IGNORED

Castle of Illusion remake will be removed from sale on Friday

JamesD

Castle of Illusion remake will be removed from sale on Friday

"Due to an expiration of business terms, Sega will no longer be able to sell Castle of Illusion on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, or Steam, with the current publishing arrangement coming to an end on September 2," publisher Sega said in a statement to Polygon."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-31-castle-of-illusion-remake-will-be-removed-from-sale-on-friday

• Like 2

Damn, I'd been meaning to get that, but it's gone now. Forever, too, since it was a digital exclusive. Such is the way of the world.

Hence the problem with digital games. Physical media, there's a copy floating about somewhere, even if you have to pay through the nose for it. Digital game got pulled? Pirate it or bust... :ahoy:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I got it on android for a dollar and I think steam too awhile back, kind of wish I had my dollar back. :) I don't think it controls anywhere near as well as the original as I end up sliding off of stuff. Shame again we get yet another reminder that you do not BUY but you LEASE digital downloads. Once they're gone, they're gone unless you're into using pirated games.

Hence the problem with digital games. Physical media, there's a copy floating about somewhere, even if you have to pay through the nose for it. Digital game got pulled? Pirate it or bust... :ahoy:

Or wait for it be be re-listed.

I got it on android for a dollar and I think steam too awhile back, kind of wish I had my dollar back. :) I don't think it controls anywhere near as well as the original as I end up sliding off of stuff. Shame again we get yet another reminder that you do not BUY but you LEASE digital downloads. Once they're gone, they're gone unless you're into using pirated games.

In most cases though, isn't a delisted game still available for download if it is your purchase history?

While it's nice to see this, it has me wondering if more is happening here if Sega has an active Disney relationship going. Would be nice to see a collection of some of Sega's beloved Disney games from the Genesis, for an example.

I'd pay $15 for a collection like that, especially if M2 handled the emulation chores like is typical for Sega these days. Would've sounded crazy to say this at one time, but if Capcom can do it with NES games, someone higher up at Disney must realize that there's value here for the brand to get these classics out there again, and is being sensible with their licensing demands.

I don't need it since I have access to all this already, but just like the upcoming Capcom release, it's nice to see classics getting some attention in 2017. Especially now that classic compilations aren't everyday occurrences like they were 15 years ago,

Edited by Atariboy

In most cases though, isn't a delisted game still available for download if it is your purchase history?

Depends on the deal and situation when a license or whatever occurs causes the listing to expire. Years ago on a T-Mobile pre-Android era phone I had 2 sony games, one was loco roco. My phone got broken, replaced the same phone, SOny pulled the game weeks earlier, T-MObile told me I was screwed as they wouldn't and couldn't let me download it again because of Sony's terms so I lost my game and money. I trust nothing. :)

• Like 2

Depends, Steam still lets you download de-listed games but XBLA doesn't (not sure about PSN).

Even with re-listed games, I'm still leary about getting anything licensed by Disney/Marvel since they're so damn fickle. Yeah they delisted Marvel games since Disney believed that mobile and Infinity games are the only future. Didn't turn out that way after all...

Sony allows re-download of purchased content, even if it's been delisted from the storefront. The only exceptions that I know of are Afro Samurai 2 (with refunds given) and everything on Playstation Mobile.

There are several cases of PSN demos/free-to-play titles that can't be re-downloaded by previous 'owners' though. The P.T. demo gets the most attention, but some free-to-play games have vanished too. Fat Princess: Piece of Cake was removed from everyone's download history when the servers were shut down, even though it doesn't require the defunct online servers to play.

Glad to see the Castle of Illusion remake available again. Sega has had too many of their PSN games delisted...