Atari800MacX macOS Sierra sound not working

58 replies to this topic

#51 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,276 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:50 AM

Well, I got an used Macbook Pro 2015 with a newly installed El Capitan. I installed Logic 9 and then upgraded to Sierra.
I play music and get no crash. Do you have some plugins installed?

Just the Apple ones, and all of them pass Apple's first-load plug-in audit. Nothing here has changed in my Logic setup since I bought it years ago. I'm a hobbyist, not a pro. Everything there is overkill for what I do but the power and flexibility is unparalleled.

Anyway, it's all moot for me. I'm done with trying to make it work - at some point this summer I even wiped my drive, reinstalled El Cap from scratch, updated to Sierra, reinstalled Logic Pro from scratch from the App Store ... and it still crashes. I've also still experienced graphical corruption and glitches since two builds ago again ... They went away and now came back. I'm very concerned that changes to the graphical system and video drivers in Sierra are pushing this ancient hardware too far. It's only got 256MB of dedicated video RAM on the discrete GPU and it just can't handle what Sierra is doing. Too bad. I probably need to downgrade back to El Cap and call it good. Or better yet, find a few thousand bucks under a mattress in a couple months whenever the long-awaited new MBP's are finally released.

But hey, Auria Pro for iOS was on sale for 50% off last weekend - $25 for a 48 track solid state recording/MIDI sequencing system complete and pro-level plug-in support is impossible to beat.

Edited by DrVenkman, Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:50 AM.

#52 apemaster OFFLINE  

apemaster

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 AM

Long discussion, but still no solution?

#53 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,276 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:59 AM

Long discussion, but still no solution?

If you read the whole thread, the problem is that Atari800MacX is just obsolete under current versions of OS X. So, no solution until and unless someone can rewrite the portions of the code that use the deprecated sound libraries and recompile. So far, no one has stepped up to the task.

#54 apemaster OFFLINE  

apemaster

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:23 AM

Yes, that's what I mean. No solution yet. Too bad. Altirra is quite annoying, compared to Atari800MacX.

#55 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,276 posts

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:01 PM

Yes, that's what I mean. No solution yet. Too bad. Altirra is quite annoying, compared to Atari800MacX.

As someone who used Atari800MacX for a number of years, I tend to agree. I was a "Mac guy" from almost 14 years and although Altirra runs under CrossOver/WINE, the configuration menus make me CRAZY. It's a wonderful emulator and by far the most full-featured, it seems to me, but I would kill for a single configuration window with tabs for each set of options, and all accessible without the repeated visits to multiple drop-down windows over and over and over ... Much like Atari800MacX has available, as a matter of fact. 

However, even with that jarring (to Mac people) series of menus, it's fantastic - I can emulate my real hardware, complete with mods like the U1MB and its particular firmware/OS/BASIC combinations, and use or test it as needed even when I don't have access to my Atari machines. I'll tolerate the UI for all the amazing features.

#56 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 696 posts

Posted Thu May 11, 2017 5:42 PM

What about collecting money for someone who brings back the sound to our Atari800MacX emulator by using the published source code?

http://www.atarimac....tari800macx.php

#57 andrew@meler.us OFFLINE  

andrew@meler.us

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I'm a long time Atari800Mac user.  

Today (May 15, 2017) core audio is again available on Sierra:

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT207797

Can someone confirm this update fixes the no-sound issue with Atari800Mac ?  I won't be able to try this for few days.

Thanks

#58 skr OFFLINE  

skr

Dragonstomper

• 614 posts
  • Ready

Posted Mon May 15, 2017 2:12 PM

Nope, still crashes.

#59 Ripdubski OFFLINE  

Ripdubski

Stargunner

• 1,233 posts