IGNORED

The SNES/Super Famicom discussion thread!

As the title says, this thread is for discussing anything about the SNES or Super Famicom. From posts about games you've acquired or played recently, your collections, or any random thoughts about the platform, all are welcome here.

Post do not have to be directly about the SNES, so anything relevant can be posted here.

So, as a way to get this discussion rolling, I want to ask: what are your favourite SNES games? Mine would be Mega Man X (as the game has some of the best controls and level design of any platformer, in my opinion), and Wario's Woods (as it is just a great multiplayer puzzle game to play alongside a friend, and is fairly unique).

• Like 3

attachicon.gif F zero.jpgI would say that one of my favourite Super Nintendo games has to be F Zero. In my opinion, It has great graphics, an outstanding soundtrack and most importantly, awesome gameplay! :D :D :D

F-Zero would certainly have to be up there! A great game all round. Amazing how they made the game look so convincingly 3-D on a 16-bit console

• Like 1

For favorite SNES games, I think ActRaiser 1 and 2 are my top two games. The first I used to play a ton, I love the whole RPG/Sim hybrid, and it was just a lot of fun while the 2nd game I just like even if I got mad failing at Death Field and the final boss a ton. Other than those, Super Mario World (Of course, it was just a lot of fun/first SNES game I played) and DOOM (I love me some DOOM) would have to go up there on my list.

• Like 1

I'm constantly torn on if I should say the NES or the SNES is my favorite system. I'm ultimately coming down on the side of the SNES, simply because while the NES is my sentimental favorite, realistically the SNES is everything the NES was, just a little bit better.

• Like 4

I'm constantly torn on if I should say the NES or the SNES is my favorite system. I'm ultimately coming down on the side of the SNES, simply because while the NES is my sentimental favorite, realistically the SNES is everything the NES was, just a little bit better.

For me, the SNES holds my sentiments, as that was my first ever console. But, the NES certainly did have a lot of fun and revolutionary games, too, and is fun to play. I do have less exposure to the console, however, so I may be highly biased.

• Like 1

My favorite SNES games are kinda varied but almost always come back to two titles...

Mega Man X

and

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest

I like a lot of SNES titles in general, but those two are easily my favorites.

Original X might be easy but still just feels the best of the first 3.

Got hooked on DKC2 over the first one for whatever reason. I think it's the better and more varied title. (Also quite a bit harder than the first.)

Honorable mentions For SNES is...

Super Mario World - Loooove the cape~

Wild Guns - Would love to own an actual cart but screw paying $200+ for this

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Fun title that I'm just awful at

Pink Panther in Pink Goes to Hollywood - A very strange title that has weird locations but fun (often difficult) platforming.

My favorite SNES games are kinda varied but almost always come back to two titles...

Mega Man X

and

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest

I like a lot of SNES titles in general, but those two are easily my favorites.

Original X might be easy but still just feels the best of the first 3.

Got hooked on DKC2 over the first one for whatever reason. I think it's the better and more varied title. (Also quite a bit harder than the first.)

Honorable mentions For SNES is...

Super Mario World - Loooove the cape~

Wild Guns - Would love to own an actual cart but screw paying $200+ for this

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Fun title that I'm just awful at

Pink Panther in Pink Goes to Hollywood - A very strange title that has weird locations but fun (often difficult) platforming.

I do certainly agree with the choices of Mega Man X and Donkey Kong Country 2. Both are amazing platformers, but I remember being quite awful at DKC2. However, I personally haven't played any of the other Mega Man X games, as the cartridges are so expensive nowadays! That's one of the problems of collecting SNES games: they are pricy, especially over here in Britain.

• Like 1

The rising cost of SNES games (especially the big name or cult classics) is why I went ahead and invested in a Super Everdrive.

(SD2SNES is the better one but didn't need expanded capability for double cost.)

Regardless of which you choose, a one time cost of $130 to $200+ is quite a bit cheaper than buying just a few high cost titles. Totally worth the investment.

All I lack at this time is GB everdrive, N64 everdrive, and the GBA everdrive when it releases.

• Like 1

The SNES is awesome! I was a late adopter (got it in 1995) but I love it. I remember buying it, along with Samurai Showdown, Super Castlevania IV, and Super Mario World the day after Christmas at KB Toys. I think I picked up Zelda III a week later. My favorite game ever, Chrono Trigger, was originally released on the SNES, and that's the first game I pulled an all nighter with. I borrowed it from a friend, and beat it within a week. I'm actually in the middle of a play-through with my own copy right now:

aFY5Wza.jpg

During the early 2000's, when I started collecting seriously, I grabbed some great titles from eBay, flea markets, and game stores. Other than Chrono Trigger and the other games I mentioned above, some of my favorites include:

-Final Fight

-UN Squadron

-Demon's Crest

-Super Mario Kart

-FZero (I still need a copy)

-TMNT: Turtles In Time (I need one of these too)

-Super Metroid

-Super Baseball Simulator 1000

-Super Baseball 2020

-Side Pocket

-Space Megaforce

-Axelay

-Super Nova (one of the Darius games)

-Street Fighter Alpha 2

Speaking of Street Fighter Alpha 2...

FBvR6Ll.jpg

I played through it a couple nights ago using Guy. This version always impresses the hell out of me, because the SNES is so underpowered compared to the other consoles it was ported to. Yes, the sound sucks, and yes there are weird delays here and there, but it plays and looks great!

PyTAXi0.jpg

• Like 3

The rising cost of SNES games (especially the big name or cult classics) is why I went ahead and invested in a Super Everdrive.

(SD2SNES is the better one but didn't need expanded capability for double cost.)

Regardless of which you choose, a one time cost of $130 to $200+ is quite a bit cheaper than buying just a few high cost titles. Totally worth the investment.

All I lack at this time is GB everdrive, N64 everdrive, and the GBA everdrive when it releases.

Yeah, that is worth it, but nothing can really beat owning the original cartridge. For anyone who just wants to game, though, the Everdrive is a very worthwhile investment.

The SNES is awesome! I was a late adopter (got it in 1995) but I love it. I remember buying it, along with Samurai Showdown, Super Castlevania IV, and Super Mario World the day after Christmas at KB Toys. I think I picked up Zelda III a week later. My favorite game ever, Chrono Trigger, was originally released on the SNES, and that's the first game I pulled an all nighter with. I borrowed it from a friend, and beat it within a week. I'm actually in the middle of a play-through with my own copy right now:

aFY5Wza.jpg

During the early 2000's, when I started collecting seriously, I grabbed some great titles from eBay, flea markets, and game stores. Other than Chrono Trigger and the other games I mentioned above, some of my favorites include:

-Final Fight

-UN Squadron

-Demon's Crest

-Super Mario Kart

-FZero (I still need a copy)

-TMNT: Turtles In Time (I need one of these too)

-Super Metroid

-Super Baseball Simulator 1000

-Super Baseball 2020

-Side Pocket

-Space Megaforce

-Axelay

-Super Nova (one of the Darius games)

-Street Fighter Alpha 2

Speaking of Street Fighter Alpha 2...

FBvR6Ll.jpg

I played through it a couple nights ago using Guy. This version always impresses the hell out of me, because the SNES is so underpowered compared to the other consoles it was ported to. Yes, the sound sucks, and yes there are weird delays here and there, but it plays and looks great!

PyTAXi0.jpg

I love some of your picks for your favourite games. I used to spend hours on games like Super Mario Kart, especially playing split-screen. So many good memories.

I also love replaying through older games, to just have a break from reality and revel in the nostalgia. While I'm not a fighting game person myself, that port of Street Fighter Alpha 2 really looks great, especially considering some of the hardware limitations it had to work with.

I love the SNES, I got about like 70 Games for it to play

2 I really didn't ned to Sell or Trade was Mega Man X2 & NinjaWarriors, I was on a TurboGrafx-16 Kick at the time, O thought at the time, I would get MMX2 back, But waiting to long..That was in 2011

That's quite the healthy collection, what sort of games do you have in it? I'd love to hear it!

I've stopped collecting SNES because the carts are so expensive now. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, my favorite games are Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, A Link to the Past, Super Punch-Out, Super Castlevania IV and the original Actraiser.

That seems to be a recurring theme in this thread: that SNES cartridges are so expensive. It is very unfortunate, because the only way to get the games cheaply is by sheer luck or emulation. Anyway, great choices with the games. I have a certain soft spot for Super Punch-Out. It's my favourite kind of gameplay: very simple and easy to pick up, but allows for so much depth in the mechanics, allowing for immense difficulty.

Yeah, that is worth it, but nothing can really beat owning the original cartridge.

Depends who you ask. The FPGA onboard the SD2SNES allows for video and audio streaming. Folks are reworking AAA titles with CD quality audio you can play on your actual console. Just youtube MSU-1 hacks if you haven't seen them.

If you wanted to own the actual hardware, I'd say grab a SD2SNES and the worthwhile games that currently don't work (star fox, yoshi's Island, mario rpg, the kirbys etc..)

My latest super nintendo purchase was 8bitdo's bluetooth wireless adapter.

SNES_Adapter_edited.jpg

The SNES is such a great platform. It has a great library overall but I have a major soft spot for the games released within the first year it was available. There's just a distinct style to many of them, as if the developers were really trying to go all-out with what the system was capable of.

My favorite game on the system is easily Super Castlevania IV. Whenever I stream SNES on Twitch, it's obligatory that I play that game sometime during the stream and it never fails. Other favorites are too numerous to name, but some include Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country, Super R-Type, Demon's Crest, Super Mario World, F-Zero, Star Fox, Super Metroid.

Someone above mentioned Street Fighter Alpha 2. I for some reason wasn't a fan of it back in the day, but I acquired a copy about a year ago and I have to say, it's a pretty damn solid version of the game. It is quite impressive and it looks and plays great.

• Like 3

Yeah, that is worth it, but nothing can really beat owning the original cartridge. For anyone who just wants to game, though, the Everdrive is a very worthwhile investment.

Completely agree with this statement, but it's just getting harder to afford some of the big titles I want. Wouldn't mind spending a few bucks on cheap, random, and interesting titles, but I can't justify any title more than about $60+ considering how much they add up with each cart.

I've got a decent collection as is, so I have most of what I want give or take a few rarer (expensive) titles.

Depends who you ask. The FPGA onboard the SD2SNES allows for video and audio streaming. Folks are reworking AAA titles with CD quality audio you can play on your actual console. Just youtube MSU-1 hacks if you haven't seen them.

If you wanted to own the actual hardware, I'd say grab a SD2SNES and the worthwhile games that currently don't work (star fox, yoshi's Island, mario rpg, the kirbys etc..)

My latest super nintendo purchase was 8bitdo's bluetooth wireless adapter.

SNES_Adapter_edited.jpg

I just went onto YouTube and, wow, some of those soundtracks are amazing! Mega Man X has one of my favourite soundtracks of all time, and to hear it so faithfully updated is literal music to my ears.

In addition to the Mario stuff I like Smart Ball.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Ball

I, genuinely, had never heard of that game before. It certainly looks interesting, at the very least.

The SNES is such a great platform. It has a great library overall but I have a major soft spot for the games released within the first year it was available. There's just a distinct style to many of them, as if the developers were really trying to go all-out with what the system was capable of.

I completely agree, but my sentiments lie in many 1993 games, as many of the games I had as a child were from that year. That year has two of my favourite ever games (Mega Man X and Starwing)

Completely agree with this statement, but it's just getting harder to afford some of the big titles I want. Wouldn't mind spending a few bucks on cheap, random, and interesting titles, but I can't justify any title more than about $60+ considering how much they add up with each cart.

I've got a decent collection as is, so I have most of what I want give or take a few rarer (expensive) titles.

Exactly the problem. There's just so much demand for the titles, the price is driven up immensely. My collection is rather small, and is missing many, many key games I would love to play, but I still enjoy the games I have.

I do certainly agree with the choices of Mega Man X and Donkey Kong Country 2. Both are amazing platformers, but I remember being quite awful at DKC2. However, I personally haven't played any of the other Mega Man X games, as the cartridges are so expensive nowadays! That's one of the problems of collecting SNES games: they are pricy, especially over here in Britain.

That is certainly true! I think that is partly due to the fact that in the UK, the SNES didn't sell as well as the Mega Drive and a lot of the computers at the time such as the Amiga and also partly due to the fact that even if a game sold pretty well, people tend to hold onto them and not want to sell them. I guess that the demand for a lot of these games is pretty high as a result because there are just so many classic titles on the SNES. (:

• Like 2

That is certainly true! I think that is partly due to the fact that in the UK, the SNES didn't sell as well as the Mega Drive and a lot of the computers at the time such as the Amiga and also partly due to the fact that even if a game sold pretty well, people tend to hold onto them and not want to sell them. I guess that the demand for a lot of these games is pretty high as a result because there are just so many classic titles on the SNES.

The UK's gaming culture was, for a long time, dominated by the PC market. Amiga, Amstrad, Commodore and many others were the source for gaming, as the PC's had the flexibility of also doing many non-gaming activities. The better-selling Mega Drive also contributes to the apparent rarity of SNES games here. I am in the category of those who hang on to expensive games: my copy of Mega Man X isn't going anywhere soon!

• Like 1

As the title says, this thread is for discussing anything about the SNES or Super Famicom. From posts about games you've acquired or played recently, your collections, or any random thoughts about the platform, all are welcome here.

Hi Rhys,

The Super Nintendo will always be one of my favorite units ever. Just like the Neo-Geo for me, its a timeless classic that I'll never get bored. Such excellent titles to express emotions over that really made in impact on my life. :)

The RPG titles are always fun to play and I have a blast playing Star Fox lately on my Super NES. I have others that are too long to say. But the SNES is always a pleasure taking out and playing!

Thanks for starting this Rhys. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

The UK's gaming culture was, for a long time, dominated by the PC market. Amiga, Amstrad, Commodore and many others were the source for gaming, as the PC's had the flexibility of also doing many non-gaming activities. The better-selling Mega Drive also contributes to the apparent rarity of SNES games here. I am in the category of those who hang on to expensive games: my copy of Mega Man X isn't going anywhere soon!

You are the problem here, Rhys! How could you possibly be so selfish and thoughtless as to not sell these games! Only joking, mate. I wouldn't sell my copy of Mega Man X... If I had one... :(

• Like 1

Hi Rhys,

The Super Nintendo will always be one of my favorite units ever. Just like the Neo-Geo for me, its a timeless classic that I'll never get bored. Such excellent titles to express emotions over that really made in impact on my life. :)

The RPG titles are always fun to play and I have a blast playing Star Fox lately on my Super NES. I have others that are too long to say. But the SNES is always a pleasure taking out and playing!

Thanks for starting this Rhys. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Anthony...

Thanks Anthony for the support! I have really found enjoyment in starting up my own thread, and talking about the SNES. It truly is a console that never loses it's enjoyment. I enjoy Star Fox/Starwing also. Really impressive graphics for a 16-Bit console, and addictive gameplay as well!

You are the problem here, Rhys! How could you possibly be so selfish and thoughtless as to not sell these games! Only joking, mate. I wouldn't sell my copy of Mega Man X... If I had one... :(

The game has so many memories, I really can't imagine letting it go. Although I could do without the 16 number password screen. The horror when you lose the piece of paper you wrote it down on!

• Like 2