IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

With that logic, they should have also slapped Telstar, Gemini, Adam and Cabbage Patch Kids on the box too. The Colecovision product has nothing to do with the squat on Coleco as a zombie brand. When Coleco still existed they called the things these resemble table top arcades. This just looks like an Americanized version of those grey market Chinese knock off game systems. They should have called it Super Happy Fun Joy Original New Edition.

I disagree with the sentiment that old style LCD games are out of place in 2019 and personally find it disapointing to see such a comment since these games can be fun in their own right (I'm actually liking the segmented Ms. Pac-Man better that what I played of fully animated version. No slowdown of ghosts in tunnels in the walmart one, which can be quite frustrating at times).

I'm the same way myself. I think the old style LCD (and possibly VFD if they could make them) style games can still be a lot of fun. In fact, when done right, they tend to have a charm all their own. If nothing else, they are perfect little time killers, which is what they were meant to be in the first place. While I do like the new, fully animated style games we can get now, I still can't help but miss the time when the LCD and VFD games were the kings of handhelds, (along with LED, which is still done on the reproduction Mattel sports titles). I just got the segmented Ms. Pac-Man yesterday and the only real complaint I have is that it seems harder than other versions I have played. Other than that, I love it! The mazes change and there are even custom made intermissions on it! Well, at least one as I was only able to make it one level more before using up my last life. I am now pondering that Segmented Galaga as that is basically what we would have had if the Coleco line had stayed alive long enough to produce a Galaga for the their tabletop arcade line.

I like these Super Impulse offerings and will try to continue to collect for a while, but their retail presence and availability all around sucks. Places like Walmart have only ever stocked the first 3 or 4 games and don't seem to be interested in carrying the rest of the machines. When first released, could only find them at Cracker Barrel too. Now it seems even *they* have discontinued selling the line.

Frogger, Galaga and Dig Dug have yet to show in any stores around here and it's been quite a while since their "release".

I'm surprised I still have mine. :D I tried to get rid of them in a bundle with no luck. As for now the nice 2in1 sits on my desk as I like that one as it has the 2 more interesting titles to me Ms Pacman and Galaga. Whenever they really do arrive I think once I see how they work Tetris and/or Pole Position could be interesting though.

Eh, they're neat, and I got the first 4, but I figure they may as well be a functional Hallmark ornament for all the real playability with these tired old eyes. The problem with tiny games is that they're tiny.

I am 56 so yes,I do need to where glasses when I play them!?

even if you are good at these games. playing them for long periods of time is terrible.

i played the pac-man one for a half-hour to 100k and quit, my fingers were cramping,

and my eyes were tired. yes, i wear glasses, and am old(er).

anyways, these things were meant for kids, and are novelty toys. i know that.

they are meant to be played for a few minutes, at a time, and thats it.

i can last longer on ms pac-man, but dig dug has terrible controls, so its not worth it.

i'm thinking tetris might be playable. rally-x is a super hard game, but will still probably get it.

pole position should be good, since it's short, but the framerate will be bad.

q-bert is the only real game, that should work well, but we'll see how the diagonal moves go.

later

I have the Tiny Arcade Frogger. The music isn't as good as in other versions, but it plays very well. One oddity is that the otter often stays in one place and the snake often moves over water. As far as I can tell, the snake's tail can be ridden on, but the snake is small is this version. Also, when playing Frogger on Xbox 360 and Mame, I noticed some input drops and occasional slowdowns when in the top row, mostly when near the edge of the screen. Does this happen on the real arcade machine?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Q*Bert video gave me the impression that the controls may be a bit oversensitive. I may be mistaken, but Q*Bert seemed to move multiple times whenever the joystick was moved.

edit: Watched again and it looked like he was able to stop, so I was mistaken.

Edited by BrianC

I still can't source that Tetris at all locally. Seems to be a reoccurring problem how much either they or Walmart just plain suck.

It isn't even for sale in the Super Impulse Amazon store,I found them by accident through a search on the regular Amazon site.

And they are being shipped through another company.

I see the Qbert/Tetris pair being offered by someone on eBay for $48 shipped. These are getting pricey... or is it just because they're the latest offerings? Think I'm going to wait for them to come down a bit this time and grab the 4 at the same time. $20ea. shipped is what most all of the original offerings all are. $15-$17 shipped for the oldest.

I see the Qbert/Tetris pair being offered by someone on eBay for $48 shipped. These are getting pricey... or is it just because they're the latest offerings? Think I'm going to wait for them to come down a bit this time and grab the 4 at the same time. $20ea. shipped is what most all of the original offerings all are. $15-$17 shipped for the oldest.

I paid $48. for the pair shipped because I wanted them now,but I am sure they will be at Walmart and other places for less than $20. very soon.