiple controllers, that was the first thing I tried. At any rate swapping the controller port and wire harness fixed the problem. So it was either a bad wire or a bad pin in the port, at any rate it's not worth the time to pin-point the exact problem.

I have a new problem now that has my attention.

I have 2 power gloves(PG) and 2 sensor bars (SB). SB 1 works perfectly fine with PG 1 and PG 2. SB 2 does not work correctly with either PG 1 or PG 2. Just so we can eliminate the Power gloves themselves as being a problem.

On the SB 1 when turned on w/MTPO just the lower right led will flash quick and then it's done all lights will be off and they will flash intermittently as buttons are used.

On the SB 2 when turned on w/MTPO all lights are steady solid and stay that way and automatically start the game and punches on it's own. However if no PG is plugged into the SB 2 no lights will be on. So there is something going on causing the SB 2 to malfunction soon as a PG is plugged into it.

edit: Solved.

Ok so I reflowed all the connections and no good. So A grabbed an nes pad and pulled the cable harness out and realized the wires had slightly different colors. I then took a small piece of wire to see which holes the wires corresponded to and I found that there was no continuity from the yellow wire on the sensor bar to the controller port that goes to the system.

So I researched how to open that connector, which was pretty easy lol. Pulled the pin end outs and still no continuity on the yellow. The easiest method I thought of for repair "since I needed to use that crimped pin" was to just burn off some insulation and add solder to the bare wire and crimped pin.

Hooked it up and all is good now... well as good as you can expect from a power glove anyhow lol.

Edited by icemanxp300

• 2 weeks later...