IGNORED

keyboard not working at all

derekn

I'm cleaning out my parents' house and found my old TI-99/4A buried in a closet. Everything looks in pretty good condition, so I decided to try powering it up. It boots fine, but the keyboard doesn't work at all -- I can't get past the "press any key" screen. Actually, I got to the BASIC prompt once, but couldn't type anything past that.

I remember I replaced the keyboard with one of the Radio Shack surplus models back when I was a kid. It turns out I even bought a spare and stashed it away, still in the original RS packaging. Swapping that in didn't help at all :-(

Given that I got a key to work once, I was guessing it's some sort of mechanical issue -- loose connector or whatever. But replacing the keyboard didn't help, so I don't know.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to try?

I'm cleaning out my parents' house and found my old TI-99/4A buried in a closet. Everything looks in pretty good condition, so I decided to try powering it up. It boots fine, but the keyboard doesn't work at all -- I can't get past the "press any key" screen. Actually, I got to the BASIC prompt once, but couldn't type anything past that.

I remember I replaced the keyboard with one of the Radio Shack surplus models back when I was a kid. It turns out I even bought a spare and stashed it away, still in the original RS packaging. Swapping that in didn't help at all :-(

Given that I got a key to work once, I was guessing it's some sort of mechanical issue -- loose connector or whatever. But replacing the keyboard didn't help, so I don't know.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to try?

If it's one of the membrane type keyboards, even the new one never used could have failed just over time.

If it's the solder type i would try some contact cleaner to see if that will work on the keyboard and the connector pins at the motherboard.

If that does not work, then you could always upgrade it to a the USB keyboard adapter. HERE

Disclaimer: should work unless there is some other issue.

Edited by Shift838

If it's one of the membrane type keyboards, even the new one never used could have failed just over time.

Good call. I swapped in the original black keyboard, and now at least some of the keys work. I don't have any contact cleaner on hand, but I guess that might help.

So... anyone in the Ithaca, NY area looking for a mostly working TI-99/4A system? I have a PEB, various floppy drives,

speech synthesizer, several cartridges. (And a 12" Zenith green-screen monitor, which was all I could afford back then, but I'm kind of guessing no one wants that.)

So... anyone in the Ithaca, NY area looking for a mostly working TI-99/4A system? I have a PEB, various floppy drives,

speech synthesizer, several cartridges. (And a 12" Zenith green-screen monitor, which was all I could afford back then, but I'm kind of guessing no one wants that.)

What are you asking plus PA 18326 shipping? For be it would have to be the deal of the century but I figured I'd ask.

I'd be happy to give this system to someone for the cost of shipping. I'm not going to use it, but it's pretty cool that there are still folks out there with running 99/4A systems. (I have way too many hobbies already...)

Here's what I have:

• TI-99/4A (black & silver)
  • original black keyboard (about half the keys work)
  • two tan keyboards from Radio Shack (not working at all)
  • speech synthesizer
  • Zenith 12" green monitor
  • PEB
  • TI disk controller card
  • TI memory expansion card
  • full height 5.25" floppy drive
  • two half-height 5.25" floppy drives
  • GE cassette deck ("Computer Program Data Recorder")
  • pair of TI joysticks
  • Spectravision QuickShot joystick
  • cartridges: Parsec, Mini Memory, Extened BASIC, Music Maker, Pole Position, Star Trek, Editor/Assembler, Disk Manager 2
  • disks: Editor/Assembler, TI Forth
  • cassettes: Line-by-line assembler, Republic Software Utilities I
  • manuals for pretty much everything, including TI service manuals with schematics

This stuff is mostly untested. I loaded up Parsec -- which is a little hard to play with half a keyboard, but the machine boots and the monitor works. I haven't even unboxed the PEB.