IGNORED

Weird Power pressing Issue with NES involving Reset button

brento

So I just got a 'non-working' NES which in fact, does work, after I did some testing. Had a look at the board, didn't notice anything wrong. Pressed the power button, and it came on. Pressed it again, nothing. So I pressed the reset button, and boom, power comes on.

It seems the Power button will only work if the reset button was pushed before it. If I turn off the system with the power button, and then try turning it back on with the power button, nothing happens. But if I press the reset button, and THEN press the power button, the system comes on. Resetting the console if it is on simply resets it as normal.

Has anyone come across this before or knows of a potential solution?

Sounds like the self reset on power on isn't working. The 10NES chip is responsible for toggling reset on power on and reset button to start the CPU up in reset mode, so it'd run properly. Otherwise it may start in scrambled state and jam, resulting in nothing working.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=2405

Well, I decided to dig in further and open up the little piece of plastic that guards the mechanism which slides into place when the power button is on. I noticed the metal inside was severely corroded, so now I am guessing it must have something to do with this. Tried cleaning and fixing it, but same issue. I do have another power/reset part to test it out with. Maybe I'll do that... just to see if 7800fan's theory is correct or incorrect :)