IGNORED

HRD setup questions (MAME specific...maybe)

etownandy

I have two slots free in my 4A config on MAME. One of the pieces of hardware I never got to use when I had real hardware was the Horizon RAMdisk. I'd like to play around with such a beast in my virtual setup.

It was easy enough to drop a couple of HRD 4000s in slot 6 and 7 of my virtual PEB, but of course, nothing happens. I was half-hoping they'd "magically" appear as DSK5 and 6, but I did remember something about a ROS that needed to be loaded.

I found a BudMills folder in the PC99 disk images section of whtech, but have no idea what I'm looking for or what it might be called. Can someone help guide me through the setup process and what I'd need to get these rolling?

Once that (whatever it is) is complete, will MAME see the HRDs as the next drive numbers in series (5 and 6 in my case, using the BWG controller with 4 DS/DD drives)? Do the drives retain their contents between sessions like a disk or hd image?

My main goal is to get a pretty well stocked FWeb system going, with such niceties as Asgard's Spell-It on the Horizon. I'm simply out of storage with emulating floppies and want something a lot bigger than 360K.

I have two slots free in my 4A config on MAME. One of the pieces of hardware I never got to use when I had real hardware was the Horizon RAMdisk. I'd like to play around with such a beast in my virtual setup.

It was easy enough to drop a couple of HRD 4000s in slot 6 and 7 of my virtual PEB, but of course, nothing happens. I was half-hoping they'd "magically" appear as DSK5 and 6, but I did remember something about a ROS that needed to be loaded.

I found a BudMills folder in the PC99 disk images section of whtech, but have no idea what I'm looking for or what it might be called. Can someone help guide me through the setup process and what I'd need to get these rolling?

Once that (whatever it is) is complete, will MAME see the HRDs as the next drive numbers in series (5 and 6 in my case, using the BWG controller with 4 DS/DD drives)? Do the drives retain their contents between sessions like a disk or hd image?

My main goal is to get a pretty well stocked FWeb system going, with such niceties as Asgard's Spell-It on the Horizon. I'm simply out of storage with emulating floppies and want something a lot bigger than 360K.

So I thought I had it, but i did not so I pounded one out real quick. This is what i used. Now with the TI if you have 4 Floppy drives hooked up then you will max out one HRD with DSK5,6,7,8,9 maxing the sectors out to 1600. So, putting in a second RAM disk does not look possible. Maybe Michael Zapf can chime in to make sure I am right on that part.

But here is a PDF with a step by step that I did.

Horizon RAM Disk Setup with MAME.pdf

• Like 1

That's right. Thanks Tim! I forgot.

So with more than one RAMDISK you should be able to go through the same process in the doc, just make sure the CRU is changed for the second HRD. I think I used 1200 and then 1400 CRU in MAME before.

Tim,

Is ROS 8.32 available for download somewhere now? I know 8.14F is on the FTP site.

Edited by Shift838

As I also tested the newer ROS 832xyz this time, I couldn´t find out until today which one is the newest version.

There maybe was an "e" and an "f" confused inside one of the DSKs, or on the ZIP-name ? Or something like this.

Or a newer interim-version came with an older date/name, and rested. But I am not sure about.

So I thought I had it, but i did not so I pounded one out real quick. This is what i used. Now with the TI if you have 4 Floppy drives hooked up then you will max out one HRD with DSK5,6,7,8,9 maxing the sectors out to 1600. So, putting in a second RAM disk does not look possible. Maybe Michael Zapf can chime in to make sure I am right on that part.

Ehm ... I'm not sure whether you can set up two HRD in parallel. Does it work in the real system?

Concerning your Howto, could you send me a package of your images and text so that I can add this to Ninerpedia? It's a bit cumbersome to copy that out of the PDF file.

Ehm ... I'm not sure whether you can set up two HRD in parallel. Does it work in the real system?

Multiple, physical RAMdisks will work in the same system, so long as each card is assigned a unique CRU address via its respective on-board DIP switch. Drive letters are expected to be unique within the system, though CFG does not try to determine which are in use. The user must keep track of what drives were already allocated within CFG when configuring/formatting RAMdisk drives.

Concerning your Howto, could you send me a package of your images and text so that I can add this to Ninerpedia? It's a bit cumbersome to copy that out of the PDF file.

I will be updating the instructions tonight to show 2 ram disk in the same system and probably using the new 8.32 ROS. Once i have it done I will send the source word doc to you privately so you can copy the text and all easier.

Sound good?

• Like 2

That all worked fine (thank you very much) but then I re-discovered that from the central menu, you can't specify various drives for various programs. But I think I can work around it by having the E/A side go to the RAMdisk and the TIW side go to a floppy image. I'll have to try the new ROS, too...setting these to 1600 gives me 400K, or not a whole lot more than a DS/DD disk image would give me anyway.

Really appreciate the help. It's great finally getting to play with an HRD.

Oh, and I did manage to get two HRDs in the system. The ROS detected both, but refused to let me partition the second one out. I maxed out the drive numbers, but still have letters to play with. The ROS sees them, but the only one I can set Disk parameters for seems to be the first one. The second is set at CRU 1700 (this is a 4A with BWG, RS232, speech card [no cru there, right?], and the EVPC).

That all worked fine (thank you very much) but then I re-discovered that from the central menu, you can't specify various drives for various programs. But I think I can work around it by having the E/A side go to the RAMdisk and the TIW side go to a floppy image. I'll have to try the new ROS, too...setting these to 1600 gives me 400K, or not a whole lot more than a DS/DD disk image would give me anyway.

Really appreciate the help. It's great finally getting to play with an HRD.

Also with the new ROSCFG832 you can get up to 3200 sectors per drive. I did verify that.

• Like 1

CFG'ROS832 has been stable for a couple of years now. The late Great Gazoo used it and I have had it installed for quite some time. The thread dealt mainly with the ability of the CFG program to identify any other cards installed in the system. Having, for example a 3200-sector workspace partition allows for the temporary storage of a multitude of materials. I used it as an intermediate stop to store 7 or so archived disks prior to transferring them to my PC for permanent backup.

• Like 1

I wonder if Funnelweb is doing something wonky. Last time I tried, I was in DiskReview when I started getting device errors. So I reconfigured/formatted everything and tried again, but this time used DM-1000. I was able to copy files just fine. I got all the files I needed on the drive, and used FWeb Config to point everything to DSK5. When I saved the config back to the drive, I got an error. Whenever these errors occur, the drive is completely gone - nothing can see it and everything reports errors.

Anyone aware of any incompatibilities between Funnelweb and HRDs? It seems like that would have caused quite a stir back in the day.

Did some more exploring, and managed to blow the ROS with Disk Utilities 4.2 as well. DM-1000 hasn't given me the slightest trouble. At any rate, I managed to get everything to fit on a DS/DD disk, with the HRD in use for the Spell-It dictionary. Strange the DR and DU seem to pretty consistently mess things up, while DM does not.

I wonder if Funnelweb is doing something wonky. Last time I tried, I was in DiskReview when I started getting device errors. So I reconfigured/formatted everything and tried again, but this time used DM-1000. I was able to copy files just fine. I got all the files I needed on the drive, and used FWeb Config to point everything to DSK5. When I saved the config back to the drive, I got an error. Whenever these errors occur, the drive is completely gone - nothing can see it and everything reports errors.

Anyone aware of any incompatibilities between Funnelweb and HRDs? It seems like that would have caused quite a stir back in the day.

What version of ROS and CFG are you using? And from what source?

ROS 8.14 was what I started with, then I used CFG832E to get the size up from 1600 to 3200. I got CFG832E from the post referenced above. 8.14 I got from a mirror of WHTECH (www.disavowed.jp/mirrors/whtech.com/emulators/pc99/utils/) With DM-1000 I can read and copy to/from the HRD all day long (using MAME). The moment I try to read from DSKU or DR I get a device error, and the drive is unreadable by anything after that. For the playing around I want to do, this works just fine for me (I don't want to sound like I'm whining about it). But it is curious.

Edited by etownandy