Photo

Lot of Atari 5200 protos on ShopGoodwill...

17 replies to this topic

#1 Crimefighter OFFLINE  

Crimefighter

Dragonstomper

• 874 posts

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 2:46 PM

What the heck is Meebzork???  Doesn't look like anything new here though...

http://www.shopgoodw...ItemID=31839885

#2 Ransom OFFLINE  

Ransom

River Patroller

• 4,831 posts
  • Pre-Crash Gaming and Computing Enthusiast

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 2:52 PM

Currently at $2,260.  Unbelievable.

#3 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 31,522 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 2:53 PM

http://www.atariprot...rk/meebzork.htm

#4 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,132 posts

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 3:02 PM

So these protos are worth what say $100 a pop? Looks like someone is paying a g note too much. But then again it is goodwill so they might be righting it off for taxes.

#5 Ransom OFFLINE  

Ransom

River Patroller

• 4,831 posts
  • Pre-Crash Gaming and Computing Enthusiast

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 3:33 PM

I wonder what the two A8 carts are that are flipped over.

#6 SoundGammon OFFLINE  

SoundGammon

Stargunner

• 1,073 posts

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 3:43 PM

Gotta pay that CEO of Goodwill his millions in pay!

#7 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 25,780 posts

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 8:25 PM

Can someone read all the dates?

#8 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

River Patroller

• 4,569 posts

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 8:42 PM

It'd suck whoever bought them and dumps them only to find there's no new dump at all, all the proto binary matches existing dumps.

#9 Crimefighter OFFLINE  

Crimefighter

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 874 posts

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 10:39 PM

Pole Position is "rev H"

Centipede is "rev A"

Ball Blazer is 2/29/84

Meebzork is 5/18

Rescue on Fractus is 2/29/84

Xevious is 11/9

Pengo - can't tell

Dig Dug is 171

#10 Supergun OFFLINE  

Supergun

Dragonstomper

• 742 posts

Posted Wed Aug 3, 2016 11:15 PM

Unbelievable. For that kind of stupid money, I'm ready to toss my 5200 protos on eBay too.

They're common as crap, and not worth much at all, but to see those kinds of prices, screw it. I have a couple dozen, so I guess I'd be looking at several G's. Hells to the yes...

#11 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,132 posts

Posted Thu Aug 4, 2016 12:14 AM

Unbelievable. For that kind of stupid money, I'm ready to toss my 5200 protos on eBay too.

They're common as crap, and not worth much at all, but to see those kinds of prices, screw it. I have a couple dozen, so I guess I'd be looking at several G's. Hells to the yes...

I think the fact they are on goodwill's site might have something to do with the inflated price. I sure hope so anyhow cause that price is nuts.

#12 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 25,780 posts

Posted Thu Aug 4, 2016 9:14 AM

Pole Position is "rev H"

Centipede is "rev A"

Ball Blazer is 2/29/84

Meebzork is 5/18

Rescue on Fractus is 2/29/84

Xevious is 11/9

Pengo - can't tell

Dig Dug is 171

Pole Position is "rev H" - No idea.  I've never heard of a revision H before.  All the Rev A's I've run into are the final versions though.
Centipede is "rev A" - Final
Ball Blazer is 2/29/84 - Almost final.  This is going to still have the name on the splash screen
Meebzork is 5/18 - This is the final version of the first version.  AKA the 'shooting' version.
Rescue on Fractus is 2/29/84 - Same as Ball Blazer
Xevious is 11/9 - AFAIK this versio hasn't been dumped, but it might be the one from the old Sean Kelly multicart since I never could find a date for that one.   
Pengo - can't tell
Dig Dug is 171 - Final

There's really nothing interesting in this lot, at least from a new version perspective.  

#13 Crimefighter OFFLINE  

Crimefighter

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 874 posts

Posted Thu Aug 4, 2016 4:28 PM

Someone bid it up...that's for certain.  The starting bid wasn't that much.

Rev H - that could had been an A and just sloppy penmanship.

#14 mmbe OFFLINE  

mmbe

Chopper Commander

• 164 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2016 11:23 AM

So these protos are worth what say $100 a pop? Looks like someone is paying a g note too much. But then again it is goodwill so they might be righting it off for taxes.

They can't completely write it off on their taxes.  They are buying something, not making a direct donation of money.  When you buy something from a charitable auction, you can only claim a deduction for the amount you paid over the fair market value.  For example, if the fair market value is $100 and you buy it at an auction for $75, there is no charitable deduction allowed.  If the fair market value is $100 and you pay $200, you can deduct $100.

Enough of the tax lesson.  They're paying too much.  Must be nice to have money to spend recklessly.

#15 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,132 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2016 8:55 PM

They can't completely write it off on their taxes.  They are buying something, not making a direct donation of money.  When you buy something from a charitable auction, you can only claim a deduction for the amount you paid over the fair market value.  For example, if the fair market value is $100 and you buy it at an auction for $75, there is no charitable deduction allowed.  If the fair market value is $100 and you pay $200, you can deduct $100.

Enough of the tax lesson.  They're paying too much.  Must be nice to have money to spend recklessly.

Value of these could be taken at the price of say $100 to $200 as a system & games lot so they get a $2k write off. Someone looking to write these off would surely have no issue doing math like that.

#16 Atari_Bill OFFLINE  

Atari_Bill

Stargunner

• 1,674 posts

Posted Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:08 PM

I gave up shopping the Goodwill site some time ago. The prices there are beyond ridiculous. I see a couple of the same buyers on there over and over buying much of the retro gaming items for insane amounts. I guess if you can legally manage to write off some portion of the purchase it makes a little more sense.

#17 swlovinist OFFLINE  

swlovinist

Stargunner

• 1,870 posts
  • I heart videogames!

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:00 PM

There has been speculation that Shopgoodwill bids up their own auctions.  There has been a worker that has admitted to bidding on items, but was not clear why.  They are so ripe for a class action lawsuit about this.  

#18 atari181 OFFLINE  

atari181

River Patroller

• 3,011 posts

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:35 PM

There has been speculation that Shopgoodwill bids up their own auctions.  There has been a worker that has admitted to bidding on items, but was not clear why.  They are so ripe for a class action lawsuit about this.

This has been documented many times. I used to buy on the site regularly, however that was many years ago.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users