IGNORED

blue and red color bleed

the_tubes

I have an Atari 2800 (Sears Video Arcade II) and I get this annoying color artifacts on the screen where the blue and red is offset a little to the right and left causing distortion in the image. I have messed with the pots but all those do is adjust the color, sound signal, and channel signal. I have also replaced all the electrolytic and film caps in hopes that fixes my problem but still nothing so I am hoping someone knows what the deal is because everything looks fine on the board so I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

Images of what I am talking about.

http://imgur.com/a/kWa5e

Edited by the_tubes

If you turn the color down a bit you can reduce it but there is nothing wrong with your Television set or your Atari - you've got one of the better models that artifacts really well; some home computers like the CoCo could achieve high resolution color modes only through the use of artifacting.

The Atari has so many colors programmers don't usually use artifact colors intentionally, but check out what happens when an Atari game is specifically designed for maximum artifacting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aghqgf6qqRw

Not all Atari models can artifact equally - this game should look great on your unmodded 2800! :)

If you add a composite mod you are likely to lose all artifacting though there is no reason someone couldn't design such a mod to preserve or even enhance artifacting.

you will still get artifacting with composite, its the same signal minus the rf carrier

You may still get some artifacting with a composite mod but imo you need a lot of chroma to get artifacting that looks as good as this; the composite mod that RadioShack did for the Color Computer in the 80's initially did not support artifacting because it cleaned up the signal too much.

If done right it's the same amount of chroma you would get anyway... don't see where this is helping the op though... what does a trs 80 have to do with an Atari having a case of super extra bleed that is not common for the systen

Focus please

Edited by Osgeld

If done right it's the same amount of chroma you would get anyway... don't see where this is helping the op though... what does a trs 80 have to do with an Atari having a case of super extra bleed that is not common for the systen

Focus please

It's common for some models of the VCS, there's alot of variability. My Jr doesn't bleed chroma much, just enough for moderate artifacting. My Vader on the other hand, looks alot like the OP's 2800.

I find artifacting fascinating because you can multiply the bit-plane for free! I wrote games on the TRS-80 to leverage artifacting in the 80's and like using the technique today on the Atari to do things you would otherwise need an extra CPU to do; all Atari's aren't equal, you really need one like the OP's to experience the full range and magnitude of effects that are possible.

StarBlitz playing on an Atari like the OP's with lots of chroma output:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJukQwlaU9s

StarBlitz on the Jr with less chroma still showing artifacting, but alot less:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHJrPY6bQY

Curious which system display do you think is more fun? IMO it's cool to have them both because the same games have a different feel, so I think the OP should get a second Atari and not change this one! :)