IGNORED

Tandy 1000 EX hopeless?

cbmeeks

My search skills are failing me.

I really want to play some games on my Tandy 1000 EX. Unfortunately, I only have the base unit. No software. Games on eBay are too expensive thanks to scalpers.

So I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy. A CF drive inside would be ideal if that option exists. If not, then eBay games it is.

I feel like I have a beautiful vintage car with no way to put gas in it.

Kings Quest looks fun. Any other recommendations? I like platformers, Zelda like games, etc.

But just getting the software on the computer is proving to be a challenge.

Thanks.

Just search for a USB Floppy Disk Drive Emulator.
Make sure it says it's PC compatible.
You'll probably need a 3.5" to 5.25" drive adapter.

I can't remember if that machine has a high density drive or not, so you'll also need to make sure the drive emulator supports 360K if it isn't.

The drive + 5.25" adapter should run around $30 total.

*edit*

Be sure to read reviews!

Edited by JamesD

Download what you want to your modern PC and then attach the EX to it with a null modem cable and download the games to the EX.

You will need a bootable MSDOS disk and any kind of terminal program. I've been using Telix for about 30 years now.

Hard drive kits for the EX were aftermarket and you'd probably stand a better chance at winning the lottery than finding one.

Also, the external floppy drive connector on the back is not standard. If you take an external 5.25 or 3.5 drive out of the case, you'll find an adapter card attached to the drive. I believe the internal drive setup was not standard either. You may have a difficult time getting a drive emulator to work.

• Like 1

There are CF and IDE interfaces, but that machine doesn't have standard slots.

I was afraid of that. So my only option of an internal hard drive/CF drive is going to be finding an authentic adapter made for the 1000 EX? That sucks.

Download what you want to your modern PC and then attach the EX to it with a null modem cable and download the games to the EX.

You will need a bootable MSDOS disk and any kind of terminal program. I've been using Telix for about 30 years now.

Hard drive kits for the EX were aftermarket and you'd probably stand a better chance at winning the lottery than finding one.

Also, the external floppy drive connector on the back is not standard. If you take an external 5.25 or 3.5 drive out of the case, you'll find an adapter card attached to the drive. I believe the internal drive setup was not standard either. You may have a difficult time getting a drive emulator to work.

Thanks. That's better than nothing. I've ordered some DOS disks. Do you know how I can get Telix on disk?

Do you have an older internet capable PC that you can install a 5.25 drive in? That may be the easiest alternative...just download everything off the web to your HD and then copy to floppy disks that you can use in your EX.

As far as hard drives, I believe you can build an adapter to connect an old mfm or rll controller card but it would require soldering a lot of wires and finding an adapter that fits the EX port. I began that project back in the day but ended up selling the EX and buying an SL and then installing a 32 meg hardcard.

Do you have an older internet capable PC that you can install a 5.25 drive in? That may be the easiest alternative...just download everything off the web to your HD and then copy to floppy disks that you can use in your EX.

As far as hard drives, I believe you can build an adapter to connect an old mfm or rll controller card but it would require soldering a lot of wires and finding an adapter that fits the EX port. I began that project back in the day but ended up selling the EX and buying an SL and then installing a 32 meg hardcard.

Actually, an IDE board would be easier since the controller is on the drive.

But it's still not super simple because you need a boot ROM and address decoding for the port and ROM.

https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/product-category/retro-ibm-pc/

*edit*

Actually, the large chip may be a DMA controller

Edited by JamesD

• 4 weeks later...

I have a tandy 1000 ex with the memory expansion card which includes an ide interface and it is hooked up to a 32 meg cf card harddrive in this manner so it is possible. I have a photo around here somewhere I'll see if I can located it. Here it is. I purchased it this way so I know very little about it but you can get the same info from the photos.

-XT-CF-Lite v4 with 32MB compact flash card. CF is treated just like a normal ide hard drive. Has MS-Dos v3.30 installed.

Cf Xt Ide

post 21994 0 13089700 1444625904

post 21994 0 21499700 1444625864

Those lo-tech devices look to be exactly what I need. I emailed the guy and asked if I could help out with any Tandy 1000 EX testing and if he had anything to offer for that machine.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

• Like 2

Now that is very nice photo.

I have a tandy 1000 ex with the memory expansion card which includes an ide interface and it is hooked up to a 32 meg cf card harddrive in this manner so it is possible. I have a photo around here somewhere I'll see if I can located it. Here it is. I purchased it this way so I know very little about it but you can get the same info from the photos.

-XT-CF-Lite v4 with 32MB compact flash card. CF is treated just like a normal ide hard drive. Has MS-Dos v3.30 installed.

yes the ide interface is the xt ide card (the purple one ) and is connected via cable to the isa header on the memory expansion card.

There is another version that has a ide header on it for hooking up actual harddrives.

I am not sure whether the full IDE card will fit in the expansion board space in the EX and HX, but the Lotech CompactFlash Adapter will.

You may not be able to fit anything larger than a 2.5" HDD inside the EX and HX.

apparently someone managed to do by removing the bracket and squeezed the regualr xt ide in there but I'm not sure if they mounted an internal hard drive or not though. They may have just strung it outside to an exertnal. They may also ,if it was an ex, removed the 5.25 drive and used that room.

I am not sure whether the full IDE card will fit in the expansion board space in the EX and HX, but the Lotech CompactFlash Adapter will.

You may not be able to fit anything larger than a 2.5" HDD inside the EX and HX.

You can get the pcb & order the parts using a bill of materials and build one. I have the original xt ide cf lite parts & pcb which I have yet to put together but will get around to it.

you can buy the pcb non built from the designer at: Will require solder skills.

http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/xt-cf-lite

@digress

Thanks for the link! What kind of cable is that? I didn't see in the BOM what cable it used.

@Great Hierophant

I can solder SMD parts. :-D

However, I actually already have that CompactFlash PCB! I have all the parts but just haven't soldered them yet. I didn't think that card worked in the EX?? Which is why I haven't tried.

That's great to know. I will have to solder that board up ASAP!

But, can you tell me what cable that is? I only saw the one slot inside the EX but I can't tell where that thing is plugged up. My EX was covered in a "shielding blanket" that I didn't want to remove. Seriously, it was like a thick cloth cover wrapped in foil and plastic.